Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 2, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #7,861 of 149,556
Multibit upgrade is ordered!
I had a feeling this was going to be announced this weekend (Isn't that right bigro?).
Bigro ordered his Bifrost (finally after wining about it for months) so I had to upgrade mine so his DAC isn't bigger than mine.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #7,862 of 149,556
Thank you,
Well Since it now has a standard usd,
I'll definetly be using that and the coaxl,
I'm going to be using IEMs with it so the $399 should be fine then?
Thanks!
Yes, the product page on Schitt's website has vast amounts of details explaining the new delta-sigma version, the reason for the price drop, and the multibit version.  I'd strongly suggest reading that first, then making your decision.

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #7,864 of 149,556
I'm a little confused about the S/PDIF input receiver chip called out on the Schiit site specs page for the yggy, gumby and bimbo DACs: AKM4313/AK4313.  According to my googling efforts, the AK4313 is an 18bit DS DAC chip that was discontinued in 2002,  Considering that these DSP SHARC processors can be programmed to receive SPDIF directly or be fitted with an S/PDIF transceiver peripheral (I2S out?), I'm not sure what's going on.  An AK411X (6?) series chip would have been my guess.

Jason, can you give us some kind of subjective estimate of how much if any resolution and/or fidelity is given up in using an opamp IC chip in the Bifrost MB output stage instead of discrete components (JFET buffers or other (DC coupled)), as in the regular Bifrost, Gungnir and Yggdrasil?  

Oct 2, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #7,865 of 149,556
On my way to post office with my Bifrost. :wink:

Oct 2, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #7,866 of 149,556
I feel like such a rebel! Ordered today, RA received (although I have no idea what number I am in line), Bifrost is in the box, Modi 2 Uber is in the lineup until the upgrade is complete. So nervous! Never been on the bleeding edge like this before!

I requested to have my uber board returned for "experimentation" purposes.

I love Schiit's customer service. I always try to crack a joke with them. I keep hoping I'll get a LOL or something from them one day :).

Last communication was me telling telling them I'm that group of few customers that love them. I do, I would not have the amazing system I have now if not for Schiit. Their products are affordable and good, rare combination these days. Thanks Mike, Jason, all at Schitt!

I look forward to the day I order the GMB and M2 and go balanced to my yammi HS8s and Ether Cs.

This set the Ether C's back a bit, but I think a worthy delay.

Oct 2, 2015 at 11:14 PM Post #7,867 of 149,556
Okay, I FINALLY dug up and scanned some of the old photos. Not many, though—I think my main stash is still hiding in a box somewhere. But here are a few to give you some flavor of the Odeon days.

Before we got chased off, a better look at the line. Note the sculpture in the background. It was our unofficial "mascot." It helps to know that Jose was a sculptor, and does stuff like this these days.

We ended up using a shot like this for the brochure, so the shoot wasn't a total loss.

A rear view of the speakers.

Jose surveying his handiwork.

The first shop we built in Jose's backyard.

Inside the shop, Jose working on the mascot.

Inside the shop, scene 2.

When we had to move larger speakers...

We had Eddie's stylish El Camino to cart them around!

I'll see what else I can dig up--I really hope I have some pics from the later shop...

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Oct 3, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #7,868 of 149,556
So where is the mascot now?

Oct 3, 2015 at 3:48 AM Post #7,869 of 149,556
  Multibit upgrade is ordered!
I had a feeling this was going to be announced this weekend (Isn't that right bigro?).
Bigro ordered his Bifrost (finally after wining about it for months) so I had to upgrade mine so his DAC isn't bigger than mine.

Yes,  You Had a lucky Hunch. Now I get to hear you whine about the Ether C's for months
beerchug.gif

I Added the Bifrost Multi Bit to the Cart So I can check shipping costs and get a total cost. Then I must Have blacked out Because I woke up with my card in one hand and a confirmation screen on my computer. That's the story I told my wife and I am sticking to it.
I temporarily Borrowed from the Elac Debut funds since they are stuck in customs. I am up early to pick up some extra hours at the part time job to make up from my blackout.

Oct 3, 2015 at 7:13 AM Post #7,871 of 149,556

Wow ,
 I still use SAE stuff ! Namely an A501 amp with a working 2100 Preamp and 1800 parametric Eq. And I remember the DAK sell out days.. sad day for SAE nuts but in that time my first amp was the integrated SAE A14 with a T14 tuner. Those were the days. Guess now getting back into the HiFi game I found getting some nice headphones and portable amps to relive my youth.I just started reading your story but cant wait to see more of the long road hehe.
  I love the Lyr2 Amp by the way.. thanks for making a solid desktop amp!

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #7,872 of 149,556
Thank you for another entertaining chapter, Jason. And also for the additional photos. The first image of the speakers standing in the desert is really good regarding location, composition and exposure. Quite amazing when one considers the circumstances you described.

Oct 3, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #7,873 of 149,556
Jason,

I cant tell you how striking and amazing those speakers look, even today with all the bling bling going around these days.

Jose really was a hell of an artist and had a good eye for shapes.

Any chance you would like to try the speaker thing again?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back