Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 12, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #12,586 of 150,611
Knowing the business ethics of its designer, I think that I can honestly say that my high end amp cost is mainly driven by component quality and circuit design decisions.  I'm comfortable knowing that I've managed to acquire the best level of sonic playback quality within my practical means, ± subjective & objective purchasing rationale.  Whether or not I can detect any or all of the finest of differentiating nuances, I know I now have a recognized top notch audio system available to me on demand.  That's a worthy goal to strive for as an audiophile, in my estimation.

That I also own Schiit gear is a testament to my sensibilities of understanding performance value vs. price. 

Forgot to mention that I have the 'meat popsicle' movie frame pinned up as cubicle art here at work, since the HVAC upgrade recently installed in my building tends to glacier entomb anyone directly in the path of one of its outlets. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 8:11 PM Post #12,587 of 150,611
On another note, I just opened the October 2016 copy of TAS that arrived today. As usual I was getting nauseated reading the gushing, breathless reviews about the latest and greatest unobtainium.

And then, there it was, for the first time I've ever seen.

The immediate page following the $58,000 Magico S7 AC was drooling over. The immediate page before the $225,000 ($250,000 in black) Raidho D-5.1 JV was creaming his jeans over. 27 pages before the $19,500 "World's Best DAC- Ne Plus Ultra" Berkley Audio Design Alpha DAC Reference Series 2 per Robert Harley.

"Why a $249 multibit DAC?
BECAUSE WE CAN."

Stick it to them, Schiit. Stick it to them hard.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #12,589 of 150,611
Ha, the ads are getting out there!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 13, 2016 at 4:46 AM Post #12,590 of 150,611
  I have to admit that Magni would look a little ridiculous with a pair of 3 Henry chokes in it.

-I couldn't find any photos, sadly, but sometime around 2000 or so, ham radio ops in Norway were allowed to start trying out communications on 135kHz (kHz!).

My radio club promptly got some copper wire in the air, (some 400m of it!), but still needed the mother of all matching coils to get anything vaguely resembling a reasonable load for the transmitter.

They were named Henry and Henry II; we wound them on huge plastic drums - approx. 60cm/2ft diameter and 90cm/3ft length; they each clocked in at some 100mH, if memory serves.

Our power amplifier was my hi-fi amplifier at the time - a Densen Beat 100; the manufacturer claimed it was linear to 200kHz or so - plenty!

It wasn't, by the way. The manufacturer was very surprised indeed when some annoyed guy called them from Norway seeing their bluff - 'Pfft, linear my ***, amplification was almost 12dB down at 135kHz...'

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:01 AM Post #12,591 of 150,611

-I couldn't find any photos, sadly, but sometime around 2000 or so, ham radio ops in Norway were allowed to start trying out communications on 135kHz (kHz!).

My radio club promptly got some copper wire in the air, (some 400m of it!), but still needed the mother of all matching coils to get anything vaguely resembling a reasonable load for the transmitter.

They were named Henry and Henry II; we wound them on huge plastic drums - approx. 60cm/2ft diameter and 90cm/3ft length; they each clocked in at some 100mH, if memory serves.

Our power amplifier was my hi-fi amplifier at the time - a Densen Beat 100; the manufacturer claimed it was linear to 200kHz or so - plenty!

It wasn't, by the way. The manufacturer was very surprised indeed when some annoyed guy called them from Norway seeing their bluff - 'Pfft, linear my ***, amplification was almost 12dB down at 135kHz...'

I remember that band assignmnent.  It wasn't just Norway that got it.  In a similar vein, I have seen pics of the one for WWVB loading coils (60 kHz carrier) housed in a "helix house".

And then there is SAQ, the sole surviving and operating Alexanderson Alternator, at 17.2 kHz...

Sep 13, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #12,593 of 150,611

Isn't that still MW? Lets go VLF.

Sep 13, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #12,594 of 150,611
  Isn't that still MW? Lets go VLF.

No, LF.  300 kHz to 3 MHz is MF, MW is 535 kHz to 1605 kHz.

ObOntopic: If you really felt the desire to improve the modi/magni power supply, the biggest bang for the buck would be to use a 24-36 volt, center tapped, wall wart, with appropriate connectors, and use full wave rectifiers instead of half wave rectifiers for the two rails.  But you've pushed it outside of its' sub $100 base price now.  Remember, modi/magni is a gateway drug, er, DAC.

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #12,598 of 150,611
The immediate page before the $225,000 ($250,000 in black) Raidho D-5.1 JV was creaming his jeans over.

I was curious as to what this thing was that cost a quarter of a million $ and so I visited the site to see that these are speakers and that ...... 

'Custom colors are available in every RAL or Porsche and Ferrari color at a 15% surcharge  PRE-ORDER NOW!!!'

.....$33,000 just for a paint job!  What the ##  You gotta be out of your mind!  Disgusting.  So I can only agree....Stick it to them, Schiit.

Sep 13, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #12,599 of 150,611
  I was curious as to what this thing was that cost a quarter of a million $ and so I visited the site to see that these are speakers and that ...... 

'Custom colors are available in every RAL or Porsche and Ferrari color at a 15% surcharge  PRE-ORDER NOW!!!'

.....$33,000 just for a paint job!  What the ##  You gotta be out of your mind!  Disgusting.  So I can only agree....Stick it to them, Schiit.

Actually, I feel sorry for them. Can you imagine the arrogant, entitled dickheads they have to work with every day? And what kind of tantrums they see when there's a nit in the Ferrari Red paint?

No thanks. Here's your $249 DAC. No options, no extra power supplies, no fancy feet, no special cables, no color-matched finishes. Don't like it, send it back. There you go. Done.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back