Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 17, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #4,381 of 150,262
  You mean externally powered like an external HD?  Yes, see his blog here on the Fulla. 

I think he is talking about a cable like this

https://www.lacie.com/US/products/product.htm?id=10572

Uses two USB ports, one for power/one for data.

Dec 17, 2014 at 5:10 PM Post #4,382 of 150,262

No, search for "USB Y Cable for External Hard Drive - Dual USB A to Micro B" (Looks like I can't post external link or picture yet...)

Yuck!

Dec 17, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #4,383 of 150,262
I don't think it splits the usb ports for power and data, it simply utilizes the second one to double current capacity.

Dec 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM Post #4,385 of 150,262
  Ok, it adds cost but your little "Made in USA" american flag sticker and 100% Quality Checked sticker will add a 25% bump to Quarterly Sales numbers.  People love these stickers!, even bananas come with stickers.  

Good point.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #4,386 of 150,262

I'm Fulla Schiit! 

Just got my Fulla today!

This thing is tiny. There is NO room on this device for the two USB inputs, one for power, and one for data, so you can put that notion to bed.

In fact, it is too small even for a standard Type A USB jack. Hence, the mini-B jack. The USB A-to-mini B cord is really short; if you want to put this on the back of an iMac or 27" Thunderbolt display, consider getting a longer USB A-to-Mini B cord.

Also, I initially had it resting on top of a spinning hard drive and it was picking up some hum or noise from the spinning HD. Moving it just a few inches away completely eliminated the hum, though, so don't y'all go off half-cocked that Fulla has hum issues. In other words, don't go making a mountain out of a pimple; I know how you guys are sometimes! 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm listening to it right now. It's pretty cool having an actual analog volume pot in this thing. Driving my Senn Momentums like gangbusters with hardly any gain on the pot. 

Some pics to follow tonight if I'm up to it....we shall see. 

Once it burns in, I will be comparing it to AQ Dragonfly v1.2 and the LH Geek Out 450. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #4,387 of 150,262

I'm Fulla Schiit! 

Just got my Fulla today!

This thing is tiny. There is NO room on this device for the two USB inputs, one for power, and one for data, so you can put that notion to bed.

In fact, it is too small even for a standard Type A USB jack. Hence, the mini-B jack. The USB A-to-mini B cord is really short; if you want to put this on the back of an iMac or 27" Thunderbolt display, consider getting a longer USB A-to-Mini B cord.

Also, I initially had it resting on top of a spinning hard drive and it was picking up some hum or noise from the spinning HD. Moving it just a few inches away completely eliminated the hum, though, so don't y'all go off half-cocked that Fulla has hum issues. In other words, don't go making a mountain out of a pimple; I know how you guys are sometimes! 
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

I'm listening to it right now. It's pretty cool having an actual analog volume pot in this thing. Driving my Senn Momentums like gangbusters with hardly any gain on the pot. 

Some pics to follow tonight if I'm up to it....we shall see. 

Once it burns in, I will be comparing it to AQ Dragonfly v1.2 and the LH Geek Out 450. 

The cable I was referring to is 2 in 1 out, as in two plug on computer side, and 1 on the device side, and it can be any type of USB, micro, mini, A, B. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:29 PM Post #4,388 of 150,262

I'm Fulla Schiit! 

Just got my Fulla today!

will be awaiting that compare with GO450.  don't want the price deltas between those two products dictate the outcome, but I'd be surprised if Fulla can deliver the sonics like GO450.

for my setups, GO450 was the better DAC than Modi 1, and Fulla has a DAC chip similar to Modi...so....

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:35 PM Post #4,389 of 150,262

The cable I was referring to is 2 in 1 out, as in two plug on computer side, and 1 on the device side, and it can be any type of USB, micro, mini, A, B. 

Cool beans. If you find one, please send a link along, and I can do a test to see if it makes any difference. 

I'm going search to see if Audioquest makes an USB Audio cable that goes from A to mini-B

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #4,390 of 150,262

will be awaiting that compare with GO450.  don't want the price deltas between those two products dictate the outcome, but I'd be surprised if Fulla can deliver the sonics like GO450.

for my setups, GO450 was the better DAC than Modi 1, and Fulla has a DAC chip similar to Modi...so....

Well, GO450 always runs in full Class A, so you would expect it to potentially sound better. I'm not so sure about it's musicality, though. I think it's a little hard-sounding at times. I bought mine during the original Kickstarter campaign so I could stream native DSD files, of which I have quite a few. The DSD files typically are smoother-sounding than PCM, which is why I also really like my Loki, the trickster god of DSD! 

Also, GO450 doesn't have a way cool ALPS analog volume pot. 

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:44 PM Post #4,391 of 150,262

Cool beans. If you find one, please send a link along, and I can do a test to see if it makes any difference. 

I'm going search to see if Audioquest makes an USB Audio cable that goes from A to mini-B

It won't - because Shiit designed the Fulla to run on power 1 USB supplies. My reason to ask is if they go with 2USB route, they may be able to build a more powerful one.

As for replacement cables, why Audioquest when they are available from http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302 ?

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:46 PM Post #4,393 of 150,262
  It won't - because Shiit designed the Fulla to run on power 1 USB supplies. My reason to ask is if they go with 2USB route, they may be able to build a more powerful one.

They might as well attach a wall-wart to it. They wanted to keep things simple and uncluttered.

Dec 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM Post #4,394 of 150,262

As for replacement cables, why Audioquest when they are available from http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030302 ?

Because Audioquest USB cables sound considerably better than anything else I have compared them to (though I haven't tried the new Shunyata USB cable yet, hmmm). 

And I'm not even goin' there when it comes to a  "it's all bits, cables don't matter discussion", so with all due respect, let us not derail this thread with that. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back