Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 23, 2014 at 5:02 PM Post #1,816 of 150,836
1st off, the transition when we loose our parents is unique in that we now become the leading edge of our family. It can take time for some to come to terms with this new level of personhood.
Live and learn the challenges that life hands us.  There be treasures aplenty there.

2nd  Jason's last post is full of quotable quotes and I simply can't NOT use them elsewhere in my scribblings.  I will proudly attribute authorship to Jason Stoddard the maker of really great Schiit.

So many truisms and aptly described insights into our all to commonly held human afflictions and compulsions.

Again it's always a joy to read well expounded thoughts, especially ones that are so aptly focused and delineated.  It helps us all to know what is really of value, and what is but mere fluff.

And lastly your posts further cement, at least in my mind, the notion that ethics are a key aspect to any endeavor and those who abide by high ethical standards are quite easy to spot, amidst a sea of mediocrity.

JJ
ps "If you’re just parroting marketing blather or some “consensus” opinion you derived from reading two posts, well…"   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahhahaha   choke, sputter, chortle…  
atsmile.gif

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #1,817 of 150,836
  ps "If you’re just parroting marketing blather or some “consensus” opinion you derived from reading two posts, well…"   HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahhahaha   choke, sputter, chortle…  
atsmile.gif

I like to call that "Google knowledge."  There are lots of Google experts out on the interwebz: people who love to pose as knowledgeable but can only do so because they are fast with their search engines.  These folks are different from the audiophooles who "know something is true" because some other "expert" told them so.  Google experts really think they *know* things.  Tiresome does not begin to cover it...

Jul 23, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,818 of 150,836

I like to call that "Google knowledge."  There are lots of Google experts out on the interwebz: people who love to pose as knowledgeable but can only do so because they are fast with their search engines.  These folks are different from the audiophooles who "know something is true" because some other "expert" told them so.  Google experts really think they *know* things.  Tiresome does not begin to cover it...

It's interesting that you bring this up…
I recently ran across this quote from The Buddha…

“Rely not on the teacher/person, but on the teaching.
Rely not on the words of the teaching, but on the spirit of the words.
Rely not on theory, but on experience.
Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it.
Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations.
Do not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many.
Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books.
Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.
But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it.”                    — The Buddha

JJ

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:26 PM Post #1,819 of 150,836
And today, it’s a hundred times worse. People argue over $20K+ DACs. Reviews of $40K preamps are common. There are dozens of speaker models with retail prices over $100K. I was told that a “moderate price” system was $250-500K at a recent show, by a guy who said it with no trace of irony in his voice.

Let’s be clear. This is insanity.

Amen to that. Walking around most audio shows these days is to see an endless parade of stuff that I cannot possibly afford - ever. In many cases you see individual components costing as much as a Porsche, and I'd take the Porsche any day over a piece of audio gear. I get much more impressed by manufacturers that are able to deliver good (and oftentimes excellent) performance at a reasonable price. I would include Schiit in that category, along with audioengine and Peachtree, so thanks for all your good work - keep it up!

Jul 23, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #1,820 of 150,836
Of the Schiit coming down the pipe that we know about I'm most interested in Mani, by a wide margin. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get my hands on a Raggy and Yggy someday; but my bank account can't handle the projected prices. Now a reasonably priced MM/MC phono preamp in a Magni shell that I can use to get in to vinyl, along with a say U-Turn Orbit, that's fantastic.

A very high pleasure to price ratio.

Keep the little Schiits coming!

Jul 23, 2014 at 11:19 PM Post #1,821 of 150,836
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 24, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #1,823 of 150,836
Keep the little Schiits coming!

DAMN straight on that!

I'm wracking my brain thinking about what you guys have up your sleeves next. I think we're overdue for a some sort of portable solution, a la the Geek Out, Resonessence Herus, Dragonfly, iFi iDSD, Fiio E10K... would really like to see what Schiit can offer on that front.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:51 AM Post #1,824 of 150,836
Amen!

I work as a Linux engineer and in this field there are many people without perspective. Engineers that know much more than me and are probably much smarter but when it comes down to getting things done they are less efficient because they have totally lost perspective. Does it matter if I use this or that scripting language? Not really. Does it matter if I use this or that distribution? Nope. As long as the system is stable and the users don't complain...no one cares. Really.

I've read many headgear reviews and I've been wondering why the reviewers write so little about the music they used for the review. After all, it's the music that matters, right? Shouldn't we be exchanging more recommendations which album/genre/artist sound great with this and that setup? Instead we spend time discussing about the quality of the rubber feet of a certain amp and the color of the LED...

Before I got into head-fi I was thinking about getting a set of speakers. I asked an audiophile coworker for recommendations, budget 5000$. The answer was "you can't get anything decent for that price"...

Thank you for another great post.

Jul 24, 2014 at 7:36 AM Post #1,825 of 150,836
Jason,
I'm deeply sorry to read about you loss of your father.  I lost my dad far too young many years ago, and yet some days something happens, and I think, "My old man would have just loved that!" and for a little while it still hurts like hell, until I remind myself that I loved him greatly, and that that pain reminds me that I still do love him - and actually, that is a good thing to still be reminded of.

On the subject of music and audio systems, a few work colleagues of mine discuss this topic occasionally - and it seems that there are some folks who seem to spend more time listening to their audio equipment than they do listening to the music they play through it - the system becomes the object of their attention and interest and not the enjoyment of the music itself.  Neither is right or wrong (and I'm guessing we're all a bit guilty of listening to our audio systems, otherwise we wouldn't be here - right?), but I know which camp I tend to gravitate towards.  Let the music play! :)

Jul 24, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #1,826 of 150,836
 Who knows? Who cares? It sounds good. I like it.  
And that’s what matters.

Amen.

I love a good, thoughtful debate.  Unfortunately, that seems to be a lost art, as most discussions devolve quickly into name-calling and personal attacks, no matter what the topic is (don't get me started on the current political divide in this country and that it is ok to openly berate and ridicule someone due to their opinion).  It seems to have found its way into all parts of our lives, even something we are supposed to be enjoying - such as head-fi and listening to music.

Thanks for the excellent thoughts on perspective and life, Jason.

Keep up the good work, and I will keep enjoying listening to my music in whatever format sounds good to me on my Schiit. 
L3000.gif

Jul 24, 2014 at 3:48 PM Post #1,827 of 150,836

Business Perspective, and Avoiding Devolution into an Algorithmic Robot

Then they encounter their first insane customer. Yes, they exist. And I’m not talking about insane in terms of “they didn’t like the product, and returned it,” I’m talking insane in terms of “they scammed you,” or “belligerently tried to take down your business,” or something of the sort. And they are out there.

That encounter chips away at that love. That soul.

Then they get another. Then they get yelled at for something beyond their control. Then they get dismissed as a hack or incompetent. And every one of those encounters wears away a little more of that love and soul.

Algorithmic takeover. Once it’s been codified, it’s time for the professional managers to move in. These are the number-crunchers, the beancounters, the benchmarkers. They’ll bring in data about how you’re doing relative to other companies in your industry, so you can “improve” your processes. What this usually results in, unfortunately, is usually the same-to-the-penny offerings and beyond-abysmal level of customer service. Because nobody else is doing any better. And it’s very easy to look at a CEO dashboard that says, “Hey, we have a 39% higher customer satisfaction rating than our competition,” without revealing that your competition’s customer satisfaction is at 9%. At this point, congratulations. You’re not a person anymore. You’re a robot, moved only by algorithms. If you’re lucky enough, you may be able to move fast enough to survive.

So, how do you avoid this fate?

First, by recognizing why you started your business: your love of music, or cars, or code, or whatever—and never forgetting it. If it works to put a banner up on your wall that you see every day as a reminder, do it. Otherwise, make sure you have enough time to sit back and remember.

Second, by defining a philosophy. Your philosophy should be a natural outgrowth of what you love about your business. It will help keep you on track. Need another banner? Add it to the wall.

Third, by active reflection. Remember the great customers, the wonderful accolades, the moment you first held (or heard) a new product. Take time for yourself. Don’t pack your schedule so full that you don’t have time to sit back and put your feet up. Because your business has many wonderful times. Don’t forget them in the rush to do “What’s next!”

Or, as I’ve said before: stay small, stay human.

Personal Perspective, and Avoiding Mutation into an Inflexible Ass

This is a common personal dilemma. Someone buys an expensive product, and is told by someone that it “really isn’t that good,” which then turns into a shouting match about minutiae that no sane person really cares about. Or they buy into an ideology that must be The One Right And True Way, and begin inculcating everyone around them into that Way.

Add instant, anonymous communication into the mix, and boom! You have a recipe for transforming an otherwise sane and rational person into a didactic, inflexible ass. Now, this doesn’t happen all the time, but sometimes I wonder if the ability to disagree congenially is on life support.

And yes, I understand that this inflexibility can be an expression of personal philosophy, or love of an object or idea. That’s cool.

But…ask yourself one question before you hit the keyboard: does it matter?

Most of the time, the answer will be “no.”

Yes, I know, when you love something, or believe in something, it’s easy to take any negative comment as a personal attack. And that might get you going to the point where you want to “educate” the attacker.

But will you convert them? No.

Some people love French wine. Some people like California wine better. Neither is going to convince the other with words. Some people love Corvettes, and some people love Porsches. Same deal. Some people love Schiit, and some people love other products. Same.

DSD vs PCM? Same.

Rock vs classical? Same.

Objectivist vs subjectivist? Same.

You know what, if you love it, then that’s fine. It doesn’t matter what other people think. And if you think you’re going to convert them by pounding a keyboard on an online forum, or writing a book, or yelling at them in person, you’re profoundly overconfident. Or a much better writer or speaker than I am.

(And, here’s the thing: the other guy might have a point. Try something new. You might surprise yourself.)

So, it’s simple. Ask yourself: Does it matter?

And, if you want to get a little introspective, ask yourself: What do I really know? If you’re just parroting marketing blather or some “consensus” opinion you derived from reading two posts, well…you may not know as much as you think.

And, if you’re interested in broadening your horizons, remind yourself: Maybe I should try some new things.

So much of this is so good.

- Devolution into a robot: The "insane customer" thing - I've seen it.  In fact in some forums I've actively tried to take on these folks to defend a developer, for example, who single-handedly codes a particular piece of software I enjoy.  Because  the second that developer loses the love, there goes my favorite software.  I remember a guy repeatedly threatening to sue a developer of music player software because he didn't think the software's Help covered certain non-vital sound optimization settings thoroughly enough.  Of course as soon as he posted, a bunch of folks told him where to find the settings and how to adjust them, but he still blathered on about bringing suit for a while before fading away.  Whatever happened to using those first couple of posts to just politely ask how to find what you're looking for?

- Algorithmic takeover: Anyone who's worked for a huge company knows all about this.  It's all about metrics.  Personal impressions are no good, 'cause they don't translate well to PowerPoints, and when the execs start asking questions you won't have the answers in a neat spreadsheet.  There are lies, damned lies, statistics, and in a special circle of Hell, PowerPoints backed up by spreadsheets.

- How to avoid: Maybe it's just a personal quirk, but banners have never done it for me.  I've seen too many Huns with photos of the kids and bright, passionate sayings plastered around their cubes/offices.  Then there is Banners To The Power of A Gazillion, the "corporate vision" thing.  Corporate visions are wonderful stuff, high in fiber, just add true belief.  I like the "take time to remember and reflect" suggestion much better.  And maybe "Start up a project just 'cause the idea puts a big goofy smile on your face" would be another.  (The opposite of this is to do something you don't really believe in, which is when you get rows of Lokis sitting on a shelf and God in the guise of a busted sprinkler head pees on them.)

- Will you convert them?  Exactly right, no.  Or as my late mother once said in her inimitable way, "Jud, people don't change.  They just get more like themselves."

- And maybe - no, definitely - my very favorite part: What do I really know?  I love nothing better than learning something new.  Best way not to do that is to stonewall someone who actually knows.  Sometimes I'm lucky and get to the right answer before "knowing" the wrong one.  But often enough it's the reverse.  I always try to thank folks who correct me.  They're doing me a great favor.

Thanks, Jason.  Wonderful stuff.

Jul 24, 2014 at 4:55 PM Post #1,828 of 150,836
I now avoid discussions on politics and religion like the plague for just that reason.  It's analogous to having two transmitters and no receiver.  People just get all bowed up arguing their position, and spend the whole time while you're talking just thinking about what they're going to say next.  The time for formulating or revising their attitude has already long past, most likely while still sitting at the knees of their parents.

Jul 25, 2014 at 2:53 AM Post #1,830 of 150,836
We have purposefully kept our staff to a minimum and have only hired when we absolutely had to in order to keep up with growth.  Every person who works for Schiit either Jason, Mike, or I have known between 10 and 40 years.  We work with our close friends and family.  This week I have done something that we have really dreaded.  I started sorting applications so we could hire our first outside of the friends and family employee.  We have a large pool of applicants (application period is already closed, so please don't ask) and there are some really interesting people that will make good additions to the company.  Experience and education are important, but how that person fits in to the company is just as important. 

We want really smart people who we can trust to constantly evaluate what we are doing and come up with good ideas on how to improve the company.  At the same time, we also have to guard against acquiring bloated corporate or bureaucratic thinking.  I've had enough of that already and Jason and Mike have little tolerance for that.  What was probably hardest when going through the applications was passing over people who listed their first qualification as "managed a warehouse staff of 100 people," or "supervised a multidisciplinary team of professionals."  I'm not looking for that guy.  I'm looking for the person who did all of the hard work and made that manager look good.

They also have to be willing to work for a company called Schiit.  As a product name, Schiit has some real advantages.  It is unforgettable, irreverent, and does a really great job at weeding out people we probably don't want to talk with anyway.  It is a little more difficult when your name is Schiit and you need to get your garbage picked up or establish phone service.  I've been hung up on more than a few times.  The best part is when you are talking on the phone to a very formal and professional corporation like FedEx or AT&T and they need to verify the name of your company.  You can almost hear the sweat dripping down their face as they try to say the company name knowing that "this call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes."

When you work for Schiit you need to have a certain attitude.  We are dead serious about our products and not so serious about everything else.  We have a good time.  We joke. We tell stories.  We even play the occasional prank on each other.

For me, hiring an outsider is a bigger transition than moving from the garage to the Schiit Hole or from the Schiit Hole to the Schiit Box.  How do we keep the Schiit culture alive as we bring in more people and by necessity start giving our original employees supervisory responsibilities?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back