Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 10, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #12,572 of 151,950
"Choke input" topology has the choke before the capacitors (directly after the rectifier). This has different physics from a "capacitor" input filter, requiring different formulae. You are describing a "pi" type of filter.

Well...Schiit! That would take a heck of a lot of copper and iron.

Sep 12, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #12,573 of 151,950
But it must be better than boutique capacitors.......   
blink.gif

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #12,576 of 151,950
Are you referring to the inductor coil size since it takes the rectified current load straight off of the transformer taps? 

Of course. The ones inside many guitar tube amps are still smaller than the output transformer. Sometimes they use just one side of the output transformer they use for reverb tanks since they already have a good supply of those. Like someone said before, These are more for filtering, but do have some advantages of current drive. The capacitors in this case are doing most of the heavy lifting. If you got rid of the caps, that would have to be one large inductor, for tube amps anyway.

For solid state amps that don't draw the lethal heart stopping current and voltages, yes, it would be smaller, but like Mike said, expensive, takes up more space, and adds weight. I wonder if a small inductor filter you get do mostly the same as the tube amps are doing...I don't think it would have to be that big.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #12,577 of 151,950
I know not whereof you speak regarding this "choke" thingy - all I remember about choking is what I learned in my First Aid course.

However: would it be something that would fit into the Modi/Magni sized case? Would it be worth bugging Schiit to make a fancy power supply for the Modi/Magni stack to replace the wall warts in current use, as an optional supplement?

I think that would make a pretty cool looking stack… and if it improves the performance, even better.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:41 PM Post #12,578 of 151,950
That explains the hefty size and weight of the separate power supply unit that feeds my Studio amp.  Just one more checked box demonstrating that I'm getting the best of circuit design options and components in a proclaimed statement amp where quality and not cost is the actual driver.  I'm gratified.

Sep 12, 2016 at 1:47 PM Post #12,579 of 151,950
  I know not whereof you speak regarding this "choke" thingy - all I remember about choking is what I learned in my First Aid course.

However: would it be something that would fit into the Modi/Magni sized case? Would it be worth bugging Schiit to make a fancy power supply for the Modi/Magni stack to replace the wall warts in current use, as an optional supplement?

I think that would make a pretty cool looking stack… and if it improves the performance, even better.

No, not remotely practical.
1. It would need a choke in both rails, therefore two chokes.
2. Each choke by itself is the size of a transformer and would have to be in the case, not as part of the ac wall wart.
3. Ripple/hum is already > 100 dB down on it, IIRC, so payoff would be minimal for the expense.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #12,580 of 151,950
Sep 12, 2016 at 3:14 PM Post #12,581 of 151,950
I think a certain percentage of people who enjoy their music would say that the terms 'audiophile' and 'crazy' were synonymous.  So then it becomes a matter of degree.  Where exactly do you draw the line?  Near you?  :wink:  As always, it's dictated mostly by means available to achieve best sonic quality obtainable.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #12,582 of 151,950
  I think a certain percentage of people who enjoy their music would say that the terms 'audiophile' and 'crazy' were synonymous.  So then it becomes a matter of degree.  Where exactly do you draw the line?  Near you?  :wink:  As always, it's dictated mostly by means available to achieve best sonic quality obtainable.

When does "best sonic quality obtainable" exceed the human ability to perceive and it's for the benefit of test equipment and bragging rights? We do not evolve faster that the creation of newer and better electronic stuff to buy. At one point it becomes academic and I suspect that we are already there or have been for some time.

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #12,583 of 151,950

Hmmm, I'm thinking I'm an outlier on the value prop thing; guess it's due to my overspending on 2-channel audio in the 80's. I enjoyed my equipment but in the end didn't feel the premium I paid for AR/Threshold/etc. vs Sumo/Forte/etc. was worth it. It's why I own Schiit equipment now and why I recently bought HD800 and first gen T1's instead of the latest versions. Pretty much buy everything this way (home, car, toys, etc.)...always looking for a very good price-performance ratio (Genesis instead of Lexus/BMW, last year's hot Driver for $225 instead of this year's for $450, etc.).

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy nice stuff...but am not going to get taken to the cleaners just to be an early adopter or have the absolute best of the best (i.e. $4000 headphones, $10,000+ dacs & amps)!

When does "best sonic quality obtainable" exceed the human ability to perceive and it's for the benefit of test equipment and bragging rights? We do not evolve faster that the creation of newer and better electronic stuff to buy. At one point it becomes academic and I suspect that we are already there or have been for some time.

Yep...

Sep 12, 2016 at 3:55 PM Post #12,584 of 151,950

Well, diminishing returns is certainly one aspect to consider, but anything that increases audio playback quality at whatever measureable level (audible vs. testing) is still better than straight out paying for bling, i.e. cosmetics and presentation.  'Crazy' is where the well-heeled meets the ignorant.  And frankly speaking, that includes the color coordination zealots, in my opinion.  Function over fashion in all cases. 

Sep 12, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #12,585 of 151,950

Well, diminishing returns is certainly one aspect to consider, but anything that increases audio playback quality at whatever measureable level (audible vs. testing) is still better than straight out paying for bling, i.e. cosmetics and presentation.  'Crazy' is where the well-heeled meets the ignorant.  And frankly speaking, that includes the color coordination zealots, in my opinion.  Function over fashion in all cases. 

I agree that forking over a ton of dough for bling is not for me. My point is that human beings have limits that will not radically change, FR gets worse with age. Yet each marketing season people proclaim how product x is so much better than...blah blah blah.... If that's the case I wish that this meat popsicle's hearing could improve with every new DAC/Amp/Headphone that comes to market. If that was the case I could hear RF by now and work for the NSA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back