Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #15,316 of 149,392

That is one damn nice looking amp! Good job on the design department 
beerchug.gif

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #15,318 of 149,392

That is one damn nice looking amp! Good job on the design department 
beerchug.gif

Hopefully it sounds good...

(Actually, it should sound pretty much like the prototypes we showed, but without the gets-so-hot-it-thermally-shuts-down mode. Or, ah, maybe a bit better, because I can up the driver current now with so much more heat sinking, and run the bias up a bit. Hmmm. We'll see. Still waiting on some parts to finish the proto build, I'll sort all that stuff out shortly.)

(And actually, for the really curious, yes, this version is exactly the same as the amp we showed, even though the mechanics changed significantly. We went from a big (8.7 x 12.7") 2-layer board to a small (6.2 x 8") 4-layer board that costs about the same. The new 4-layer board gives us many opportunities to improve the layout, including the use of a much better grounding arrangement, shorter overall runs for the power supply, and more direct connection to the microprocessor oversight. Oh, and we added an additional heat sensor (because now the heatsinks are physically separate from each other, we needed it, and an input mute (so we can adjust parameters on start-up, even if you have music playing), and some additional bypassing that we added to the prototype during stress tests. Other than that, it's the same half-Jotunheim CFA topology with a massively overbuilt output stage.)

(And yes, still $699.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 22, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #15,319 of 149,392
  A couple of updates:

1. Unless something very untoward happens, Freyas will be available for order on Friday. We are finally getting boards in tomorrow. It's doubtful that any of them will be shipped on Friday, however. We have to burn them in.

2. Just a couple of photos of the new Vidar prototype, which I mentioned I was building. It's radically different than what we showed. The heatsinks are now literally part of the chassis--everything bolts to them. It should be running next week, thermally qualified shortly after, and then the parts ordering can begin. One aside: this sucker is now VERY dense. The new, larger heatsinks added a few pounds.

I just realised how Freyas look/sound like Friday.... Maybe Fre-day? 

And whoa, Vidar now looks like the most beefiest Schiit ever!

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #15,320 of 149,392
Dec 22, 2016 at 3:43 PM Post #15,322 of 149,392
Dec 22, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #15,325 of 149,392

(Actually, it should sound pretty much like the prototypes we showed, but without the gets-so-hot-it-thermally-shuts-down mode. Or, ah, maybe a bit better, because I can up the driver current now with so much more heat sinking, and run the bias up a bit. Hmmm. We'll see. Still waiting on some parts to finish the proto build, I'll sort all that stuff out shortly.)

Given the redesign and improved thermals, is there any chance that you would ultimately recommend using the Vidar's monoblock configuration with 4-ohm speakers?

This might just be me, but if I have a balanced source and a balanced preamp, I want to run the amps balanced as well. Even if the difference is only psychological.

Dec 22, 2016 at 4:11 PM Post #15,328 of 149,392

Given the redesign and improved thermals, is there any chance that you would ultimately recommend using the Vidar's monoblock configuration with 4-ohm speakers?

This might just be me, but if I have a balanced source and a balanced preamp, I want to run the amps balanced as well. Even if the difference is only psychological.

You could certainly use it, but we're not going to be rating it into 4 ohms. The reality is that, at very high levels, you will exceed the current limit and the amp will shut down. 

If you're not going to be running it at insane volumes all the time, sure, why not, same as every other amp on the planet.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 22, 2016 at 4:24 PM Post #15,329 of 149,392

If your speakers are set up with High and Low frequency input terminals, buy 4 and use 2 per side. 
tongue_smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back