Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 6, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4,141 of 150,654
Folks Please use CrashPlan as a secured cloud backup service!
I have used 2TB (of unlimited) in past 2 years and the product is flawless.

Dec 6, 2014 at 4:19 PM Post #4,142 of 150,654
An aside: There is a tale (maybe true) that the C5 was named from the instruction set of the Z80 microprocessor used in the ZX series of computers. C5 is the hexadecimal code for the instruction "PUSH BC". Push bike, which is a UK term for bicycle.

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #4,143 of 150,654
Folks Please use CrashPlan as a secured cloud backup service!
I have used 2TB (of unlimited) in past 2 years and the product is flawless.

Ditto. That's what I do!

Dec 6, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #4,144 of 150,654
I started reading this thread today (I know, I'm a bit behind).
It's like the newest Ken Follett novel that I just can't put down....

Dec 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM Post #4,145 of 150,654
Holy Schiit, what a story.
Reminds me of the Pope shaking hands with the guy who just tried to kill him.  Live, forgive and let live.

When's the last time you had a production problem you couldn't root-cause and thought "I wonder if the supplier changed something..."  The parts are in spec, of course, or they wouldn't have been shipped and accepted.  Still something isn't quite right.  Happens every day around the world.

Very logical business perspectives in this chapter.
I'm learning a lot by reading this - that can help my own company (not competition!).
Thanks - Jason.

[Mod Edit: Merged three posts. Please use the "Edit" button bottom left if your post is the last in the thread and you wish to add more. Cheers!]

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #4,146 of 150,654
Valiant66 - To lose one disc drive is unfortunate, to lose two disc drives is careless, to lose three disc drives...........

You must have had a lightning strike or a power surge. In which case I would expect at least one to be recoverable by the right people but they charge quite a lot and they didn't get mine back when I had a head crash. But you NEVER get 3 head crashes all at the same time. I only came across 3 in 25 years in IT.

Now for the old 'real Mathematicians use reverse polish' debate. A mate of mine (an electrical engineer) was a great fan of all Sinclair's products and had a bedroom full of kits. He was always trying to persuade me that RP was easier, more intuitive once you got used to it, much better in fact. To put it charitably, I was a little sceptical. (Why did an image of a USB cable just flash past?).

If any of you are Mathematicians then you will already know the correct riposte to this reverse polish nonsense. For those of you who are not Mathematicians the correct riposte is 'no they do not, they use slide rules'.

Dec 6, 2014 at 9:57 PM Post #4,147 of 150,654
I am a satisfied owner of the Asgard2 / Uber Bifrost stack.  It's great equipment.

Now I'm going balanced - with the Gungnir and Mjolnir.  I ordered the Mojo about 15 minutes ago (it's already December2014)
based in part on reading this story.  

I am really happy there are people like Jason who understand this stuff.  I just want my music to sound good - and I think it will with the Mojo.

All the best -
RCB

Dec 6, 2014 at 10:36 PM Post #4,148 of 150,654
Uhoh...looks like there's a Production Glitch with Fulla...wonder what went awry ?

Dec 6, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #4,149 of 150,654
Wonder what it is
confused_face_2.gif
, got an email saying mine already shipped...
blink.gif

Dec 7, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #4,152 of 150,654
I wonder if we are gone get a new chapter called "Troubleshooting shiit fulla bugs and problems"

:bigsmile_face:

Hopefully they will get it fixed and working and learn a lot...

That was sort of covered in the latest chapter.

The part where products launch without any problems.

Seems like this one came and bite them in their rear end, can't luck out on this one! :p

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:10 AM Post #4,153 of 150,654
Darko in the DownUnder ( DAR ), 

just gave the little Fulla a wonderful write up that made perfect sense ! 
 Why do we need our Colonial Brethern to show us how to describe understandable features in terms anyone can relate to ?  
  Brief & Brilliant just like the Fulla !  
  DAR ( Darko Audio Review ) .  

Someone needs to send this man a box of Cuban Cigars & a bottle of Jonny Walker . 

Tony in Michigan

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #4,154 of 150,654
Valiant66 - To lose one disc drive is unfortunate, to lose two disc drives is careless, to lose three disc drives...........

You must have had a lightning strike or a power surge. In which case I would expect at least one to be recoverable by the right people but they charge quite a lot and they didn't get mine back when I had a head crash. But you NEVER get 3 head crashes all at the same time. I only came across 3 in 25 years in IT.

Now for the old 'real Mathematicians use reverse polish' debate. A mate of mine (an electrical engineer) was a great fan of all Sinclair's products and had a bedroom full of kits. He was always trying to persuade me that RP was easier, more intuitive once you got used to it, much better in fact. To put it charitably, I was a little sceptical. (Why did an image of a USB cable just flash past?).

If any of you are Mathematicians then you will already know the correct riposte to this reverse polish nonsense. For those of you who are not Mathematicians the correct riposte is 'no they do not, they use slide rules'.

I've only been in IT for a bit over a decade now, but even if you cut it down to just my enterprise datacenter days, over a 3 year span I probably ran into a dozen and a half 3 disk crashes, especially if the disks came from the same lot. Rebuilds are super hard on disks, and the defects in one disk are likely to show up in other disks from that same lot. Generally one drive would fail, we'd swap in a replace, RAID-6 would start to rebuild, the rebuild would kill a second disk, we'd swap in the second replacement, cross our fingers, and then sigh when 96% of the way through the rebuild the third would die and the array would be lost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back