Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 28, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #3,526 of 150,616
I know this was talked about a while back and I'm risking rezzing an old topic, but I just saw that LH Labs is opening another funding campaign on Indiegogo. They still haven't delivered on several products, and now they want consumers to give more money for non-existant products. I'm so happy I went the Schiit route instead of getting sucked in to that mess.

Please Schiit, NEVER do this to us. Keep it classy. :)

Geek wave anybody? Hahahahaa

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:34 PM Post #3,527 of 150,616
Geek Pulse Xfi
Geek LPS
Geek Wave (Basic version)
Geek Source

blink.gif

Oct 28, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #3,528 of 150,616

Funding R&D for companies is a fool's paradise. If they don't perform or deliver a decent product, you are crap out of luck. Great marketing but still a smoke-n-mirrors deal as far as I am concerned. If I wanted to fund a company I would buy bloody shares in the company! Just my 2c worth.   

Oct 29, 2014 at 12:03 AM Post #3,529 of 150,616
The Geek Wave was my introduction to the world of high resolution music and thus audiophile equipment. I used to look at Kickstarter and IndieGoGo all the time. I'm so, so, so glad I didn't back that project and found Schiit. What turned me off of them completely was that $1,000 USB cable. How goddam ridiculous can you be? There wasn't any way I was going to, or would ever, support a company, especially through crowdfunding, when they're selling the worst kind of snake oil on the side. Also "3D Awesomeifier" is a pretty dumb name for a technology.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:08 AM Post #3,530 of 150,616
The Geek Wave was my introduction to the world of high resolution music and thus audiophile equipment. I used to look at Kickstarter and IndieGoGo all the time. I'm so, so, so glad I didn't back that project and found Schiit. What turned me off of them completely was that $1,000 USB cable. How goddam ridiculous can you be? There wasn't any way I was going to, or would ever, support a company, especially through crowdfunding, when they're selling the worst kind of snake oil on the side. Also "3D Awesomeifier" is a pretty dumb name for a technology.

I rest my case.

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:24 AM Post #3,531 of 150,616
One exception for me personally are videogames in early access, and even then I've only backed a few in my entire life. I also don't back them for the benifits of early access, that's just a bonus.

My list so far:
Arma 3 - worked out well
Logicbots - worked out well
Next car game - incredibly promising, bugbear have delivered before so I have no doubt they can do it.
Kingdom come - guys behind the first mafia game.

So what does it take for you guys to put your money out there? Bonus'? History of success? Low initial cost?

Oct 29, 2014 at 1:27 AM Post #3,532 of 150,616
I just don't like putting money down for something without any idea of how it will perform or when it will be delivered.  It's not a bargain if it's a complete waste of money.

I'm sure Schiit could throw the Wyrd into a cable and charge a grand for it but have to respect their lack of greed and commitment to making accessible high value for money products.

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #3,533 of 150,616
LHLabs reopened it because of more demand. I am a regular on their forums and might pick up one more unit for work.

So far they have been late on delivery but excellent in product (Geek Out), looking forward to my Pulse xfi and LPS4 in November.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:29 AM Post #3,538 of 150,616

Luckily no duty in Aus but cant do much about the postage.

What ??!  Of course there is Custom's Duty in Australia - as soon as you hit $1,000 Australian dollars - BANG !!  You have probably just never imported a high-value item into Australia ... or you have been VERY lucky!

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=australian+duty+import&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:xf_eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&channel=fflb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ysBQVOvULMeN8QeujICoAQ

The Geek Soul will almost certainly be over that threshold.

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:59 AM Post #3,539 of 150,616

The computer industry is still in its early years? Are you being sarcastic?

I would agree with him, particularly on the home consumer end. It was until the 2000s that computer penetration became nearly ubiquitous. I wouldn't say infancy - the consumer computer industry is currently an awkward teenager that doesn't know what it wants to be when it grows up - are the laptops and desktops going to die out to tablets and smartphones?  Will they be relegated solely to workplace environments and enthusiasts? 10 years from now, what will the computers that everyone uses actually be? But I would still count those teenage years as early years.

We're not in a place where things had matured and were revolutionized. The computing industry is revolutionizing itself and evolving on a constant basis.

Revolution and evolution in computing are the norm currently. There is very little chance for anything in this cycle to begin to mature. If you have achieved stability, you are falling behind. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 8:41 AM Post #3,540 of 150,616

-But FORTRAN was already established, probably. (We had cake in the automation department where I work a couple of weeks ago - FORTRAN (FORmula TRANslation; the granddaddy of programming languages) turned 58 (!) years old; it is still being used for a number of things and FORTRAN skills are still sought after, though mostly to maintain older systems, I'll grant you that.)

Just about any industry faces the occasional revolution; diesel ships were new in their day, and nowadays you often find a gas turbine in its place on modern vessels; all within the scope of a few decades.

Communication in general? If you'd told me a couple of decades ago that I would in 2014 be able to buy a wireless terminal providing access to the Internet at speeds of tens of megabits per second, a display simultaneously showing millions of colours at a resolution of 2560*1440 (or whatever the resolution is on my smartphone...), I would hardly be able to imagine it. And here we are, in 2014, and this technology is available to everybody and his dog. There's even a graphical front-end to the Internet, now. And hyperlinks! (Granted, those were around in 1994, too - before anyone corrects me...)

Automobiles? Only about a decade ago, electrical cars were something you only drove if you were a die-hard environmentalist. You had to charge the batteries twice just commuting to work three blocks away, and they all looked like something a kindergarten group had made from cardboard. Today? The look like proper cars, they handle like proper cars (and then some!) and the range is sufficient for just about everybody's needs 99% of the time.

An industry doesn't have to be in its infancy to face (seemingly) constant upheaval. It happens all the time, all over the place. This is a great time to be alive. (I bet the Victorians said pretty much the same thing - and that our grandchildren will do the same!)

I am just now implementing some new features in fortran. It is still widely used especially in the research community. It is still the best and fastest language if you are working with big arrays and computations on them.
That being said computer science is a very young science compared to the other more established sciences =)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back