Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM Post #2,326 of 150,791
  I just came in to suggest that Schiit bring out a music server this year lol. I'd say there's a market for one-especially in the sub-$800 range, and considering Squeezebox is no more. I'm not sure if this is up their alley per se, but it would sure help round out the Schiit portfolio imo. Of course-they'd have to put an LCD screen on it. ;P

-Daniel

A server hosting media for other devices, or rather a network player streaming content from a computer, NAS, SD card, e-Music Service, etc?

A media player would be cool, a lot of work though. Would be able to get away from using the computer for a media player. However storage is still an issue.

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:38 AM Post #2,327 of 150,791
More of a network player like the SBT was what I was thinking. Of course an sd storage slot would be great. Keep in mind this is Schiit we're talking about, so the bells and whistles would be kept minimal.

This may just be a pipe dream knowing Schiit so far, but then again Jason alluded to big things in the future, and not being complacent. I'm just thinking that something like an SBT could fit well with their product line, that's all. Here's to hoping.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #2,329 of 150,791
Yggdrasil: The back back-saga

It is spring 1976. I was back from Peru working for Texas Instruments wondering what I was going to do when I grew up. I sank hopelessly back into my audio habit, a mental neighborhood I hadn't visited since before Vietnam. My best audio buddies are Mike, John, and Paul. Mike runs a janitorial business, John and Paul are mechanical geeks – they specialize in making engines for model airplanes that weigh twenty pounds or so that were still legal to fly back then. When they crashed they killed people and occasionally started forest fires. We just finished Bruno Walter's Beethoven 9th on my Quad 1956 ESLs, homebrew/modified Dyna all tube pre/poweramps, and Sony TTS-3000 Rabco arm with Decca 4RC cartridge tracking at 4 grams. I am in a goose-stepping, exited about audio mood.

John looks at me and says “Let's start a company building audio electronics – you know how to make it sound incredible. It just looks like s**t and I can help you there.” Just then Paul raised a leg and anally sang a 30 second ten note atonal melody. Despite my audio reverie, I instantly sensed why he had no girlfriend. Mike, who actually had a modicum of sensibility offered “At least you'll be able to hang out with civilized people” before we adjourned to the garage to escape the stench. Thus was conceived Theta Electronics. (Not Theta Digital - that was almost 10 years later.)

I was terrified. I had a wife and step-daughter to support. I thought about what Mike said about hanging with the civilized. I was still naive; I didn't realize that audio geeks were little different from mechanical geeks and I was therefore condemned. What the hell, I'll take the plunge but what will I build? At that pre-digital time sources were predominantly turntables – the best reputation was won by the builder of the best electronics designed for turntables. So the first product was a preamp which, unlike power amps, was a product suitable for all systems, regardless of speaker.

At the time, solid state gear had almost universally replaced older vacuum tube based hi-fi systems. (hi-fi = high fidelity = legacy speak for good sounding audio gear). This was just about the moment that most audiophiles were beginning to realize that they had been conned. Early germanium based transistor gear made deafening noise like stuck toilets. Low bandwidth solid state power devices sounded grainy and strained when they weren't setting fire to your speaker or stinking up the house. To quote the Japanese, the soul of the music had been destroyed with solid state. The biggest market for the better used tube equipment was, indeed, Japan. That bid up the price of used tube gear, and there was little to no new tube gear available.

Almost all tube preamps used a variation of the same-o, same-o, 2 section 12AX7 active feedback eq circuit. 12AX7 tubes were designed for table radios and those sh**ty phonographs like schools used to use in the 60's-80's because they were cheap. (The only cool thing about older schools were the mimeograph machines which made copies that all of the future audiophiles and drug addicts used to sniff.) Not only were the 12AX7s cheap, but they were also designed with high gain so you don't have to use so many of them. They have terrible curves (read distortion), require lots of feedback to partially correct, and are noisy to boot. I hadn't and wouldn't use these in any of my beloved gear!

So there was this tube called a 6DJ8 - It turned out that the intellectual badasses at Tektronix and Hewlett Packard used a lot of them in their oscilloscope amplifiers. They also had good curves, low distortion, and are 12db quieter than 12AX7s. I also lost the active eq, switching to passive, which allowed my Theta Preamp to be the first 6DJ8, passive equalization, NO feedback design.

Before I was done with this company, I designed the first hi-fi hardware app for a 6BZ7 (in a power amp), and the first WE417A tube design in a head-amp (Moving coil pre-pre amp) which was, indeed, the first tube head amp. Why did I do these designs?? Because they sounded better!

Now did I get rich doing this? Nope. Did I go bankrupt? Nope. Did I learn? You bet. I also picked up two characteristics, neither of which I realized at the time. The first was an addiction to build audio stuff. The second was a reputation amongst audiophiles for building against-the-grain, maverick audio equipment, even if it appeared to be traditional in nature. There were many other valuable experiences – I met Dave (Yes! The Dave that I still work with today that Jason mentions in his writing). I learned how to do tradeshows with hangovers and too little sleep 5 out of the 4 nights. I learned that a huge percentage of the high end audio exhibitors were playing to their competitors and their dealers rather than their customers. Most tellingly, I learned that a loaded dealer was a loyal dealer, which often did not bode well for their customers.

Be all that as it may, I told myself I was done with audio – another grand adventure awaited me in Japan. So off I went. The trouble was that wherever I went, my audio junkie self was there as well. So I very excitedly bought the first available compact disk player – a full year before they were available in the US!! It was a cool looking thing that played the disk vertically behind a plexiglass door. The first CDs were Japanese pop songs – not exactly my style, but WTH I cued it up and listened. Just then a painful edge distracted me from the music. I wondered if one of those old-fashioned supersonic burglar alarms was in the vicinity. Slowly, it dawned on me that this system really did sound like bats with clothespins on their testicles. The digital audio event horizon deflated with a flatulent roar.  Wow, it was as if I just found out that there was no tooth fairy, no more twinkies, and no more LPs or vinyl available because Warren Buffet or whoever cornered the market all at the same time.

Stubbornly I took this player home with me and took it apart in an attempt to discover why it was so excruciatingly bad. Little did I know that this would begin the Yggdrasil back-saga, which will be continued soon.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 23, 2014 at 4:36 AM Post #2,330 of 150,791

It is spring 1976. I was back from Peru working for Texas Instruments wondering what I was going to do when I grew up. I sank hopelessly back into my audio habit, a mental neighborhood I hadn't visited since before Vietnam. My best audio buddies are Mike, John, and Paul. Mike runs a janitorial business, John and Paul are mechanical geeks – they specialize in making engines for model airplanes that weigh twenty pounds or so that were still legal to fly back then. When they crashed they killed people and occasionally started forest fires. We just finished Bruno Walter's Beethoven 9th on my Quad 1956 ESLs, homebrew/modified Dyna all tube pre/poweramps, and Sony TTS-3000 Rabco arm with Decca 4RC cartridge tracking at 4 grams. I am in a goose-stepping, exited about audio mood.

John looks at me and says “Let's start a company building audio electronics – you know how to make it sound incredible. It just looks like s**t and I can help you there.” Just then Paul raised a leg and anally sang a 30 second ten note atonal melody. Despite my audio reverie, I instantly sensed why he had no girlfriend. Mike, who actually had a modicum of sensibility offered “At least you'll be able to hang out with civilized people” before we adjourned to the garage to escape the stench. Thus was conceived Theta Electronics. (Not Theta Digital - that was almost 10 years later.)

I was terrified. I had a wife and step-daughter to support. I thought about what Mike said about hanging with the civilized. I was still naive; I didn't realize that audio geeks were little different from mechanical geeks and I was therefore condemned. What the hell, I'll take the plunge but what will I build? At that pre-digital time sources were predominantly turntables – the best reputation was won by the builder of the best electronics designed for turntables. So the first product was a preamp which, unlike power amps, was a product suitable for all systems, regardless of speaker.

At the time, solid state gear had almost universally replaced older vacuum tube based hi-fi systems. (hi-fi = high fidelity = legacy speak for good sounding audio gear). This was just about the moment that most audiophiles were beginning to realize that they had been conned. Early germanium based transistor gear made deafening noise like stuck toilets. Low bandwidth solid state power devices sounded grainy and strained when they weren't setting fire to your speaker or stinking up the house. To quote the Japanese, the soul of the music had been destroyed with solid state. The biggest market for the better used tube equipment was, indeed, Japan. That bid up the price of used tube gear, and there was little to no new tube gear available.

Almost all tube preamps used a variation of the same-o, same-o, 2 section 12AX7 active feedback eq circuit. 12AX7 tubes were designed for table radios and those sh**ty phonographs like schools used to use in the 60's-80's because they were cheap. (The only cool thing about older schools were the mimeograph machines which made copies that all of the future audiophiles and drug addicts used to sniff.) Not only were the 12AX7s cheap, but they were also designed with high gain so you don't have to use so many of them. They have terrible curves (read distortion), require lots of feedback to partially correct, and are noisy to boot. I hadn't and wouldn't use these in any of my beloved gear!

So there was this tube called a 6DJ8 - It turned out that the intellectual badasses at Tektronix and Hewlett Packard used a lot of them in their oscilloscope amplifiers. They also had good curves, low distortion, and are 12db quieter than 12AX7s. I also lost the active eq, switching to passive, which allowed my Theta Preamp to be the first 6DJ8, passive equalization, NO feedback design.

Before I was done with this company, I designed the first hi-fi hardware app for a 6BZ7 (in a power amp), and the first WE417A tube design in a head-amp (Moving coil pre-pre amp) which was, indeed, the first tube head amp. Why did I do these designs?? Because they sounded better!

Now did I get rich doing this? Nope. Did I go bankrupt? Nope. Did I learn? You bet. I also picked up two characteristics, neither of which I realized at the time. The first was an addiction to build audio stuff. The second was a reputation amongst audiophiles for building against-the-grain, maverick audio equipment, even if it appeared to be traditional in nature. There were many other valuable experiences – I met Dave (Yes! The Dave that I still work with today that Jason mentions in his writing). I learned how to do tradeshows with hangovers and too little sleep 5 out of the 4 nights. I learned that a huge percentage of the high end audio exhibitors were playing to their competitors and their dealers rather than their customers. Most tellingly, I learned that a loaded dealer was a loyal dealer, which often did not bode well for their customers.

Be all that as it may, I told myself I was done with audio – another grand adventure awaited me in Japan. So off I went. The trouble was that wherever I went, my audio junkie self was there as well. So I very excitedly bought the first available compact disk player – a full year before they were available in the US!! It was a cool looking thing that played the disk vertically behind a plexiglass door. The first CDs were Japanese pop songs – not exactly my style, but WTH I cued it up and listened. Just then a painful edge distracted me from the music. I wondered if one of those old-fashioned supersonic burglar alarms was in the vicinity. Slowly, it dawned on me that this system really did sound like bats with clothespins on their testicles. The digital audio event horizon deflated with a flatulent roar.  Wow, it was as if I just found out that there was no tooth fairy, no more twinkies, and no more LPs or vinyl available because Warren Buffet or whoever cornered the market all at the same time.

Stubbornly I took this player home with me and took it apart in an attempt to discover why it was so excruciatingly bad. Little did I know that this would begin the Yggdrasil back-saga, which will be continued soon.

I'm really diggin' this account and your look back!
popcorn.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:05 AM Post #2,332 of 150,791
I didn't laugh ... I really SHOULDN'T have laughed ... not so loud ... I live in a flat. **** that - let the neighbours awaken ...

"this system really did sound like bats with clothespins on their testicles"

Start co-writing with Jason - what a brilliant simile!  I even put clothespins on my testicles to get an idea of what it sounded like ... my falsetto immediately went in to a harsh hash.  I actually had to plug a 300b into my rectum to smooth things out a little and restore equillibium ... and that made my pet gerbil VERY jealous ... (what can I say - she's quite possessive ...).

Aug 23, 2014 at 6:38 AM Post #2,333 of 150,791
Hello Mike:
Now it's your turn and I am excited to hear all about the Yggdrassil. I've always looked at your DACs and Amps as a synergistic pair.
BTW, both of your writing styles are simultaneously funny and informative.

Thanks and regards

Aug 23, 2014 at 8:27 AM Post #2,334 of 150,791
  I just came in to suggest that Schiit bring out a music server this year lol. I'd say there's a market for one-especially in the sub-$800 range, and considering Squeezebox is no more. I'm not sure if this is up their alley per se, but it would sure help round out the Schiit portfolio imo. Of course-they'd have to put an LCD screen on it. ;P

-Daniel

This still strikes me as a stretch based on everything Jason's said about "software & support aren't what we want to do" thus far.

Aug 23, 2014 at 10:30 AM Post #2,335 of 150,791
I hope Schiit stays away from the music server/player business.  It is quickly becoming a crowded segment.  Instead have Mike create a high performance low cost ECC88 pre / KT66 power integrated amp.  With a USB input, just because he needs a challenge.  :wink:

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM Post #2,338 of 150,791
If the likelihood of a tube version of the Mjolnir is very low, I'd love to see Schiit come out with a balanced tube buffer that could slot in between the Gungnir and Mjolnir. Just to give those with the stack a little bit of flavoring if/when they'd like it. Could be a nice value-add to an already awesome stack. Doing a basic Google search shows absolutely zero options under $1000 in the balanced realm. Everything out there seems to be in the $3K+ category. And with Schiit's approach, it would more than likely be a very minimalist design. Maybe even in a matching Mjolnir/Gungnir chassis? Certainly would be pretty sweet 
tongue.gif

Aug 23, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #2,340 of 150,791
I didn't laugh ... I really SHOULDN'T have laughed ... not so loud ... I live in a flat. **** that - let the neighbours awaken ...

"this system really did sound like bats with clothespins on their testicles"

Start co-writing with Jason - what a brilliant simile!  I even put clothespins on my testicles to get an idea of what it sounded like ... my falsetto immediately went in to a harsh hash.  I actually had to plug a 300b into my rectum to smooth things out a little and restore equillibium ... and that made my pet gerbil VERY jealous ... (what can I say - she's quite possessive ...).

Ninja,

Wow, I stand in awe of your unique sense of humor and "different" perspective! Where have you been lately, I was a bit worried that Interpol had finally caught up with you :cop:!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back