Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 30, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #15,707 of 152,755
Like I said earlier, an amplifier is an amplifier.  All audio amplifiers are power amplifiers.  A pre-amplifier or preamp controls signals at line level and does not have sufficient output to drive loudspeakers, although they sometimes have headphone power amplifiers built into them.  A specialized type of power amplifier that also contains preamp functions is called an integrated amplifier.  An integrated amplifier that also contains tuner functions is called a receiver. 

All audio systems from a transistor radio to a multi-million dollar high-end setup consist of a source, a preamplifier and a power amplifier, driving some sort of output transducer like loudspeakers or headphones.  These functions can each be separate (and indeed can have multiple components for each main function) or they can be contained all in one box. 

Dec 30, 2016 at 2:45 PM Post #15,709 of 152,755
Yep. thanks.I just got mail from Schiit saying something similar.

I was asking because I have a conditioner protection strip limited to 10 amps and I already have several devices plugged into it, including a serious power amp. Obviously at low amps not an issue. Just wanted to make sure.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #15,710 of 152,755
Shipping confirmation received...happy days ahead! 
gs1000.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #15,711 of 152,755

I look forward to auditioning Yggy+Freya+Vidar and seeing how it compares to a much more expensive NAIM setup.

Having heard the set-up at RMAF, I am of the opinion that the 2-channel Schiit Kit will equal or better the performance of a lot of gear costing a lot more money. I am curious to see if "old school" 2 channel folks will be able to get past their biases regarding price, fancy casework, name brands, and so forth, and be able to truly hear the performance of this gear regardless of price point.

Dec 30, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #15,712 of 152,755
Got my shipping confirmation also. Now the long trip to Florida
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 30, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #15,715 of 152,755
Can anyone help me on finding the portion where Jason writes about not releasing product details until the product is complete?  

Dec 30, 2016 at 5:40 PM Post #15,716 of 152,755
Originally Posted by Ableza /img/forum/go_quote.gif

All audio amplifiers are power amplifiers.

And all cars are racing cars, but some are not very fast and don't handle too well, but you can race them.

There are generally accepted meanings in context - in domestic stereo (or 2 channel as it seems to be now) typically a power amp accepts line inputs and has outputs for loudspeakers and fixed voltage gain. 

N.B. by "loudspeakers" I don't mean people with a high verbal SPL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back