Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 5, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,216 of 150,704
The LVDS I2S PSA standard is via HDMI pin-outs.  It's not just a matter of connector choice.  And there are quality HDMI cables available.  Steve Nugent of Empirical Audio (Off-Ramp 5 DDC) has said that the I2S cable impedance harmonic nodes are at 0.5 and 1.5 m.  I'm currently using a 0.5 m Wireworld Pt Starlight 6 HDMI cable in this application that appears to be the final word in expansive stage and air.    

Jun 5, 2014 at 1:59 PM Post #1,217 of 150,704

Yeah. Stuff like this happens all the time in engineering. The real world isn’t the same as simulations. 

The more people realize this, the better. This applies to everything from climate models to pilot plant data to mutli-million dollar industrial simulators. You can get pretty close sometimes, but when you validate the model against historical data, there is always going to be something that doesn't fit, and sometimes most of it doesn't fit. That doesn't mean that the engineering was bad, it just means there are more things at play than someone realized *ahem climate models ahem*.

Philosophy is key. Whys are important. But by sticking to them, you won’t please everyone all the time.

Working for a multi-billion dollar corporation makes this very apparent. Millions are wasted just because a group of jackasses agreed on a "vision" or some ridiculous goal they set for themselves. They don't care if what they're doing goes against all logic and reason for doing what we're doing. They just want a new shiny toy and they figure out how to get their way, whatever the cost. It is a dangerous game that stifles creativity and makes genius people shut up and get pidgeon-holed into making crappy products that they don't like working on. Someone at the top has to tell them what the real philosophy of the company is and why we can't do some project just because a bunch of yes-men agreed to it out of ego, fear, and/or hubris.

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #1,220 of 150,704
this is some serious Schiit I discover here! I am definitely going to find time to read it, probably listening to some good music. No Schiit yet, probably Fiio, but who knows?

I still consider myself a Newbie to HeadFi, though not to Audiophilia and my journey began with HD650's and Fiio E17/E09K, and currently Valhalla/Modi, soon to be Lyr2/Bitfrost. I guess Fiio is a gateway drug :flushed:! Now when are those 560's going to hit the market?

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM Post #1,221 of 150,704
I still consider myself a Newbie to HeadFi, though not to Audiophilia and my journey began with HD650's and Fiio E17/E09K, and currently Valhalla/Modi, soon to be Lyr2/Bitfrost. I guess Fiio is a gateway drug :flushed:! Now when are those 560's going to hit the market?

Hey, I am still using my old Cowon D2+ as the main source on the go! And MBPr at home with Vox (free). My best phones are AKG K550 and Shure SE 420, so I am pretty low Fi... Anyway I have seen an open box offer for E17 for 135 franks(about 120 USD) in a shop nearby, so I thought - why not? But actually I would prefer X5, I guess. And Schiit is looking good too! Frankly I am slowly fed up with all things Chinese... 

Jun 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM Post #1,222 of 150,704
Hey, I am still using my old Cowon D2+ as the main source on the go! And MBPr at home with Vox (free). My best phones are AKG K550 and Shure SE 420, so I am pretty low Fi... Anyway I have seen an open box offer for E17 for 135 franks(about 120 USD) in a shop nearby, so I thought - why not? But actually I would prefer X5, I guess. And Schiit is looking good too! Frankly I am slowly fed up with all things Chinese... 

Cheers! I love my Valhalla 650 combo, wonderful pairing! If you can give the Fiio a listen, do try. I am presently on the train listening to my laptop, Spotify, Fiio E17 and new PSB M4U1's, jamming the Decemberists, it is a wonderful, musically involving pairing. Picked up the PSB's from Todd the Vinyl Junky for an excellent price, check them out they ship Worldwide from Montana. Best Regards!

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,223 of 150,704
Cheers! I love my Valhalla 650 combo, wonderful pairing! If you can give the Fiio a listen, do try. I am presently on the train listening to my laptop, Spotify, Fiio E17 and new PSB M4U1's, jamming the Decemberists, it is a wonderful, musically involving pairing. Picked up the PSB's from Todd the Vinyl Junky for an excellent price, check them out they ship Worldwide from Montana. Best Regards!

Valhalla and HD 650? It goes on my to-do-list! After my kid is born, in a month or two. PSBs look good but too glitzy for me, kind of Beats look. The Decemberists sound really good, just checked them on YT. Btw. I discovered a fellow called Townes Van Zandt a few days ago, he is super cool.
Have a nice evening, here is time to sleep:)
Cheers!

Jun 5, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #1,224 of 150,704
Jun 5, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #1,226 of 150,704
Valhalla and HD 650? It goes on my to-do-list! After my kid is born, in a month or two. PSBs look good but too glitzy for me, kind of Beats look. The Decemberists sound really good, just checked them on YT. Btw. I discovered a fellow called Townes Van Zandt a few days ago, he is super cool.
Have a nice evening, here is time to sleep:)
Cheers!

Well done, Townes Van Zandt is an iconic Texas Folk Singer/Songwriter, love him! Check out Ryan Adams (solo, with the Cardinals or Whiskeytown), William Clark Green and Jason Isbell, I think you will like them. The PSB's are a bit Beats in appearance but it is the best sounding headphone I have heard directly out of my IPhone (I don't care for IEM's, prefer extra-cranial to intra-cranial soundstage).

Best on the birth of your Baby! Cheers!

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:10 PM Post #1,228 of 150,704
Nevermind, Remove

Jun 5, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,229 of 150,704
Originally Posted by XVampireX 
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
While I appreciate your work in Audio, Jason, I don't think that this is nice to say, and might be far from the truth.

It all depends on Implementation.

I've used an Asus Xonar Essence STX, and now using Schiit Lyr (And going for Ragnarok) with Auralic Vega which uses a Delta Sigma DAC, so you want to say that I have a DAC that is trying to approximate the sound that is really supposed to be?

I haven't tried any R2R implementation yet, but I doubt that a good R2R implementation would be better than a good Delta Sigma implementation.

And I can't believe these words are coming from the keys of someone who didn't believe that a DAC would make a difference a while back :D

No seriously, I just didn't like this comment, the rest is fine.

I'm not sure that's really fair. A lot of the way a DAC sounds is the analog stage more so than the DAC, plus implementation of digital filtering. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the big dollar DACs didn't take some liberties on the digital side of things.

Jun 5, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #1,230 of 150,704
Good thinking, I still have 5 weeks, better get going, LOL!

Congrats! My fiancee wants to hop on the baby train in five years, so luckily I still have some time to be irresponsible with my spending habits. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back