Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 5, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #1,231 of 150,772
Congrats! My fiancee wants to hop on the baby train in five years, so luckily I still have some time to be irresponsible with my spending habits.
biggrin.gif

So what's your next move? Wallet be damned.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:42 PM Post #1,232 of 150,772
I have less than 3 weeks until our baby arrives. I think I'm all set for audio stuff for a while. Very happy with my Schiit and no reason to upgrade at this time.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #1,233 of 150,772
I've been thinking about opting for Fostex TH900 and HP-A8C combo, and selling most of my current stuff away. Probably won't happen this year, unless I get a good deal.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #1,235 of 150,772
I've been thinking about opting for Fostex TH900 and HP-A8C combo, and selling most of my current stuff away. Probably won't happen this year, unless I get a good deal.

You gonna sell this to your sister, like the Momentum On Ears? Bad boy 
wink_face.gif

Jun 6, 2014 at 12:13 AM Post #1,236 of 150,772
Probably not. I know a guy in my university who has HD 598's, so I could ask him if he wants to upgrade his gear. :D

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,238 of 150,772
Great thread. I look forward to these posts every week. One question, however:

I own a Bifrost (uber/usb 2) and Lyr, attached to my (modern stand-alone) PC sound card.

My PC supports optical, coaxial, and USB.

Is there any reason to use one over another when all three are available? If so, which? 

Thank you!

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #1,239 of 150,772
  I own a Bifrost (uber/usb 2) and Lyr, attached to my (modern stand-alone) PC sound card.

With Bifrost, USB is the best choice, since it gives it (DAC) the best level of control over the data stream (and most bandwidth for higher bitrates).
Use optical only in case of ground loop (hum) issues. Coaxial is good for longer distances.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:38 AM Post #1,240 of 150,772

With Bifrost, USB is the best choice, since it gives it (DAC) the best level of control over the data stream (and most bandwidth for higher bitrates).
Use optical only in case of ground loop (hum) issues. Coaxial is good for longer distances.

Thanks for the info!

Switching between the three, I don't hear any sound quality difference with HE-500s. I listen to FLAC mostly. I'll switch to USB and leave it alone.

Jun 6, 2014 at 9:39 AM Post #1,241 of 150,772
  Switching between the three, I don't hear any sound quality difference with HE-500s. I listen to FLAC mostly. I'll switch to USB and leave it alone.

Yes, the quality differences are all moot. It's more about features/convenience.

Jun 6, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #1,243 of 150,772
  The LVDS I2S PSA standard is via HDMI pin-outs.  It's not just a matter of connector choice.  And there are quality HDMI cables available.  Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio (Off-Ramp 5 DDC) has said that the I2S cable impedance harmonic nodes are at 0.5 and 1.5 m.  I'm currently using a 0.5 m Wireworld Pt Starlight 6 HDMI cable in this application that appears to be the final word in expansive stage and air.    

And what exactly is an "impedance harmonic node"? I must have skipped that lecture 
rolleyes.gif

Well done, Townes Van Zandt is an iconic Texas Folk Singer/Songwriter, love him! Check out Ryan Adams (solo, with the Cardinals or Whiskeytown), William Clark Green and Jason Isbell, I think you will like them. The PSB's are a bit Beats in appearance but it is the best sounding headphone I have heard directly out of my IPhone (I don't care for IEM's, prefer extra-cranial to intra-cranial soundstage).

Best on the birth of your Baby! Cheers!

And here's Jason singing Townes. It's been a long time since a piece of brought me to tears, but his Pancho and Lefty did. Gillian Welch (and partner David Rawlings) and Jeffrey Foucault are other favourites of mine in that musical vein. But that's veering a little off topic!

Jun 6, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #1,244 of 150,772

And what exactly is an "impedance harmonic node"? I must have skipped that lecture 
rolleyes.gif

Harmonic Impedance Node is a place about a half mile from Synergistic Junction, down near where the Veil bridge lifts itself over the PRAT river.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back