Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 29, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #6,586 of 151,399
I'd far rather spend less money on energy to power the devices in my house and fuel my car, leaving more of my budget available for better gear and other quality of life things.  Therefore, the amount of power drawn by the devices I consider purchasing plays into my decision on whether or not to purchase them.  If they use less power than their competitors for similar or better results, I am more likely to buy them.

-Some things become a lot easier when living in a country where we heat our houses all year round and predominantly use electricity to do it.

If my HiFi gear is hopelessly inefficient, it only means my thermostat-controlled ovens are on a slightly lower duty cycle than they would otherwise have been.

Also, listening to music is a lot more fun as a way to heat one's house than listening to the faint 50Hz him from the ovens...

May 29, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #6,587 of 151,399
you could add reduced road trips carbon costs as a credit if instead you stay home and listen

May 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #6,588 of 151,399
-Some things become a lot easier when living in a country where we heat our houses all year round and predominantly use electricity to do it.

If my HiFi gear is hopelessly inefficient, it only means my thermostat-controlled ovens are on a slightly lower duty cycle than they would otherwise have been.

Also, listening to music is a lot more fun as a way to heat one's house than listening to the faint 50Hz him from the ovens...

As a Canadian who is expecting tonight's frost warning to kill all the new grass I just planted, I concur.

May 29, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #6,590 of 151,399

I used to live in Vegas and for a few months of the year I would stare at my Asgard 2 and curse it for making my bills insane. I moved back to Oregon and I have to say it is really nice to not open up a $380 energy bill because my amp and AC are fighting each other.

May 29, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #6,591 of 151,399
So, what would make us all really interested that hasn't been done in the world of headphones? 
There's all this talk about which amp works great with which headphones. How about an amp that is adaptable? Look at Devialets Speaker Active Matching SAM® http://en.devialet.com/expert/#discover
Has anything like this ever been tried with headphones? Is it possible? Desirable? Would it actually make any difference? 

All I know is that I'd pay for an amp like that. 

May 30, 2015 at 12:48 AM Post #6,594 of 151,399

I used to live in Vegas and for a few months of the year I would stare at my Asgard 2 and curse it for making my bills insane. I moved back to Oregon and I have to say it is really nice to not open up a $380 energy bill because my amp and AC are fighting each other.

Electricity is that expensive in Vegas?
blink.gif

May 30, 2015 at 11:35 AM Post #6,597 of 151,399
What bugs me the most about my current systems? No decent portable CD players available. I've got a couple thousand of those archaic shiny discs to choose from when I want to listen in my living room, but can't take 'em with me to use with a modern update of the venerable Sony Discman. There are thousands of "old timers" like me who woul snap up a sub $200 anti-skip CD player for listening on-the-go with portable headphones and/or IEMs. So, how about some more Schiit for us old farts? Work your magic on a truly portable unit with decent battery life and above average sonics . . . and I think they would fly out the door!

Gotta go! The operator in town just rang my signal on the party line - and I bet the Pony Express rider dropped off some mail for me at the General Store! :p

Keep listenin' and keep smilin'!
Kev

May 30, 2015 at 4:02 PM Post #6,598 of 151,399
What bugs me the most about my current systems? No decent portable CD players available. I've got a couple thousand of those archaic shiny discs to choose from when I want to listen in my living room, but can't take 'em with me to use with a modern update of the venerable Sony Discman. There are thousands of "old timers" like me who woul snap up a sub $200 anti-skip CD player for listening on-the-go with portable headphones and/or IEMs. So, how about some more Schiit for us old farts? Work your magic on a truly portable unit with decent battery life and above average sonics . . . and I think they would fly out the door!

Gotta go! The operator in town just rang my signal on the party line - and I bet the Pony Express rider dropped off some mail for me at the General Store!
tongue.gif

Keep listenin' and keep smilin'!
Kev

Kev, I don't know how to say this without sounding cruel: This ain't gonna happen. You could just as well wish for a new model of horse-carriage.  Just use this contraption on your computer, the CD-Rom drive, to rip the discs and turn them into lossless files. That is what I do. That is the only realistic way to listen to those shiny discs on-the-go.  

I really don't mean to be arrogant. This piece of advice comes from a person who owns about 1500 vinyl records and keeps buying new ones, so I understand how you feel about your babies. But there is no sense in wishing for the moon. 

May 30, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #6,599 of 151,399

Kev, I don't know how to say this without sounding cruel: This ain't gonna happen. You could just as well wish for a new model of horse-carriage.  Just use this contraption on your computer, the CD-Rom drive, to rip the discs and turn them into lossless files. That is what I do. That is the only realistic way to listen to those shiny discs on-the-go.  

I really don't mean to be arrogant. This piece of advice comes from a person who owns about 1500 vinyl records and keeps buying new ones, so I understand how you feel about your babies. But there is no sense in wishing for the moon. 

This.  Buy an X1, man.

May 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #6,600 of 151,399
What is an X1?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back