Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 17, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #17,221 of 150,702

You mean that the music industry is conspiring to sell us the music that we already have, again, in a cynical money-grabbing ploy?

I will take MQA seriously when someone - anyone - can differentiate a red book (16/44) playback and an MQA playback, in a credible blind test, on the same gear. I think I will be waiting a long time for that one.

MQA was made to solve a problem; to deliver high resolution recordings in a smaller stream format. I mean we could always do a zip container on a 250mb FLAC file, but its not streamable like through Tidal as the whole file have to get there before unpacking can happen. So MQA protocol allows bits and pieces to be streamed, keep an audio lock on both channels in sync and its compressed, so high res recordings are streamed in same size as a 16 bit 48khz recording uncompressed, which is about 20-25mb per normal song 3-4min long. 

For Tidal, who have to rent server space around and bandwith to deal with the demand for users who stream FLAC files, its businesswise logical that they look for a compressed format to serve a better level of high res as they do with FLAC files but same streaming cost to bandwith vendors. As for todays FLAC file streaming in Tidal, its 16/48, while switching to MQA, software decoding is 24/96/88, and those who have DACs supporting HW decode can get 24/192. 

What I DONT like about the MQA is the Hardware unlock part for 24/192. Its kindof a DRM, it can only be played to that level on qualified equipment. If you buy something you should be able to use it with every unit you have as long as you own the rights to play back the material. 

Until MQA gives vendors an option to truly be able to compare 24/96 vs 24/192 same recording, and software decoding to highest level, DAC vendors shouldnt fall for it and implement MQA ! Holding back will force MQA at some point to do full software decoding at some point instead of putting it into the hardware for the full unlock !

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:38 AM Post #17,222 of 150,702

MQA was made to solve a problem; to deliver high resolution recordings in a smaller stream format. I mean we could always do a zip container on a 250mb FLAC file, but its not streamable like through Tidal as the whole file have to get there before unpacking can happen. So MQA protocol allows bits and pieces to be streamed, keep an audio lock on both channels in sync and its compressed, so high res recordings are streamed in same size as a 16 bit 48khz recording uncompressed, which is about 20-25mb per normal song 3-4min long.

If the streaming service used homomorphic compression on the audio stream it would theoretically be possible to stream compressed files and unpack them on-the-fly during playback.

Feb 17, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #17,223 of 150,702
  If the streaming service used homomorphic compression on the audio stream it would theoretically be possible to stream compressed files and unpack them on-the-fly during playback.

True, but then you have storage space for large FLAC files in 3 different formats atleast, and the CPU process to compress on the fly on the stream protocol. MQA puts 3 different qualities into one file that suits everything from a cell phone that doesnt need to do 24/192 playback. Im just saying MQA makes sense as the protocol, but the drawback is the design with the HW decoding of 24/192! It doesnt make all DAC vendors and their customers able to compare material unless they get their DACs approved by MQA.

Feb 17, 2017 at 7:11 AM Post #17,224 of 150,702
  True, but then you have storage space for large FLAC files in 3 different formats atleast, and the CPU process to compress on the fly on the stream protocol. MQA puts 3 different qualities into one file that suits everything from a cell phone that doesnt need to do 24/192 playback. Im just saying MQA makes sense as the protocol, but the drawback is the design with the HW decoding of 24/192! It doesnt make all DAC vendors and their customers able to compare material unless they get their DACs approved by MQA.

​This all makes sense and is logical. If it was Presented in this manner or in a similar fashion to the way you put it would probably mean MQA would be accepted for what it is, a Compromise for convenience or cost savings. Veiling the Details in Marketing Speak and purporting this as a clear improvement to current lossless and Hi Res standards while trying to milk everyone in the entire cycle from production to playback is what I suspect to be the source of the pushback. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #17,225 of 150,702

For Tidal, who have to rent server space around and bandwith to deal with the demand for users who stream FLAC files, its businesswise logical that they look for a compressed format to serve a better level of high res as they do with FLAC files but same streaming cost to bandwith vendors. As for todays FLAC file streaming in Tidal, its 16/48, while switching to MQA, software decoding is 24/96/88, and those who have DACs supporting HW decode can get 24/192. 

What I DONT like about the MQA is the Hardware unlock part for 24/192. Its kindof a DRM, it can only be played to that level on qualified equipment. If you buy something you should be able to use it with every unit you have as long as you own the rights to play back the material. 

Until MQA gives vendors an option to truly be able to compare 24/96 vs 24/192 same recording, and software decoding to highest level, DAC vendors shouldnt fall for it and implement MQA ! Holding back will force MQA at some point to do full software decoding at some point instead of putting it into the hardware for the full unlock !

​The only "problems" that MQA was made to solve were on the imaginary side of the frAudiophile mind and the real money grabbing scheme on the supply side where Meridian resides.  This is not  case of frAudiophiles can not hear Schiit because they can as much as any one can.  It is when they claim to be able to hear more that normal people laugh at them and mock them for what they are. i.e. Audio-Retentive fakes.  

And Meridian?  Total ENC.  Emperor's New Clothes.  Temporal Smear my toadish ass.  Allow me to unlock these letters to better describe what any one with even a modicum on honesty can under stand.

FTN = **** That Noise.  Now I am going to Hades...

I listened to MQA encoded music at Onkyo's booth last year at T.H.E.  No difference at all and I made certain I was totally unaware of what was playing and when it was being played.  Were my eyes and ears closed and then, like my soul opened to the reverent tones that were unfolded before me as if they were the musical equivalent of unfolding the Shroud of Turin?   

Nope.  Only a snake oil salesman lies to make money NOW instead of a friend and a repeat customer.  Meridian ain't your friend.  And FTM.  To be polite, Intercourse Tidal Music.

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #17,226 of 150,702
...and anyway Meridian use D/S DAC chips that are very far from offering actual 16bit resolution so MQA makes no sense at all, start taking full advantage of the CDDA resolution and then we'll talk. But that'll surely make ppl who pony up $300 for a silly USB dongle plain happy coz they'll be ready ya know ^^

Feb 17, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #17,227 of 150,702

Sorry, that is a good story, but it does not pass the sniff test.

Bandwidth? That is a joke. There are numerous, MUCH smaller companies that stream full HD 1080 video..Gigs and Gigs with no issues.

Server space? Another joke. Tidal has had numerous massive cash investments including 25 Billion from JayZ.  

Bandcamp has MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of tracks you can download (FLAC/ALAC/AIFF?WAV) or stream (lossy) and they don't have a fraction of the operating capital that Tidal has. 

Like I said, a good story.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #17,228 of 150,702
  Sorry, that is a good story, but it does not pass the sniff test.

Bandwidth? That is a joke. There are numerous, MUCH smaller companies that stream full HD 1080 video..Gigs and Gigs with no issues.

Server space? Another joke. Tidal has had numerous massive cash investments including 25 Billion from JayZ.  

Bandcamp has MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of tracks you can download (FLAC/ALAC/AIFF?WAV) or stream (lossy) and they don't have a fraction of the operating capital that Tidal has. 

Like I said, a good story.

Spot on.

This is a power grab, pure and simple. 

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Feb 17, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #17,231 of 150,702
A potentially naive MQA question: Audirvana+, my software player of choice, announced MQA support in an upcoming version. As a Yggy owner, with zero desire to jump ship, what will this mean for me? Specifically:

– Will A+ be decoding all MQA streams into PCM, or only a subset?
– Does all MQA above Redbook require a compliant DAC, or do they split the difference?
– What exactly will a software-based MQA player be allowed to do, other than passing on the MQA bitstream?

I don't like what they appear to be doing, but I want to understand it. Thanks in advance.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #17,232 of 150,702
  A potentially naive MQA question: Audirvana+, my software player of choice, announced MQA support in an upcoming version. As a Yggy owner, with zero desire to jump ship, what will this mean for me? Specifically:

– Will A+ be decoding all MQA streams into PCM, or only a subset?
– Does all MQA above Redbook require a compliant DAC, or do they split the difference?
– What exactly will a software-based MQA player be allowed to do, other than passing on the MQA bitstream?

I don't like what they appear to be doing, but I want to understand it. Thanks in advance.

​You should probably be asking this question to whoever made your software...

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #17,233 of 150,702

I don't want to undermine your point, but from what I can tell, Jay-Z's purchased Tidal for $56 million. And, he's likely done *very* well on that investment, considering a new investment from Sprint values the company at $600 million. So, a ton of money, but no one's talking about billions. 

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:31 PM Post #17,234 of 150,702
  ​You should probably be asking this question to whoever made your software...

It has not been released yet. But my question is more general than any single player. If allowed to translate MQA to PCM, software could bridge the gap between a proprietary format (MQA) and standards-based DACs. The question is: will MQA allow this?

I know MQA have discussed a (mandatory?) hardware component. I wish to know if they are sticking to that or loosening-up in the face or reality.

Feb 17, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #17,235 of 150,702

I don't want to undermine your point, but from what I can tell, Jay-Z's purchased Tidal for $56 million. And, he's likely done *very* well on that investment, considering a new investment from Sprint values the company at $600 million. So, a ton of money, but no one's talking about billions. 

thank you, I am all for accuracy. I actually ment to type 25 MILLION, not Billion, so the investment is even double what I thought.

if we are going to expose MQA for what it is, I am def. for using only the facts, even if  some of them actually work in MQA's favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back