Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 18, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #3,273 of 150,625
Yes, you would, but as the Loki had already pretty clearly demonstrated, not many other people would.

I would NOT buy the Loki so the Loki doesn't demonstrate much, as far as I'm concerned. If anything, the Loki demonstrated that if you release a DSD-only DAC and limit it to DSD64 only, it's kinda deal breaker. 
smile.gif

Oct 18, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #3,274 of 150,625
I would NOT buy the Loki so the Loki doesn't demonstrate much, as far as I'm concerned. 

But if people aren't even buying Loki to try DSD, it's even less likely they'd buy a higher spec, more expensive version.

Sounds to me like you just really want Schiit to make a cheap DAC just for you and your current unicorn format.

And just to be clear, there's nothing inherently wrong with that, I'm just saying that I really doubt the market is big enough for Schiit to bother doing so.

Edit: or it demonstrates that we're already past peak DSD, which is also what Jason had said.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:02 PM Post #3,275 of 150,625
But if people aren't even buying Loki to try DSD, it's even less likely they'd buy a higher spec, more expensive version.

Sounds to me like you just really want Schiit to make a cheap DAC just for you and your current unicorn format.

Don't think that people would be less likely to buy a higher spec DSD DAC that can actually play all DSD files (64/128/256) and is priced at the same affordable level. That wouldn't be rational.

I just want Schiit to make a cheap DAC that can play DSD up to 11.298MHz so that I can play all DSD files on it, and even upsample 44.1kHz PCM (with software player) to DSD256.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:08 PM Post #3,276 of 150,625
Don't think that people would be less likely to buy a higher spec DSD DAC that can actually play all DSD files (64/128/256) and is priced at the same affordable level. That wouldn't be rational.

But that's just your request, neither you nor I have any idea if it would cost a similar amount or how long it'd take them to develop.

You should probably take their words to heart and just get a different, more buzzword-compliant DAC from a different company if higher-rez DSD is that important to you. As your anecdotal single potential sale doesn't really qualify as a substitute for actual market research.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #3,277 of 150,625
Edit: or it demonstrates that we're already past peak DSD, which is also what Jason had said.

That can't be true because Asahi Kasei has just announced a new DSD256 ADC scheduled for February 2015, new Merging A/D 11.2Mhz converters are increasingly popular among labels, and even Mytek plans to release new DSD256 ADC soon. What these developments suggest to me is that the number of DSD releases should be greater, not lower, in the future. But again, a DSD64 Loki in its current form won't be able able to play this stuff. For that a Loki mkII would be needed, and that's why I suggested it.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #3,278 of 150,625
I'm starting to feel like you haven't read any of Jason's posts on DSD.

Of course some companies are going to make DSD gear including ADCs, but a single new one doesn't say anything about the state of the industry.

And without hard numbers you'll have to pardon me if I take your "increasingly popular" with a large grain of salt.

Still, I'm done here. You obviously won't be happy until I'm convinced DSD is a good idea, and it's not going to happen, so I'm going to go listen to some music instead.

Oct 18, 2014 at 3:38 PM Post #3,279 of 150,625
But that's just your request, neither you nor I have any idea if it would cost a similar amount or how long it'd take them to develop.

Yes, that's just my suggestion, and hope 
smile.gif

As for the cost of developing such dac, it couldn't be much higher because it would basically boil down to replacing the older AKM chip with the newer AK4490EQ that goes up to 11.298MHz DSD.

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #3,281 of 150,625

I'm starting to feel like you haven't read any of Jason's posts on DSD.

Of course some companies are going to make DSD gear including ADCs, but a single new one doesn't say anything about the state of the industry.

I know that Jason is a believer in native PCM, and although personally I'm not as optimistic about the future of native PCM as he is, I don't knock Schiit's idea to make a native PCM DAC. If you can find any albums recorded with native PCM ADCs and want to hear them natively, go for it (if you can afford the Ygdrassil that is
wink.gif
 ) From what I know, such recordings are pretty rare, because all native PCM ADCs have long been discontinued, and I haven't heard any news of new native PCM ADCs coming to market. At the present time, most ADCs are not native PCM but they come with DSD128/256 capability, so I would like to have a DAC with the capability to play such recordings natively. If I had enough money to get the Ygdrassil and the DSD256 Loki mkII, I would likely get both. 

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:41 PM Post #3,282 of 150,625

Yes, that's just my suggestion, and hope 
smile.gif

As for the cost of developing such dac, it couldn't be much higher because it would basically boil down to replacing the older AKM chip with the newer AK4490EQ that goes up to 11.298MHz DSD.

So buy the mk1 Loki and replace the chip yourself. Problem solved!

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #3,283 of 150,625
Hey guys, question about audio setup. 
If I want to use passive speakers and headphones with Schiit stuff (modi/magni and maybe some switch thing?), how would I go about it?
I was also looking at Mav-audio but it was quite confusing for an amateur audio fellow. I like their stuff but its a bit pricy for me.

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM Post #3,284 of 150,625
  Hey guys, question about audio setup. 
If I want to use passive speakers and headphones with Schiit stuff (modi/magni and maybe some switch thing?), how would I go about it?
I was also looking at Mav-audio but it was quite confusing for an amateur audio fellow. I like their stuff but its a bit pricy for me.

Assuming you already have an amp for your speakers:

Source > Modi > Y Splitter > Magni > Headphones
                                    > Speaker Amp > Speakers

Turn on the Magni for headphones, speaker amp for speakers, or both / neither for extra or lack of sound.

Oct 18, 2014 at 4:56 PM Post #3,285 of 150,625

I know that Jason is a believer in native PCM, and although personally I'm not as optimistic about the future of native PCM as he is, I don't knock Schiit's idea to make a native PCM DAC. If you can find any albums recorded with native PCM ADCs and want to hear them natively, go for it (if you can afford the Ygdrassil that is
wink.gif
 ) From what I know, such recordings are pretty rare, because all native PCM ADCs have long been discontinued, and I haven't heard any news of new native PCM ADCs coming to market. At the present time, most ADCs are not native PCM but they come with DSD128/256 capability, so I would like to have a DAC with the capability to play such recordings natively. If I had enough money to get the Ygdrassil and the DSD256 Loki mkII, I would likely get both. 

Seriously, you need to back these statements up with some links or something. All PCM ADCs are discontinued and no new ones are coming to market? Source please. Or maybe you're using some other definition of "native" PCM (not delta sigma?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back