Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 22, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #9,903 of 151,727
Anyone can have their local Kitchen Cabinet maker build something custom. ( for a few $$$ ) 

Even the Granite Counter Top guys have a CNC machine able to create something nice, Sennheiser did it for their top headphone Amp system. 

Schiit Electronics are certainly worthy of this sort of treatments.  

I too, using my Festool home shop stuff, made my own Asgard2 Chassis mounting for under my Home Office Desk,  I have a 6" long knob for control of level and an Ikea forked coat hook for headphone hanging, the little LED illuminates the headphones as they rest, I never turn the system off. 

I suppose that I'll build the same system for the Valhalla2 when it arrives but I'll build a Hubble illuminated toggle light switch into the desk top for turning the Amp off/on. ( there are beautifully painted Light Switch Cover Plates available, I like the "Lighthouse" ones ) 

Schiit 2 Channel is coming,  I'd like to hear about it. 

Tony in Michigan

ps.  Sanders is up by 8 Points ( from polling data ), fingers crossed

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #9,905 of 151,727

They already said that they had a bit of a hard time getting rid of the black bifrosts when they did the first (accidental) black run. Jason pretty much said the reality was that clamor was greater than demand. If people really want the product they'll buy it, as evidenced by the fact that many folks asking for black here already own one in silver.

I think you need to factor in availability of accompanying products in black too. There's not much sense in black Bifrost if you can't buy a black Asgard 2 to stack it with. That would be my logic, for instance.

Actually my black Multibit Bifrost is in the living room, where it is used primarily with speakers.  The black finish gives it "WAF" since black was decreed as the main color of the living room...

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #9,906 of 151,727
Actually my black Multibit Bifrost is in the living room, where it is used primarily with speakers.  The black finish gives it "WAF" since black was decreed as the main color of the living room...

I totally agree that Black probably suits two channel products better - a black multi bit would certainly fit my two channel setup better. I'm just not particularly concerned by it. Worst comes to worst I'll toss it in a part of the rack where I can't see it. But looks matter to some folks (I'm not immune either) and I would be lying if I said I thought black Schiit didn't look really cool : )

Jan 23, 2016 at 12:11 PM Post #9,907 of 151,727
I have been Tempted to Polish the heck out the Modi 2 U and Magni 2 U. But if I do one then I will have to do all. Not going there. Yes Tony, Patiently waiting to hear about the 2CH Gear.

Now Back The Marketing Chapter .

A quick word on designers and and marketing and need of them. The interwebs have made it possible for companies Like Schiit to thrive but the massive amount of home grown websites out there that are just outright bad is astonishing. A hand written sign in the door of a Mom and Pop store is not a big deal because you get to know the owners, the employees and you know they generally will stand by their products. I Like Mom and pops and do not mind if the price is slightly higher that walmart or the like because in general the knowledge and service is worth the extra cost tenfold. On the Internet, It is the exact opposite. There is no connection to people, you have no idea who is behind it. what the service is going to be like.The Bad Pictures make a good product look bad as well. Poorly laid out content and navigation means people get lost and leave your site. Slow loading time because you want a million pictures and music and video means people will not wait to see your idea of a masterpiece. If you page is not loaded in about 10- 15 seconds They Move on. Most people research businesses on the internet on phones or on computers. It is your first interaction with prospective customers. Put your best foot forward and Make it count. If you need help please do so. Ok, not that quick and more of a rant I guess.

Where was this about 5 years ago?
  • A clear definition of what your product or service is.
  • An identified audience who is, or should be, interested in your product or service.
  • At least one unique advantage your product or service has over the competition.

As part of a Failed business Adventure, yes adventure, .with my now wife. That is what we did not understand. Sure you don't know everything but due diligence and a plan goes a long way. A Great Business Idea, But no knowledge of regulations, Cost of start up, Operating costs, no solid line of products and just a rudimentary understanding of the consumer and where to find them was doomed from the start. A lot of people genuinely tried to help, but it was doomed from the start. I had this deep down feeling of the fate of this experiment from day one, lessons learned . Ready, Fire, Aim. Is Bass Ackwards and means you spend more time and money trying to figure out what the hell you are doing than actually doing what you set out to do. It does not matter if it is your business or you are working for someone else.

This Can be applied to other things as well. I work for a mid to large size company with all the bloat and pet projects that comes with it. Switching out product or service to project. What is your Project idea? Who will use it? Is there a similar project that has been tried or is in the works? why is yours different?

The Desire for our own business has not gone a way we have some ideas that we are bouncing back and forth.I for one will be looking forward to learning from someone else's mistakes. Errr I mean Jason's Words of wisdom.

Jan 23, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #9,909 of 151,727
Get the case powder coated to whatever color want. Or anodized, which would be better fo heat dissipation purposes.

Glad you like silver.  Your problem is solved.  Stripping the chassis bare, finding an anodizer, paying for it, and reassembling the now warrantyless $2,200 box is not trivial.  Especially compared to simply ordering a black one.

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #9,910 of 151,727
I am sure as Schiit that anodized silver is the 'easiest' option in many ways. In addition to all the supply chain complexity etc of multiple options is that the challenge with other colors is that the smallest chip or scratch will show the silver aluminium underneath. With silver anodizing you will never notice.
I know, anodizing shouldn't scratch easily, but the shape and overall design of the Schiit chassis does leave a lot of hard edges exposed.

By the way, I love my bifrost multibit, it was silver for a while, then I got a local anodizing shop to refinish it in black. I preferred re-anodizing over powder coat or painting as I wanted to still see the grain on the case, and it looks very classy now. Easy to do, after all the case is designed for easy removal to enable upgrades. 

I'll post a pic when my account allows me if anyone is interested.

aw

Jan 23, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #9,911 of 151,727
  I am sure as Schiit that anodized silver is the 'easiest' option in many ways. In addition to all the supply chain complexity etc of multiple options is that the challenge with other colors is that the smallest chip or scratch will show the silver aluminium underneath. With silver anodizing you will never notice.
I know, anodizing shouldn't scratch easily, but the shape and overall design of the Schiit chassis does leave a lot of hard edges exposed.

By the way, I love my bifrost multibit, it was silver for a while, then I got a local anodizing shop to refinish it in black. I preferred re-anodizing over powder coat or painting as I wanted to still see the grain on the case, and it looks very classy now. Easy to do, after all the case is designed for easy removal to enable upgrades. 

I'll post a pic when my account allows me if anyone is interested.

aw

Please do and provide a rough cost estimate for what you had done.

Jan 23, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #9,912 of 151,727
Cost was about 25USD. I was lucky to find a local place where I dropped off and picked up, so no shipping etc. Removing and re-fitting the case, whilst a little fiddly is very easy, just remove all the screws and slide off.
I was surprised the screen printing remained intact, I was prepared to lose it. 
Reason I wanted black is that this is in the living room, for both headphone and speakers, on a rack with all other items being black. 
I also added some different feet, black aluminium from ebay.

None of these changes effected the sound :wink:

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #9,913 of 151,727
Reason I wanted black is that this is in the living room, for both headphone and speakers, on a rack with all other items being black. 

I feel certain you haven't listened close enough .... or didn't have high enough expectations... because you should certainly be hearing a darker background with the black paint and a more full-bodied yet tighter yet more natural musical cohesion with the new feet. 
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2016 at 12:08 AM Post #9,914 of 151,727
  Cost was about 25USD. I was lucky to find a local place where I dropped off and picked up, so no shipping etc. Removing are re-fitting the case, whilst a little fiddly is very easy, just remove all the screws and slide off.

Looks great! And I am not a fan of black boxes but that is very classy.

Jan 24, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #9,915 of 151,727
Cost was about 25USD. I was lucky to find a local place where I dropped off and picked up, so no shipping etc. Removing and re-fitting the case, whilst a little fiddly is very easy, just remove all the screws and slide off.

That sounds very promising. I too am concerned about losing the screen printing, especially if powder coated.

Does the black anodizing look consistant and quality, or is there any blotching? Some grades of aluminum don't take color anodizing too well.

Good job dude. Will look into trying this on my Yggy.:beerchug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back