Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 17, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #13,336 of 150,554

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. You're saying you'd put quality stereo speakers next to your TV, get two channels of quality amplification for them... and then completely ignore them for all video content and continue piping HT sound through the junky soundbar? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

And re the "physically can't reach," that's part of what I mean about the difference between a dedicated music-only system and an HT + music system. Dedicated music system components tend to be on open shelves like in the RMAF room, where it's easy to reach behind equipment to turn it on. Home theater stuff tends to be in a more enclosed cabinet where it would be difficult/impossible to reach behind things for power switches. These products were designed for two-channel audio-only systems, and you'll have to resort to hacks to get them to work at all in an HT system.

Just because someone is interested in listening to music in a 2-channel setup does not automatically mean they need or want a larger HT setup.

And to blow your mind even more, I've also seen quite a few people with 2-channel HTs. Plug an Oppo into Freya and you'd have a cool little system.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:17 AM Post #13,337 of 150,554
Who thinks common multichannel surround sound is cheesey? *raises hand*

I'd prefer to blur the sweet spot/disperse the soundstage with different speaker-spacing and less toe-in, long before I invest in a clunky surround system. Unless one is in a larger commercial theater, the side-seats are always going to be an auditory and visual compromise anyway, even with a multichannel system. The (original) primary purpose (of surround) is to spread the sound image to more seats evenly, after all.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #13,338 of 150,554
  And to blow your mind even more, I've also seen quite a few people with 2-channel HTs. Plug an Oppo into Freya and you'd have a cool little system.

Like me. The main reason my living room system does not (yet) have a Schiit multibit DAC is that Oppo BDP-105, Sony projector, motorized screen, and Bel Canto C7R integrated DAC/amp driving speakers/subwoofer are all controlled by a universal remote system and all the audio inputs are digital and switched by the C7R according to what the universal remote asks for. If there was a Schiit multibit DAC with enough digital inputs and a remote, I'd replace the C7R by it and some appropriate amp. No such luck.

Oct 17, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #13,339 of 150,554

Two-channel home theater systems are super-common (I have one, in fact), so my mind is not blown. But as I (and others) have been saying, there are a bunch of reasons why the Freya and Saga won't work well for those systems, unfortunately. Which is fine, they weren't designed for it.

Oct 17, 2016 at 6:43 AM Post #13,341 of 150,554
I agree Most people I know, unless they got in to a surround sound system 5+ years ago (which total 2 maybe 3 people), Have a soundbar and a sometimes the wimpy sub that came with it. And those with surround sound receivers are not looking to add a 2 channel pre in the mix.

I Use the My 2 channel gear for AV purposes to. I do not do surround sound but I Chose a Valhalla 2 for my tube pre amp. and use a sys for switching as well as the Bimby. I chose HP Gear for my 2 channel rig. Yeah it sucks getting up to adjust the volume and having separate little boxes. It was my Choice. Quality over convenience. I see this as the same. The Schiit 2 Channel Gear was designed as 2 channel gear , sure you can use it for HP or with HT but if you Choose to go down this road expect compromises to be made on your end. As a 2 channel pre they are almost perfect for most.

A simple solution to the pass through would be to get a sys, crank the Volume up and 1 input would come out of the freya, and the other would be from the output of the HT Pre, Output of the sys to your main power amp (s)and switch as needed Done. Its Not Ideal but when you use something outside of its intended scope compromises must be made on your end. Schiit Has always been a no frills company, I am not sure why the outrage when they put out no frills products. These are incredible pieces of gear unheard of in the 2 channel world anywhere near this price point   There are many all in one wonder boxes out there, if these do not fit the bill, move on or use some of the solutions people have been mentioning.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #13,342 of 150,554
Who thinks common multichannel surround sound is cheesey? *raises hand*

I'd prefer to blur the sweet spot/disperse the soundstage with different speaker-spacing and less toe-in, long before I invest in a clunky surround system. Unless one is in a larger commercial theater, the side-seats are always going to be an auditory and visual compromise anyway, even with a multichannel system. The (original) primary purpose (of surround) is to spread the sound image to more seats evenly, after all.

I agree that multichannel is cheesey.

Unfortunately, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed will not let me get a Freya, no matter how much I would like one. We use the tape loop on the Parasound preamp to feed wireless headphones, so we can watch TV without bothering others in the house. She is not going to give that feature up.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:15 AM Post #13,343 of 150,554
I agree that multichannel is cheesey.

Unfortunately, She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed will not let me get a Freya, no matter how much I would like one. We use the tape loop on the Parasound preamp to feed wireless headphones, so we can watch TV without bothering others in the house. She is not going to give that feature up.

I use an RCA Splitter at the pre amp(SYS) output. one goes to the amp the other to the Wireless Headphones. This is migrating over when I get the Freya but now its got a remote, TV watching/Talk radio etc, will be done in the passive mode or JFET Buffer mode. I am up early, I understand your plight and yes I have pre planned wiring in my head in anticipation of the arrival.

Added-  I May be wrong but in one of the pics it looks like the Freya may have 2 RCA outputs. Also If you dont like splitters a sys can be used in reverse to switch between your outputs.

Oct 17, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #13,344 of 150,554
I use an RCA Splitter at the pre amp(SYS) output. one goes to the amp the other to the Wireless Headphones. This is migrating over when I get the Freya but now its got a remote, TV watching/Talk radio etc, will be done in the passive mode or JFET Buffer mode. I am up early, I understand your plight and yes I have pre planned wiring in my head in anticipation of the arrival.

Added-  I May be wrong but in one of the pics it looks like the Freya may have 2 RCA outputs. Also If you dont like splitters a sys can be used in reverse to switch between your outputs.

Thank you for the Ideas.

I Have XLR out of the DAC. Now that you have me thinking, I could take XLR to preamp, as always, but take RCA from DAC to headphones.

PS I usually wake up at 430

Oct 17, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #13,345 of 150,554
Thank you for the Ideas.

I Have XLR out of the DAC. Now that you have me thinking, I could take XLR to preamp, as always, but take RCA from DAC to headphones.

PS I usually wake up at 430

If the headphones are like most of the senheissers they have their own amps and volume controls so that should work too no need to even turn on the pre amp. I use mine after the pre because sometimes I spin some vinyl disks and when after enough whisky or scotch or beer I get beyond the point of critical listening and just enjoy the music. So on goes the wireless cans (defeating the analog goodness of LP's of course ) and continue while the wife goes to bed.

In any event, You can appeal your case and present your findings. Hopefully the decision gets overturned.
beerchug.gif

Oct 17, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #13,346 of 150,554

Not really sure that'll work. You'd need something that outputs 12v DC to trigger the strip on.

Edit: Here's a Furman sequencer I found earlier. It's probably the best solution I've found so far.

https://www.amazon.com/Furman-M-8S-Power-Sequencer-Outlets/dp/B00KGI7BY4

I do something similar.  Much of the gear that gets cycled through my setup is vintage, but it all plugs into a SurgeX unit that is controlled by a 12V trigger.  My Bryston power amp plugs directly into a 20Amp circuit, but is also controlled by the same 12V trigger.  Some of my preamps only have a switched 120VAC outlet and no trigger, so I just plug a linear 12VDC power supply into the back of my preamps to control the entire setup with a remote for ON/OFF.

BUT, something has to supply the 12V trigger.  A preamp with no 12V trigger and no switched 120VAC outlet can't control anything, unfortunately.  A remote controlled preamp NEEDS some sort of switched control output.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #13,347 of 150,554
This is a good discussion, and reinforces my point that in today's world, 2-channel listening is a niche inside a niche, and that Saga/Freya/Vidor is aimed at that niche.  The vast majority today who listen to music in any serious way at all do so with headphones or with a system connected to their TV display system.  These products are not aimed at them.  Will some people devise a way to integrate the two?  Sure.  Heck I rigged a way to connect the audio out from my TV to my stereo receiver back in the '60s.  It's nothing new.  But it's not optimal (there are plenty of products designed for that usage) and it's not the intended application for these components, and thus they have no triggers, no remote power on capability, and only analog inputs.  They are for 2-channel music systems.  Try it, you might like it.  :)

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #13,349 of 150,554
They fit perfectly into my system as well which is a computer/desk based stereo system. Although, I guess that is rather niche as well :p. I can reach all the switches from my desk so problem solved and I am very tempted to replace my Rotel RA-1570 with a Freya and two Vidars.

Oct 17, 2016 at 10:40 AM Post #13,350 of 150,554
  This is a good discussion, and reinforces my point that in today's world, 2-channel listening is a niche inside a niche, and that Saga/Freya/Vidor is aimed at that niche.  The vast majority today who listen to music in any serious way at all do so with headphones or with a system connected to their TV display system.  These products are not aimed at them.  Will some people devise a way to integrate the two?  Sure.  Heck I rigged a way to connect the audio out from my TV to my stereo receiver back in the '60s.  It's nothing new.  But it's not optimal (there are plenty of products designed for that usage) and it's not the intended application for these components, and thus they have no triggers, no remote power on capability, and only analog inputs.  They are for 2-channel music systems.  Try it, you might like it.  :)

+1.  I understand the need to Integrate. One Size fits All master of non is not the product I expect from Schiit. But there are ways to make this work for your specific needs.

Check this out. No need for a switched output based on the description. If you Plug it inline with the Freya the circuit it will detect when the freya is powered on based on current draw then trigger the 12 Volt side. It even has a selectable delay so you can have some time before your power amp is switched on.

http://www.nilesaudio.com/product.php?prodID=CS12V&recordID=Remote%20Control%20System%20Accessories&categoryID=Home%20Theater%20Controls&prdcdID=FG01173

(image missing) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back