Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 25, 2017 at 3:07 PM Post #16,711 of 150,669
Jason/Mike, I spoke with Clayton Shaw a while back and he mentioned Schiit has Hologram M3s on site. Have you powered them with Vidar and/or using bridged Vidar? And if so, how did it fair for amplifiers and speakers?

ray

Jan 25, 2017 at 3:13 PM Post #16,713 of 150,669
  Jason/Mike, I spoke with Clayton Shaw a while back and he mentioned Schiit has Hologram M3s on site. Have you powered them with Vidar and/or using bridged Vidar? And if so, how did it fair for amplifiers and speakers?

ray

I second the request. I have the M3Turbo S along with a Yggy.  I ordered a Freya last week and would love a complete Schit system.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #16,718 of 150,669
  Wouldn't that be a bit too similar to the Ragnarok?

I don't think Jason would want to make competing components just to use different circuit topology. Typically I'd expect him to simply discontinue whatever didn't perform as well or didn't perform as well as a product.

Some of us have systems that for single-point control have to be powered all the time, which is not nice for tubes, so Freya-based systems are not a good fit for us. Indeed, the need for a single point of control accepting multiple input types is why I have a (very nice but pricey) integrated amp between my sources (Yggy, Oppo BDP-103, and Chromecast) and my speakers. An integrated with tubes would not be a good fit for this.

Jan 26, 2017 at 6:02 AM Post #16,720 of 150,669
  True. Which one is correct?

left right. the manuals go printed before they caught that. 

On Freya...it's imminent. First articles were qualified last week. We're just waiting for boards. Should be this week (we'll see.)

With respect to tubes, yes, you'll want matched tubes at least for the input pair. The input pair does voltage gain, so it's the most critical. The input pair is on the right-hand side of the quad. The output pair is on the left-hand side. It's a follower, so it's less critical. 

We're also doing some degeneration of the input, so matching will be less critical, but you're still going to want to have reasonable matching.

No biasing is necessary, since the input is run off a current source, which sets the operating point of the whole system.

Jan 26, 2017 at 8:30 AM Post #16,721 of 150,669
  Some of us have systems that for single-point control have to be powered all the time, which is not nice for tubes, 

Would a LISST-like device help with that?  Although on the other threads there are claims of tube-based preamps being left on for years at a tme.

Jan 26, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #16,723 of 150,669
Hologram M3s.

15inch, stamped basket, high resonance, pro audio paper coned mid woofers, wide baffle, high sensitivity. (not sure about these stamped baskets, on my peaveys the stamped basket support is curved and the spine is angled for better rigidity)

OK. I am interested in these new amps from Schiit. Jason knows his speakers.

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #16,724 of 150,669
  Wouldn't that be a bit too similar to the Ragnarok?

I don't think Jason would want to make competing components just to use different circuit topology. Typically I'd expect him to simply discontinue whatever didn't perform as well or didn't perform as well as a product.

I think it would be a totally different product than the Rag. Choice of passive, buffer, and tubes, right off the bat..and the Vidar is clearly
a totally different topology. Plus remote etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back