Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 14, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #5,927 of 150,254
Apr 14, 2015 at 5:46 PM Post #5,928 of 150,254

Hello Mr. Ableza,

I'm thinking that too, it's an active EQ not a Passive system.   

If the BSR has a higher output voltage (and as a result is loading the A2 with a stronger signal to amplify)  then I'm working with an additional gain stage here, a two stage amplification system.   

The BSR seems pretty darn good, at least initially, I'll try to discover how much gain it's capable of , it might be enough to drive headphones all on it's own.  ( Probably not )  

I'll wait a month or two before I in-Shrine it, I tend to impulsively embrace things only to later realize that I've been fooling myself.

In the mean time, the voice coils aren't heating up to melt their adhesive, the Asgard 2 isn't ( or doesn't seem to be ) going into clipping and I'm enjoying the show.  

Initially , I'm calculating : $50 for an Ebay BSR Eq. + &150 for an Ebay HD580 + $250 for a New Asgard 2 ( if thats what they still cost ) = a Category Crushing $500 Headphone System.  

First hand I can report that the Full Blown Bottlehead Crack transforms the Sennheisers but still leaves a person asking for a bit more,  I'm not at all hoping for any more from this little BSR/Schiit/Hd580 !

[size=x-small]I will give a full report if the some meltdown happens or if the A2 starts leaking Capacitance [/size]all over my beautiful desk.

For now, it's all running like a top.  

Tony in Michigan

Apr 14, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #5,929 of 150,254

Hello Mr. Ableza,

I'm thinking that too, it's an active EQ not a Passive system.   

If the BSR has a higher output voltage (and as a result is loading the A2 with a stronger signal to amplify)  then I'm working with an additional gain stage here, a two stage amplification system.   

The BSR seems pretty darn good, at least initially, I'll try to discover how much gain it's capable of , it might be enough to drive headphones all on it's own.  ( Probably not )  

I'll wait a month or two before I in-Shrine it, I tend to impulsively embrace things only to later realize that I've been fooling myself.

In the mean time, the voice coils aren't heating up to melt their adhesive, the Asgard 2 isn't ( or doesn't seem to be ) going into clipping and I'm enjoying the show.  

Initially , I'm calculating : $50 for an Ebay BSR Eq. + &150 for an Ebay HD580 + $250 for a New Asgard 2 ( if thats what they still cost ) = a Category Crushing $500 Headphone System.  

First hand I can report that the Full Blown Bottlehead Crack transforms the Sennheisers but still leaves a person asking for a bit more,  I'm not at all hoping for any more from this little BSR/Schiit/Hd580 !

[size=x-small]I will give a full report if the some meltdown happens or if the A2 starts leaking Capacitance [/size]all over my beautiful desk.

For now, it's all running like a top.  

Tony in Michigan

Most EQs have a level control for each channel. The purpose of the level control is to lower the EQed signal to provide unity gain. That is the proper use of an EQ.

Apr 14, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #5,930 of 150,254

Mr.Rick,

Thank you,  this BSR is a price-point Consumer 10 Band device, it has "pretty" lights but no master level control.  

I've posted this un-scientific experiment on a few Audio Sites.  A recording studio engineer writes me about the various Pro-Level Eq systems available from Sweetwater. He suggests greater/better results are available, he's suggesting a parametric EQ.   Now I'm realizing an entire professional world of signal tuning the Studios use on everything.  

It seems that Audiophile Audio are the only group that don't rely on any type of corrective tools.  

I'm on a learning curve here, at the early stage, there's lots to understand, where do I stop and accept?

Thanks for writing

Tony in Wonderful Michigan 

ps.  Professor Baldr writes about the RIAA Equalization he factored into his earliest amplification designs.  hmm, Eq seems to have been a component of our earliest AAA vinyl systems including the Sheffield Labs Vinyl that Doug Sax ( rip ) created.  
  Am I just discovering that Eq is pervasive in all Audio?  
  We must've been music "Puritans" to deny it's existence and utility in our Equipment Purchases.  

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:57 PM Post #5,931 of 150,254
Audiophiles are still suffering a bad hangover from some pretty awful consumer equalizers that were used and misused way back when.  Fast forward to the 21st century and it's almost impossible to get any source material that hasn't been equalized at least once if not many times.   If you want unequalized sound you almost have to record it yourself.  Most of the signal shaping done today is done in the digital domain.  Some believe it's better than the old analog EQs while others continue to believe it creates digital hash.  It certainly isn't bit perfect.  The only thing an audiophile can do is work to ensure that the source material available to them is faithfully reproduced.

Jason is on a mission to develop a solution to the repetitive equalization problem. We all know what happens to sound quality when it is put through repeatedly put through replicators.  The aliens are said to have an appropriate technological solution.  Jason is in the their mothership at this very minute in order to acquire [redacted] which will be incorporated in their new product, the [redacted].  Rumors that he is being [redacted] by the aliens are just plain false.  They don't even have [redacted].  

No, I'm afraid there is no longer such a thing as the original sound without going to an un-amplified real-life performance. Now if Jason and Professor Baldr could come up with a product that brings us a virtual live performance that would be a hot Schiit.

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:13 PM Post #5,932 of 150,254
Hey maybe the upcoming mysterious Schiit [REDACTED] is going to be an EQ!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:21 PM Post #5,933 of 150,254

Mr.Rick,

Thank you,  this BSR is a price-point Consumer 10 Band device, it has "pretty" lights but no master level control.  

I've posted this un-scientific experiment on a few Audio Sites.  A recording studio engineer writes me about the various Pro-Level Eq systems available from Sweetwater. He suggests greater/better results are available, he's suggesting a parametric EQ.   Now I'm realizing an entire professional world of signal tuning the Studios use on everything.  

It seems that Audiophile Audio are the only group that don't rely on any type of corrective tools.  

I'm on a learning curve here, at the early stage, there's lots to understand, where do I stop and accept?

Thanks for writing

Tony in Wonderful Michigan 

ps.  Professor Baldr writes about the RIAA Equalization he factored into his earliest amplification designs.  hmm, Eq seems to have been a component of our earliest AAA vinyl systems including the Sheffield Labs Vinyl that Doug Sax ( rip ) created.  
  Am I just discovering that Eq is pervasive in all Audio?  
  We must've been music "Puritans" to deny it's existence and utility in our Equipment Purchases.  

I built and tested consumer equalizers for about ten years in the 1970s. ( Probably before you were born,)

Use EQs like salt: A little here and there is fine, but over do it and you spoil things.
wink_face.gif

Apr 14, 2015 at 8:40 PM Post #5,934 of 150,254
Audiophiles are still suffering a bad hangover from some pretty awful consumer equalizers that were used and misused way back when.  Fast forward to the 21st century and it's almost impossible to get any source material that hasn't been equalized at least once if not many times.   If you want unequalized sound you almost have to record it yourself.  Most of the signal shaping done today is done in the digital domain.  Some believe it's better than the old analog EQs while others continue to believe it creates digital hash.  It certainly isn't bit perfect.  The only thing an audiophile can do is work to ensure that the source material available to them is faithfully reproduced.

Jason is on a mission to develop a solution to the repetitive equalization problem. We all know what happens to sound quality when it is put through repeatedly put through replicators.  The aliens are said to have an appropriate technological solution.  Jason is in the their mothership at this very minute in order to acquire [redacted] which will be incorporated in their new product, the [redacted].  Rumors that he is being [redacted] by the aliens are just plain false.  They don't even have [redacted].  

No, I'm afraid there is no longer such a thing as the original sound without going to an un-amplified real-life performance. Now if Jason and Professor Baldr could come up with a product that brings us a virtual live performance that would be a hot Schiit.

Good to know! I either go straight to the Lyr or through a pro EQ Rane DEQ60L. It sounds quite good- but I get some soundstage improvement going straight in.

Apr 15, 2015 at 12:35 AM Post #5,938 of 150,254
I see vinyl for $15 which is actually half the cost of the new, trendy gatefold double LP sets, (which is total BS and seem to sound like schiit these days) up to $50 or more.  Just depends.  

I've practically talked myself into exploring new music simply because they're D2D.  

Apr 15, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #5,939 of 150,254

Mr.EeePee,

I'm totally into exploring music.  The European outfits like LINN and MERIDIAN along with many Northern European outfits record niche stuff thats well worth owning and enjoying. 
I've discovered superb stuff from India and northern Africa sources too.
This Head-fi site is a magnet for Internationals who seem willing to offer recommendations about their local music recordiings which I then buy from Ebay sellers .  

I typically end up paying about $5 + shiping.

The majority of these musics end-up being A and B rating or 4 Star & 5 Star on iTunes rating system

Tony in Michigan

Apr 15, 2015 at 2:08 AM Post #5,940 of 150,254
Mr.EeePee,

I'm totally into exploring music.  The European outfits like LINN and MERIDIAN along with many Northern European outfits record niche stuff thats well worth owning and enjoying. 
I've discovered superb stuff from India and northern Africa sources too.
This Head-fi site is a magnet for Internationals who seem willing to offer recommendations about their local music recordiings which I then buy from Ebay sellers .  

I typically end up paying about $5 + shiping.

The majority of these musics end-up being A and B rating or 4 Star & 5 Star on iTunes rating system

Tony in Michigan

Hi Tony and EePee
I found some of my favorites because they were on 5 channel SACD. Linn has some interesting music. I gave up my turntable many years ago- but I get the appeal!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back