Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 20, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #6,376 of 150,456
Now that the SqueezeBox duet and other Squeezebox variants are discontinued....A device like that in a similar price bracket would be great!!   The Aurilic Aries looks great....but it ....errr little expensive really.    The Squeeze box had every feature you could ever need really.   You wouldn't need to build a remote either, everyone has a smart phone these days and if they don't they probably would be able to figure out how to use it.  

May 20, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #6,377 of 150,456
If it's portable and big, I'm out.

I currently use a three component balanced portable stack. It works fine for me on airplanes but not so much for walking the dogs.
I want small and Hi-Fi (and balanced).

I would love to see a good tube power amp (monoblocks?) from Schiit. Something for guys like me who really want a MC275 but lack the wallet space. Something that is easy to use for novices. Ideally $1500-ish.

Once I'd been convinced to buy the great bang-for-the-buck Schiit power amp, it stands to reason that I could then be seduced by their matching tube/hybrid statement Preamp (sans DAC).

May 20, 2015 at 9:55 PM Post #6,380 of 150,456

But isn't that what we do.... searching for the sound. you add or subtract till you find the right potion for your ears.  Doesn't matter how you get there, you just get there... but I respect your opinion.

I'm a fan of simplicity though. So adding another step just doesn't jive for me. And yeah it's just an opinion. If the sound is good then rock on!

May 20, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #6,381 of 150,456

And, a wildcard.

Should we be looking at an analog-to-digital converter using the same megaburrito filter as Yggdrasil? Mike did it once, for insane prices (see Mobile Fidelity’s GAIN system (not GAIN 2). Yes, there are actually a bunch of GAIN CDs out there that were mastered with a complementary algorithm to Yggdrasil. They’re, um, pretty insane. Should we do that again? But again, that gets us into an entirely different market…the pro market…which we know very little about.

I might be one of only a handful but I think an excellent & affordable A/D converter would be fantastic. The big commercial studios won't care but there's a huge market for smaller, home studio users. Don't believe me? Just go over to GearSlutz and take a gander at all of the threads relating to this market.

Not to mention the people who want to digitize their vinyl collection.

May 20, 2015 at 10:40 PM Post #6,383 of 150,456
  Throw a little Schiit sticker in with each product.  I see these all the time with Yeti coolers, I bet I'd see a bunch if Schiit did the same.

Hell no. I don't wan to pay for that. You want a sticker ask them to make swag and you pay for it.

Besides, have you seen how much Yeti coolers cost? Sorry, they MAY cost $5 more in materials to make than an Igloo, but they cost way more.

May 20, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #6,385 of 150,456
  1. Portable amp or DAC/amp. Hmm. This is one I spent a lot of time on last year and ended up abandoning, mainly because I couldn’t answer Question #2 well enough—that is, how do we do it better or cheaper? This is something I could still get behind, though, if we figure out a way to make it unique enough. And we have some ideas…but those ideas point towards a relatively large device with very high power output and some unique takes on power supply and topology (discrete.) So we’ll keep playing. Which is where I’d ask…would you be interested in a larger-than-normal portable amp/DAC that provides truly stellar performance? I’d assume that iOS and Android connectivity (self-powered USB input) would be a must, but let me know what you think.

Just my 2 cents. Size wise, I'm willing to accept up to something as large as the O2 amp but with DAC. However, I understand most people do not consider the O2 amp "portable" (in fact, I don't either! I call it transportable), so you might have to go smaller than that.

I don't need it to have a unique power supply or topology, just for it to sound good, like Magni+Modi levels kind of good.

Definitely battery powered, and definitely self-powered USB input. Personally, I don't see the need for portable amps to power full sized cans, that's meant for desktop amps. Instead, portable amps should be designed to be paired with the most sensitive IEMs you can find, and perhaps have enough power for portable cans.

What I dislike most about my current set up is my DAP, which I understand that Schiit will not get into, that's cool with me, but there's seriously a lack of decent option for an inexpensive touchscreen option that doesn't lag and sound good. The closest I can find is the Geek Wave but who knows when that will be released.

May 20, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #6,386 of 150,456

I love my System now,

more than I ever have in my entire life:  ASGARD 2 & Sennheiser HD580s & Sennheiser 900mhz Wireless headphones (300ft.range).

I don't like my 'INTERCONNECTS"  though, I'm ok with my PSYTs but all the rest of my drawer full on colorful interconnects should go in the trash except for my worry about emergency contingencies.  

I'd buy Schiit Interconnects! 

I'd like to see some Good-Better-Best ($10-$20-$40) or ($20-$40-$80) Schiit Interconnects, made in USA ( of course ), maybe have a couple of girls making them up, on the 2nd Floor of the Schiit World Headquarters.

Annnnd I'd like to have a Schiit T-Shirt,  hmm, $20 or so.  Black shirt with the big S logo on center front.   Maybe $10 extra for a Stoddard or the other guy's Autograph.  

I can't imagine what electronic device you could design and sell,  I'm not that visionary.  

[size=x-small]I [/size]recommend[size=x-small] you simply go for a bigger slice of the market, do Europe if you can figure it out, Northern Europe especially! [/size]

[size=x-small]You lads did well, I started believing in you when Tyll & Steve G. talked you up back in 2012 or so.  [/size]

[size=x-small]You're quality is holding up.[/size]

[size=x-small]Headphones = Schiit in the USA today, in how many years?, 5 maybe.  [/size]

[size=x-small]Plan out the last half of this decade, solidify your base, smooth out your personnel bumps, build infrastructure, enjoy life if you can.   [/size]

If you wanna grow beyond what you have now, buy up somebody ( perhaps a wire outfit ).

And for Crist's sake don't break what you already have.  

Tony in Michigan

May 21, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #6,388 of 150,456
A fully balanced, multiple input, stepped attenuator pre-amp that is affordable AND... has a remote is a tremendous idea.

In the marketplace now it is either super expensive or you really need to pick and choose a set of the aforementioned features and deal with lessor sound quality, build quality or inconvenience.

The cheapest thing I can think of, that I would trust, is Goldpoint Precision Balanced Level Controls. But those lack remotes, only have two inputs and can only do balanced or unbalanced.

So +1 vote for Pre-Amp

May 21, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #6,389 of 150,456
A music server is highly exciting, a natural extension to your current lineup and an opportunity to dominate in a space with some lack-luster and overpriced products. 

The Vision.
The Schiit Movement takes your audio from wherever it’s stored and delivers it via our all new USB Gen 3 output to any DAC. We’ve built a tiny computer, wrapped it in our signature aluminium case so it matches the rest of your Schiit and developed a beautiful application that lets you explore, discover and queue your music from a web browser on any mobile or desktop device connected to your network. The Schiit Movement brings the online experience of cloud services like Tidal and Spotify locally, to *your* music collection.

Connect the Schiit Movement to a USB drive, NAS or portable hard drive for as much storage space as you need. Connect it to your network via wired gigabit ethernet, or wireless N or AC wifi.

The Schiit Movement - you’ll feel better once you’ve had one. 

Yes, it absolutely matters.
I work for a software development company and the biggest 'thing' right now is the recognition that design, specifically user experience design in software is one of the biggest factors that affect purchase decisions for consumer products, or ‘apps’ if you prefer that term. This is something that people who commission custom software have been slow to recognise and embrace as it adds a significant cost to the development phase of an application. Companies who recognise that providing a seamless, beautiful, user centred experience (think Uber, AirBnB) are owning their markets, and herein lies the opportunity for Schiit. No one else with a music server product does this well, or cost effectively.

If you can take the Tidal, Spotify, Rdio etc experience and apply it to your customers own music, on their own hardware and network at a reasonable price point, then you will capture the market because your customers will want to use your product. And hey, they can then untether their laptop as well.

A music server isn’t about the hardware, it’s not about being technically bit perfect – those problems have already been solved. It’s about providing the Apple experience of software that’s simple to setup and just and ‘just works’. 

I don’t want to call out competitors products here. Im summary, I’ve used several – and they fall into one of three categories for me: Schiity software that ruins the experience and causes frustration, prohibitively expensive and closed systems, or no longer supported by the manufacturer.

On doing it cheaper.
Your point about a music server just being a computer is spot on, and that has some advantages – you have a large choice of cheap, readily available and widely supported hardware. The specification for a music server hardware is pretty low – you need enough processing power and memory to run a web server, you want a good USB chip and you probably want network expansion options: wired ethernet and the various flavours of wifi. I don’t see need any need for bluetooth. I don’t think you need a display either. The https://volumio.org/ project shows that this can be achieved at an audiophile level on a Raspberry Pi. A dedicated board mass produced would be cheaper.

Yes, you will need software support, maintenance, patching etc. This isn’t to be dismissed in terms of overhead – but it can be managed and streamlined to control costs and effort. A build server with continuous integration / continuous deployment for your custom software, a forum for user support and a development roadmap that balances your budget against feature releases is achievable on a manageable budget.

The good news is that as you control the hardware platform, you don’t need to account for variance in operating systems/hardware.

The majority of costs will be in developing your software stack. This is labour intensive, and will require a team. At a minimum, you want someone to manage the project and own the product. You want a talented developer (or two), a designer and a tester. The best software is built by teams – you wouldn’t get the bricky to architect, design, build and decorate your house - you want experts in each field. You can outsource this, though It would be worth running a business case to hire the product owner or dev in house, so that once the initial release is complete you have someone to cover the maintenance, support and product planning. If you outsource, like the Schiit case manufacturers you’ve written previously about, you want a partner that will proactively support you.

I don’t think it would be hard to produce a BoM that would significantly under price products from Linn, Olive etc. The deciding factor will likely be the cost of software development against the number of units you anticipate being able to sell.

On doing it better.
    - Build a beautiful, attractive UI that brings the Tidal / Spotify / Rdio / Pandora style interface and experience to locally stored music. Think about how you explore, search and discover music on online services, versus the ‘browse by artist, album or genre’ that’s standard in most available music servers & players.
    - Make it web based, so that I can use my phone/desktop/laptop as a remote control.
    - Build it on an API that you publish the specs to, so that others can write add-ons and clients for your server.
    - Make the hardware look like all your other schiit.
    - Make it output data via usb so that the Schiit Movement can be used as a source for *any* DAC that accepts USB input
    - Commit to a regular release cycle to continually improve the software

I think that's worth getting excited about.

Woo, first post!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back