Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 12, 2015 at 6:06 AM Post #9,061 of 150,324
A look into the future by going back to the future:-
Quote:
Originally Postulated by Jason Stoddard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
  2015, Chapter 20:
Changing The [REDACTED] Into an [EMBARGOED]

Okay, so let’s imagine for a moment that Schiit design briefs are conducted kinda like hiring a sketchy spaceship on a certain desert planet—as in, at a table in a seedy bar, with both the captain and the science officer keeping their cards as close to their probosci as possible.

Such a design brief might go something like this:

“I need an isotropic warp drive,” says the captain, casually, as if the science officer gave a neutered neutron, as if they don’t really need, well, like, an engineer—a damn good engineer—that the Federation actually churns out of Space Academy in copious quantities and differing species..

The science officer sighs. “What kinda engineer?” he answers, after a time, knowing that there are a thousand ways to give the captain what he needs.

“A good engineer, and cheap,” replies the captain.

“How many degrees, how many commendations, what species?” the science officer rattles off, crossing his arms.

“We're running an an Enterprise class spaceship , maybe a Scot, and small, distillery,” the captain says.

“That’s doable,” the science officer says, thinking, this is a cakewalk, I can get one off the unemployment queues, throw him into one of the big Teleportation cum replicator thingies with a wall-wart and I’m done in time for dinner.

“But I was thinking, well, you know, about something special, like a fully educated,septuple Ph.D polymorph engineer that can work out time travel ” adds the captain, not looking up from his single malt coke.

The science officer clears his throat and says nothing, thinking: Now you’re talking real engineer. Multi math discipline. Affine Heck algebra. Testing with plasma isotonic loads. Megatons of parts. Only an entity like Starfleet would be crazy enough to do something like that on an inexpensive
Enterprise class starcruiser

“Price?” the science officer asks, finally.

“Hundred and fifty, hundred and seventy, tops,” the captain says, looking like a Klingon. "Trillion credits, bars of rolled gold latinum?" asks the science officer. "No" replies the captain " Pint bottles of rotgut"

The science officer keeps his poker face, quickly calculating the cost of this complex discrete product with a gigagaton of parts. “Anything else? You want a Chronoclastic Infundibulum in there too? 5D Navigation system? Slow-cooker and microwave? Remote control, switch on front?”

“No, no,” the captain waves his hand, as if to cut through the science officer's rapid-fire onslaught of ideas. “Except…”

“Except what?” the science officer prompts.

“Except,I was also thinking, well, like, maybe a tube…” the captain trails off, smiling hopefully at the science officer.

“A tube?” the science officer asks, speaking very slowly, as if to a child. “As in, a vacuum tube? As in, you want this to be a vacuum tube battlecruiser?”

The captain grimaces."NO, no, no -  I'm talking space tunnel, time vortex, interdimensional space portal".

The science officer, laughing uproariously, pulls out his communicator and blows a raspberry down the line.

The requisition clerk asks "whatcha want, NOW.?"

The science officer replies in a droll tone " We need a cheap engineer that will work for cheap whiskey, and a doctor to keep feeding the captain his valium and sleeping pills".

"Gotcha" the requisition clerk replies.

Next morning the Scottish engineer and sawbones show up and keep the captain amused while the first officer runs the Enterprise around the galaxy looking for new life forms.

The captain asks the engineer what he is going to call this allamagoosa that he's gonna build.

The engineer says "it's the [REDACTED]" due to starfleet having put the previous iterartion into mothballs.

A week later the captain asks the engineer "How long is this thing gonna take to finish?"

The engineer replies in an insulting Scottish brogue " Ya canna have it in less than six months, captain" .

"You've got six hours" replies the captain, playing with his tribble.

"You canna break the laws of physics" screams the distraught engineer, as he consults his slide rule.

Five hours later the engineer calls the captain and informs him that the device is installed into the starship, and ready for activation.

The captain transports down into the engineering lab and sees a large red button in the middle of a console.

"What's the button for?" asks the captain.

The engineer replies "It's the activator for the new time dilation transmogrifier and interdimensional transwarp portal"

The captain, suitably dosed up with valium ignores the science officer tied up in the corner and mumbling protestations through his designer gag, and decisively depresses the red button.

The starship is instantly enveloped in an electric blue glow and transports itself five minutes into the perpetual future.

So the result was that the starship Enterprise is now, due to the activation of the [REDACTED], and in spite of all the best efforts of all of the United Federation Of Planets. and multitudinous others,

[EMBARGOED]

Dec 12, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #9,062 of 150,324
Quote:
  I hate to admit, I have no idea how a stereo amp can be built with only one tube... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 
Can someone care to explain? 

From the Schiit VALI 2 FAQ Page
So wait, how do you match a single tube?
Good question! The tubes we use are “double triodes,” meaning they have two triodes per tube (how else could a single tube work in a stereo amp?) The two triodes inside each tube have to be matched for gain, or else there may be some channel imbalance. When you order tubes for rolling, make sure both triodes are matched (some tube resellers call them “sections.”)

Quote:
2 questions:

1) Can we just get a single LISST tube instead of a pair since we only need one for the Vali 2, and maybe price the single LISST tube at $50?

2) How similar or different does a Vali 2 LISST sound compared to Magni 2?

From the Schiit VALI 2 FAQ Page
Hey, can you use LISST in this?
Sure you can, but why? Magni 2 Uber is a better, more powerful, and less expensive choice for a solid-state amp. 

Dec 12, 2015 at 7:04 AM Post #9,063 of 150,324
Alright I will give credit where it is due, rmoody called it again. He told me a Bifrost Multibit would be released this year and he was right. He said what the Vali needed was the ability to roll tubes and preamp outputs to have a killer amp. I agreed , I Just did not see it happening this soon as Jason said something along the lines of buying a metric buttload of the 6088 tubes used in the Original Vali. I guess the remaining stock will be used in about 5-10 years for Vali tube replacements

I have the Original Vali and I use it a lot at work. I debated yesterday and this morning over my morning Cup of Joe. All of the quirks of the Original Vali listed in the last chapter kept bouncing around in my head. It all Makes Sense now considering the process the schiit team has to go through to get one ready to ship, The First one I had to send back because it what seemed like the was ringing all the time. This one some time rings when my desk gets a little bump and yeah sometimes I can hear the noise floor between tracks. It did not bother me, It sounds great when music is playing and no one dropped anything. As I pondered the aspect of a better Vali At some point I ended up on the Schitt Website reading the specs and at some point a Vali 2 Fell in the cart. In My attempts to get it out of the cart I accidentally hit the Submit button. That's My story and I am sticking to it.

Heads Up for Jason, I am guessing you probably have not gotten around to it considering the Vali 2 Was Released yesterday. On the Schiit.Com Guides Page, When you select choosing an amp on the left navigation bar, the Original Vali is still listed.

Dec 12, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #9,065 of 150,324
Full page ad on page 80 of the January 2016 Stereophile:

"DACS MADE FOR THE MUSIC YOU HAVE,
NOT THE MUSIC YOU HAVE TO BUY

BIFROST MULTIBIT $599, GUNGNIR MULTIBIT $1249, YGGDRASIL $2399
You'll be amazed what's hiding in your 'lowly' 16/44.1 music when you play it on a Schiit multibit DAC. Forget your stress about costly 'unicorn' formats and fully experience the music you already love."

First Schiit print ad that I've seen. Man in profile sitting back enjoying music, presumably created by a schiit DAC. Black and white. Attractive ad.
Updated with more text from the ad

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #9,066 of 150,324

You'll be amazed what's hiding in your 'lowly' 16/44.1 music when you play it on a Schiit multibit DAC. Forget your stress about costly 'unicorn' formats and fully experience the music you already love."

First Schiit print ad that I've seen. Man in profile sitting back enjoying music, presumably created by a schiit DAC. Black and white. Attractive ad.

I wonder if @Jason Stoddard could be persuaded to put a downrez'd picture of the ad in this thread.

Dec 12, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #9,067 of 150,324
Yo Jason,

Congrats to you and Schiit crew for another awesome invention.   I think you've created a perfect product for folks who want to dip their toes in the tube world (and tube rolling!) but arent ready to throw down huge amounts of cash.     I was one of those folks last year and was looking at lower cost entry level models like those from Bravo or Little Dot but really wanted Schiit.  In my case, i waited and saved my dough and ended up jumping in with a Lyr I (which i adore).    The Vali2 is EXACTLY what i was looking for.

Merry Christmas to You and Your Team Dude.....thanks for another wonderful year of amazing gear.

Peace .n. Living in Stereo

3ToF

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #9,068 of 150,324
@bigro:    hahahaha...loved your post.    I think I may be a similar position too...im hanging out on Schiits website and somehow a Vali2 keeps finding its way into my shopping cart.   If only i could find the button to undo that....hmmm...maybe its the "submit" button you referenced?   hahahahah  

Of course, now that i think of it,  a Vali2 would make a nice bookend with my Mangi2U @ work!

Peace .n. Audio Goodness

3ToF

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #9,069 of 150,324
  Yo Jason,

Congrats to you and Schiit crew for another awesome invention.   I think you've created a perfect product for folks who want to dip their toes in the tube world (and tube rolling!) but arent ready to throw down huge amounts of cash.     I was one of those folks last year and was looking at lower cost entry level models like those from Bravo or Little Dot but really wanted Schiit.  In my case, i waited and saved my dough and ended up jumping in with a Lyr I (which i adore).    The Vali2 is EXACTLY what i was looking for.

Merry Christmas to You and Your Team Dude.....thanks for another wonderful year of amazing gear.

Peace .n. Living in Stereo

3ToF

I agree, the Vali 2 is priced well. There are two other competitors around here including the older hifiman EF 2 [which had a lot of positive reviews] an the Garage 1217 amps as well, which are also highly reviewed... so given the competition. I think they really hit the nail on the head with this product! 

Dec 12, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #9,070 of 150,324

Yep, you'll start seeing us (a bit) more...it's time the more traditional audio community knew about the DACs, at least.

And yes, the ad is deliberately provocative. After so many years of hearing the drumbeat for "high res, high res, DSD, DSD," and hearing about how every new DAC could do 24/96, 24/192, 32/384, 64/768, DSD256, DSD512, DSD1024, I figured that many audiophiles might want to, well, buy a DAC made for the music they had, rather than the <0.1% of music that is available in high-res. The euphoria over high-res seemed to gloss over the implication, which was: "Yes, and this also means re-buying all of your favorite music...are you cool with that? Again?"

We'll see if the message resonates, or if the Audio 1% take up pitchforks.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 12, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #9,071 of 150,324
"DACS MADE FOR THE MUSIC YOU HAVE,
NOT THE MUSIC YOU HAVE TO BUY"

I am amazed at information my audio files have i dont care about dsd any more BiMB has delivered music out of my set up period by the way thanks to the Schiits i have played dsd through the loki 
oh well will have to find another use for it now 
biggrin.gif

Dec 12, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #9,074 of 150,324

Schiit Ad in Stereophile

That's me, in my lovely ( cloth covered, not leather ) Lazy-boy, iMac playing Chopin thru my Asgard2. ( add a few decades to the man's age ) 

Clever that I can't see if I'm wearing headphones (HD580s or Etymotics or listening to Active Monitors).

Of course the Ad is about enjoying music not about buying pricy High-End Gear.

Seems like our music lover still has one foot in the past with his wall of music shelving, I've always felt that Schiit was a Company that could take us 'old-coots' out of the 20th Century and into the 21st.   

I could have our Ad guys have a look at this ad but I'd say this Ad is the work of greatness: subtle yet powerful, understated but saying everything.

A British Glossy level Ad, hmm, you're raising the bar for a struggling Stereophile.

Well done, 

Tony in MIchigan 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back