Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 31, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #16,833 of 150,539

I think he meant Freya in which case they are coupling caps.

I'd interpret Mike's statement to mean they are not in the signal path in the Freya (not a digital product), meaning it is power supply related.

I went through electrical engineering in 1996-2000 and they had quit teaching tubes, so I'm not sure if all tube configurations require DC blocking caps.

I do know caps surrounding tubes generally serve two purposes:  DC blocking in the signal path, or a local power supply reservoir.  Either application would benefit from choosing the WIMAs.

Jan 31, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #16,834 of 150,539

I'd interpret Mike's statement to mean they are not in the signal path in the Freya (not a digital product), meaning it is power supply related.

I went through electrical engineering in 1996-2000 and they had quit teaching tubes, so I'm not sure if all tube configurations require DC blocking caps.

I do know caps surrounding tubes generally serve two purposes:  DC blocking in the signal path, or a local power supply reservoir.  Either application would benefit from choosing the WIMAs.

Actually, my statement was only intended to answer that question with respect to our digi products (as well as the output caps on Mani, which I designed) - the rest of the analog products were designed by Jason, who shares the same respect I have for Wima caps, but is the spokesman for products of his design.  Yes, tubes generally require interstage coupling caps without heroic (and expensive) power supply design.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 31, 2017 at 6:32 PM Post #16,835 of 150,539
  I was under the impression that Schiit analog design avoids coupling caps.

Schiit makes it clear in the Freya specs that the tube stage is NOT DC coupled. DC coupling  would be very difficult to do in a tube voltage amp, and the choice of R-C configuration is normal. The WIMA caps are very good performers, although they do not incorporate
"gold foil unobtanium irradiated rare earths", which saves about $500 of cost for the Freya, and does not affect the performance.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #16,836 of 150,539
  I really liked vinyl, but the setup and maintenance soon drove me back to digital. I'm now just more picky about my digital source material, but even some of my HD versions didn't sound as good as the equivalent vinyl records, but its near impossible doing apples to apples comparisons. Its good to know that digital still has some way to go, that is something exciting to look forward to!

Couldn't agree more.

I ran both analogue and digital side by side for many years (the 90's) I discovered that the less I listened to vinyl the easier it was to accept digital. And the lack of ceremony and dancing with the record on the way from the record sleeve to the turntable mat and the lowering of the tonearm meant more actual listening time. I sold all 800+ LP's in the early 2000's. Now, with advancing age, I find the ease and simplicity of the CD keeps me from going back to the good ole' days of Zerostat, Nitty Gritty, microfiber brushes, tone arm / cartridge alignment, vibration isolation, and on and on. It was like 95% of my music listening time was foreplay. And no big surprise, most women have better hearing than men.

The way I look at it Jason, it's your and Mike's job to get me back as close to analogue as I desire with the digital medium. So why the delay???

Thanks for the nostalgic look back Jason. 

Now, get back to work!

Postscript: SCHIIT! I meant to place this in a thread where Jason was talking about analogue record reproduction, WTH did it go???

Arrgghh! Jason and daerron's  posts were from back in December. OF 2014? I'm a lot late to this party.

12/10/14
Chapter 40:
Schiit Goes Vinyl

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:21 PM Post #16,837 of 150,539
Yikes.

I just made the mistake of following a banner ad down the rabbit hole to current "enthusiast" audiophile websites where a $12,000 phono stage is considered an entry-level bargain and someone was using reel-to-reel as his "most revealing" source for reviewing, except he just replaced a component and had to send his interconnects back to the factory to be recalibrated.

We may go careening off into the rough now and again here on this thread, but it's a haven of sanity compared to what's out there.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #16,838 of 150,539
  Yikes.

I just made the mistake of following a banner ad down the rabbit hole to current "enthusiast" audiophile websites where a $12,000 phono stage is considered an entry-level bargain and someone was using reel-to-reel as his "most revealing" source for reviewing, except he just replaced a component and had to send his interconnects back to the factory to be recalibrated.

We may go careening off into the rough now and again here on this thread, but it's a haven of sanity compared to what's out there.

Headphone audio also has a higher WAF, in my experience.  That's an important factor for a lot of us.

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:20 PM Post #16,839 of 150,539
  Yikes.

What? You don't calibrate your interconnects each time you buy a new piece of equipment? tisk, tisk.
wink_face.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #16,840 of 150,539

Headphone audio also has a higher WAF, in my experience.  That's an important factor for a lot of us.

Perhaps Schiit could design an AudioAccepting wife/girlfriend......
bigsmile_face.gif

Feb 1, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #16,841 of 150,539
I have a question about Freya and balanced interconnects.

Tubes generally have some noise and sometime cause some low level hum.  If I run balanced cables to my Bryston 3BSST, the summer on the Bryston inputs seems to eliminate the noise/hum.

But, somehow, the summer on the single ended output of the Freya does not eliminate the same noise/hum.  If I connect the power amp with single ended cables, I hear the noise/hum.

Why?  Wouldn't a summer at either location perform the same function to kill the noise?

I'm using quality Blue Jeans cables.

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #16,843 of 150,539
  Yikes.

I just made the mistake of following a banner ad down the rabbit hole to current "enthusiast" audiophile websites where a $12,000 phono stage is considered an entry-level bargain 

Who buys that stuff?  Codgers cashing out their 401K because they were given 3 months to live?

Feb 1, 2017 at 4:07 PM Post #16,844 of 150,539

How about a cable autocalibrator?..........Well, no.

NO!!!!! You have to protect us from these shenanigans!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back