Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 9, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #17,791 of 150,799
Been thinking about giving up my uppity TAS subscription for all the various reasons stated by others. Then I saw it: "Upcoming in TAS 273- Schiit Audio's remarkable Yggrasil DAC".

So they can't spell the name right. I think I'll stick around another month.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #17,792 of 150,799

I am guessing protection system is thermal protection system. Typically not something of major concern outside of power amplifiers.

Probably tied to impedance dropping below a certain point.

I know for a fact that Ragnarok will go into "protect mode" when the volume is turned past a certain point with 4Ω speakers.

Mar 9, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #17,793 of 150,799

I know for a fact that Ragnarok will go into "protect mode" when the volume is turned past a certain point with 4Ω speakers.

Somewhat correct. Power amplifier protection circuits are designed to protect the amplifier from things like working into a short circuit, working into an open circuit, output current too high/to low, output applied to a low impedance load, output device junction temperature out of tolerance, voltage low, etc., etc., for about a basketful of other items. The objective is to protect the amplifier from self immolation in case the human operator miss-applies it.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #17,794 of 150,799

My 2¢
The Rok doesn't 'like' Ω below 4Ω.

And a speaker that is rated at 4Ω usually means the Ω at it's lowest point is below that rated amount.

IOW when the current demand exceeds the ability of the amp to 'safely deliver' that amount of current, that's when the 'protection' kicks in.

JJ

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #17,796 of 150,799
Would an S/PDIF module for the Jotunheim be something that Schiit would consider making? It would use the same DAC as the USB module but with Toslink/Coaxial input instead.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:36 AM Post #17,797 of 150,799
  Would an S/PDIF module for the Jotunheim be something that Schiit would consider making? It would use the same DAC as the USB module but with Toslink/Coaxial input instead.

In the original context of the Jotunheim as a desktop amp, I can see why USB was preferred.

But as a DAC headphone/amp to pair with Freya, I can see the value of your proposal.

Mar 11, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #17,798 of 150,799
Would be interesting to see either a USB or optical/coax digital connection. I have a USB to coax converter (my PC will not take the Modi Multibit software). Would open up the Jot with DAC to the X7 producing virtual surround sound. Also CD players, cable boxes, HDTVs, etc.

Mar 11, 2017 at 2:27 PM Post #17,799 of 150,799

It's something we've talked about, but avoided in order to keep the number of stocked variants down.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 11, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #17,800 of 150,799
Going fully down the "I must get away from USB!" rabbit hole I recently sourced a lightly used ESI Juli@ xte for my PC.  It has a proper transformer coupled, low jitter S/PDIF output via its breakout cable.  I can tell you it made a noticeable difference with my Modi Multibit.  Better overall clarity and instrument separation across the board as well as superior imaging in all cases.  

I reckon that for most people, USB is fine. But if you are willing to go the extra mile there are gains to be had from adding a good S/PDIF source. 

Mar 12, 2017 at 1:29 AM Post #17,803 of 150,799
Now, why would we want to do that...............??????   
k701smile.gif

atsmile.gif

Mar 12, 2017 at 5:57 AM Post #17,804 of 150,799
  Going fully down the "I must get away from USB!" rabbit hole I recently sourced a lightly used ESI Juli@ xte for my PC.  It has a proper transformer coupled, low jitter S/PDIF output via its breakout cable.  I can tell you it made a noticeable difference with my Modi Multibit.  Better overall clarity and instrument separation across the board as well as superior imaging in all cases.  

I reckon that for most people, USB is fine. But if you are willing to go the extra mile there are gains to be had from adding a good S/PDIF source. 

I belive that id does make a difference but it's not even about signal quality. Some PCs have S/PDIF output and if they don't one can be added to them via PCIe. I can't add Output to CD players, game consoles etc.

You could always get a S/PDIF to USB converter and let Jason off the hook.

I'm pretty sure that's not a thing.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:05 AM Post #17,805 of 150,799

I belive that id does make a difference but it's not even about signal quality. Some PCs have S/PDIF output and if they don't one can be added to them via PCIe. I can't add Output to CD players, game consoles etc.
I'm pretty sure that's not a thing.

Go look, there are many such devices availabe (S/PDIF to USB). Expensive parts are not required for such a gadget, they are not wallet busters and will not affect SQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back