Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 14, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #17,147 of 150,717

I am that herb and I am also a fan of what Jason and Mike have created at Schiit   

​I seem to recall the Mani review and thinking that was kool! I've enjoyed your reviews for the last 2 or 2 1/2 years. Seems you took over doing  similar to what Stephen Mejias was doing -reviews for the more common folk. Thank you for chiming in.
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 14, 2017 at 9:04 PM Post #17,149 of 150,717

​I seem to recall the Mani review and thinking that was kool! I've enjoyed your reviews for the last 2 or 2 1/2 years. Seems you took over doing  similar to what Stephen Mejias was doing -reviews for the more common folk. Thank you for chiming in.
bigsmile_face.gif

Interestingly Mikey Fremer was not kind to the Mani. He preferred several other budget preamps. Including the $89 U Turn Pluto. Yikes.

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:12 PM Post #17,150 of 150,717

Protip: if you’re having trouble with your HOA, the easiest way to get them off your back is to learn Morse Code and get your ham radio operator’s license. Hams are protected by the FCC as part of the critical communications infrastructure of the USA, so if you wanted to, say, put a 90-foot-tall radio antenna in your front yard, the HOA can do absolutely nothing about it. Threatening to do that will shut them up good and fast.

Loving this story, and this is the only bit that failed me: we haven't needed Morse code for ham licenses since about 2000, though many still learn it. But you're spot-on about how to scare the beejeesus out of an HOA by threatening to put up a big antenna tower!
biggrin.gif

Having been in similar businesses, reading this has been a laugh a minute, bookended — so-to-speak — by the trade show "helpers" who spent all the money on Zagnut bars, and Mike's little tattoo view. 

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:47 PM Post #17,151 of 150,717
  We ALL need to ignore MQA and Stereophile needs to stop promoting it like the cure for cancer.

They do so (as do some fora and online pubs I won't mention) because they need a new shiny to sell readers to advertisers. A new format is a great opportunity to sell new gear and newly (re)encoded content. If we are all "stuck" on 44.1/16 or 96/24, what's there to sell but better, lower-cost schiit, which is so cost-effective that it does not need to advertise much if at all?

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #17,152 of 150,717
They do so (as do some fora and online pubs I won't mention) because they need a new shiny to sell readers to advertisers. A new format is a great opportunity to sell new gear and newly (re)encoded content. If we are all "stuck" on 44.1/16 or 96/24, what's there to sell but better, lower-cost schiit, which is so cost-effective that it does not need to advertise much if at all?

Basically, spot on. It is all about commerce with "journalism" as a flimsy cover.

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #17,154 of 150,717

True, but I believe Herb will appreciate the sonic quality + value proposition of 2 channel Schiit.

Mine only comes out of one channel,   hence, mono,

Although I have heard many politicians and professors who were proficient exponents of stereo reproduction.....    
blink.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #17,155 of 150,717
Since there's no wish list forum, and I'm dreaming of a Saga/Vidar, Here's the icing on the cake:
An upgraded Bifrost that also has a remote sensor for switching inputs and has two SE outputs, one for the Saga and one for a headamp. I realize I can use a y cable as that's what I have on the mimby, but there's plenty of room on the bifrost for more outputs, and Radio Shack y cables make me sad somehow....

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:48 AM Post #17,156 of 150,717
I cant help but smile when I see such a smart use of the Obsolete word.
Thats the same everyone tells me when I beat them at a strategy game with my "obsolete" Strategies/Tactics.

Always makes me smile a little.

Feb 15, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #17,158 of 150,717
I am still having trouble getting my head around the idea of fasting for 36 hours. I know that it is supposed to change your perceptions and can stimulate creativity, but Jason, I am really impressed with your dedication!

As a man, fasting long enough to completely lose my sex drive was revelatory. It completely de-objectified women for me, allowing me to more accurately see the myriad ways a totally natural drive had been harnessed to all sorts of self-defeating behaviors.

Of course, when I started eating again, my sex drive came back, but it no longer had the same level of control over me that it once did. Some of the absolutely dumbest things I've done in my life (or been persuaded to think were vital) stopped being so problematic.

And that's just one benefit. Periods of intermittent fasting can prevent cancer (during times of fasting, normal cells metabolically limit themselves so as to survive. Cancer cells don't/can't). It also helps increase insulin sensitivity and prevent insulin resistant diabetes.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #17,159 of 150,717

Quote:
Nearly anything sounds better with single malt scotch...
wink.gif

Only the finest bits from the Moffat Highlands distilled in the Stoddard Valley reaches your ears....

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #17,160 of 150,717
  I think Stereophile handed us a great theme that can serve us for several years to come. Because, you know what? It’s time to skewer some sacred cows. And this campaign gives us a perfect platform for that. Imagine follow-up ads with headlines like:

Cheap.
Some people say we should charge a lot more. Here’s why we don’t.

Idiotic.
Yes, but our name is a big part of our success. Find out why.

Silly.
That’s what we’re called when we insist on Class A and linear power.

And so on. There are tons of other hurtful adjectives that we can throw at ourselves, unpack, and defuse. The words are simple, strong, memorable, and create ads with stopping power. And, once deployed, they can never be used in a negative way against us, ever again.

Jason, it's very thoughtful to share this tribulation with us. It's not easy by any means. When someone says something nasty about us (product manufacturers) on the internet, usually rooted in misconception, or in this case misnomer, it's tough not to "swallow the poison" and let it really ruin your outlook. Everything is magnified in our minds far beyond what the actual damage is, but if you believe strongly in your product, it's a very important part of your identity, and someone insulting your product that you spend countless hours perfecting is very displeasing. The internet is rife with unpleasant, brash opinions as it seems to be what attracts attention these days... but always remember you have many core clients who appreciate very much what you do and don't care what other people say. You can address the negativity head on, with a response ad, and I understand your perspective (and it intrinsically feels right), however most people have not read the Facebook post, so no need to lower yourself to that level. It's similar to McDonalds advertising there were no worms in their beef patties... there were many that didn't know about the hoax that now may be falsely concerned. Audioquest had a response advertisement recently too on the back cover (I believe it was the Absolute Sound) and it brought an issue to my attention that I didn't know existed. Simply take the high road and state you use very nice 20 bit DACs, you selected them for a very good reason, they sound great, period, and address the Stereophile issue on Stereophiles Facebook page, no need to pay to spread their negativity.   

I know it's really hard to follow the high road when you're in the middle of this crap, but just some free advise from a marketing guy.. You guys already have a great marketing shtick... or is it shtiick? Keep up the great work and help grow the hobby. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back