Will you be using fission or fusion as power source
and if you go the fission route as I suggest you should
think big fans and giant heat sinks  

Dec 28, 2016 at 9:49 PM Post #15,663 of 150,664
*looks at all the speaker/2 channel info*

*looks at my HD 650*

*looks back at all the speaker/2 channel info*

*puts on the HD 650 and queues the music*

In all honesty though, I'm intrigued by 2 channel but man just putting on my headphones seems a LOT easier. Specially when you look at room/speaker setup. And we'll the price is certainly steeper.

Dec 28, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #15,664 of 150,664
I don't think that Schiit ever exhibited with Spatial, but they do have them at their office: 
http://audio-head.com/factory-tour-schiit-audio/.
I would like to hear if I could use Vidar as Mono pair to drive my M3 Turbo S.  Concerned regarding the Spatial's 4 ohm rating and Schiit not rating the Vidar at 4 ohm as Mono amps.

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:22 PM Post #15,665 of 150,664
As long as so many people want to discuss speakers in a headphone forum about a schitt company that doesn't build speakers (but perhaps motivated this discussion by thankfully releasing 2 channel electronics) allow me to add a plug for Salk Sound. Look them up. We have 3 pairs and love doing business with this small USA maker of custom finish, furniture grade transducers that have impeccable sound in many size and price catagories.

Dec 29, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #15,666 of 150,664
Sorry I misspoke. I was trying to find where Schiit had worked with them, and found out that Jason had mentioned them as an example of a unique American company operating in the same spirit as Schiit, but couldn't find out where they had exhibited with them. Anyway, they're still very interesting speakers, so give them a listen. I believe the Schiit listening room actually uses Zu speakers among others.

I thought I saw some Zu speakers in the videos of Jason and Mike touring the warehouse and discussing Vidar in their office! Ohm also seems like an interesting concept as do the Salk Exotica 3's. But I will not hijack this thread anymore. Back to Schiit lol.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #15,667 of 150,664
  I don't think that Schiit ever exhibited with Spatial, but they do have them at their office: 
http://audio-head.com/factory-tour-schiit-audio/.
I would like to hear if I could use Vidar as Mono pair to drive my M3 Turbo S.  Concerned regarding the Spatial's 4 ohm rating and Schiit not rating the Vidar at 4 ohm as Mono amps.

Why do you need a pair of bridged mono blocks? Those speakers appear to have 94dB / 1 Watt sensitivity.
How loud did you want them to go?  A single stereo Vidar will drive 200 W into 4 ohms. That is +23 dBW, so will put you up to about 120 dB of sound pressure.

Dec 29, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #15,668 of 150,664
The problem with bridging stereo amplifiers to make mono block amplifiers is that, while increasing the "headline" power output, each amplifier output "sees" only half of the loudspeaker's load impedance.  So low impedance loudspeakers present a more challenging load.  In the example above, 4 ohm loudspeakers will present an effective 2 ohm load to each amplifier output of the bridged pair.  For many amplifiers, like the Vidar, this is outside their safe operating envelope.  Even the case of a "normal" 8 ohm loudspeaker will draw more current, as it presents an effective 4 ohm load.

So, TLDR:
Pros and Cons of bridging
PRO - moar power, as long as load impedance is safe
CON - load becomes more difficult, harder to drive

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #15,671 of 150,664
I would like to experience mono amps.  From what I have read, they offer better imaging.  Also, then I could experiment with placing the amps by the speakers. My system is already using XLRs.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #15,673 of 150,664
  Anyone gotten an announcement that their Freya is shipping? I'm assuming some will be shipped today.

Dude...it's 7:25 AM in California.

Most people aren't even at work yet.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #15,674 of 150,664
The problem with bridging stereo amplifiers to make mono block amplifiers is that, while increasing the "headline" power output, each amplifier output "sees" only half of the loudspeaker's load impedance.  So low impedance loudspeakers present a more challenging load.  In the example above, 4 ohm loudspeakers will present an effective 2 ohm load to each amplifier output of the bridged pair.  For many amplifiers, like the Vidar, this is outside their safe operating envelope.  Even the case of a "normal" 8 ohm loudspeaker will draw more current, as it presents an effective 4 ohm load.

So, TLDR:
Pros and Cons of bridging
PRO - moar power, as long as load impedance is safe
CON - load becomes more difficult, harder to drive

True regarding the load impedance issue, however ...
There is more to mono blocks than just moar power and their very high "cool" factor.

There is the very short speaker cable runs when the mono blocks are installed next to the speakers and in the case of the Vidar it is the only way to use the balanced input.

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #15,675 of 150,664

Questions about monobloc amps brings up a cabling issue. You can run long interconnects from the pre to the amps, keeping the speaker cables short. Or you can set the amp(s) and pre close, then run long speaker cables. Wondering if Jason has any thoughts on which approach would work better with Freya/Vidar(s.)

Happy New Year. May we all enjoy a peaceful and prosperous 2017, and may fewer musicians have to leave the party early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back