Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 1, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #149,866 of 151,842
Easier with Tubes, man! You can’t DRINK them…
Tubes are and should continue to be a great investment but the great ones are hard to find now.

May 1, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #149,867 of 151,842
Professional help? To listen to them, you mean? Where do I sign up… 😁
Yeah, that's what I meant. :slight_smile: Pretty soon you'll be within driving distance for a listen. And since I have family with connections here, I can help get you the proper permits to allow entry to Oklahoma from Texas. I tried to do that for @Ripper2860 a while back, but they just laughed at me. 🤣

May 1, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #149,868 of 151,842
I'm very much the same with cigars. Just never appealed to me. But even after many, many years, wave a cigarette in front of me and I'd still be tempted.

I prefer bourbon to scotch, but I can enjoy a good scotch just the same. The key word there is "good." Before following this thread and learning from some of the masters here, I used to think Dewars was "good" scotch. Yeah, um....not. :laughing:
Hehehe, my old boss use to LOVE Dewars, he could afford much better Scotch, but kept drinking that stuff.

May 1, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #149,869 of 151,842
Lol! So Azzy is an orange american shorthair, and this is what he did… To be fair, @bcowen might wanna look away. Picture of wanton cardboard destruction follows…
This is truly disturbing. Even worse, he looks so pleased with himself. I think you should punish him by getting a new one made out of corrugated aluminum. :laughing:

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #149,870 of 151,842
Hehehe, my old boss use to LOVE Dewars, he could afford much better Scotch, but kept drinking that stuff.
🤣 Dewars is probably why I prefer bourbon. 🤣

May 1, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #149,871 of 151,842
It's always interesting to read or hear the blanket statement, "I don't like Scotch." because, I mean, there's Scotch, and there's Scotch, and then there's Scotch. Meaning, there are many very distinct styles of Scotch - Lowland, Highland, Speyside, Islay, among others. The basic general funkiness of Scottish malted barley persists to varying degrees through all of those styles, and it's possible that people just don't like that - fair enough! - but other characteristics play a huge roll in the overall flavors and style of each region as well.

Whenever someone says they don't like Scotch, I generally assume that means they tried peated Scotch one time and hated it because that's the one most people hate. Peat is definitely an acquired taste!

I encourage people to branch out and try different Scotch regions because if you like whiskey in general, the odds are high that you'll find a style of Scotch you'll like.

May 1, 2024 at 12:43 PM Post #149,872 of 151,842
It's always interesting to read or hear the blanket statement, "I don't like Scotch." because, I mean, there's Scotch, and there's Scotch, and then there's Scotch. Meaning, there are many very distinct styles of Scotch - Lowland, Highland, Speyside, Islay, among others. The basic general funkiness of Scottish malted barley persists to varying degrees through all of those styles, and it's possible that people just don't like that - fair enough! - but other characteristics play a huge roll in the overall flavors and style of each region as well.

Whenever someone says they don't like Scotch, I generally assume that means they tried peated Scotch one time and hated it because that's the one most people hate. Peat is definitely an acquired taste!

I encourage people to branch out and try different Scotch regions because if you like whiskey in general, the odds are high that you'll find a style of Scotch you'll like.
Yeah, I've tried a LOT. I've had numerous different types of Scotch as well as Bourbons, Whisk(e)y's etc... over the years, and I don't really like any of them. :xf_eek: From expensive stuff like 21 year McCallan and Pappy Van Winkle etc... to not so expensive stuff, I just never have acquired a taste for them. I can taste the differences in them, along with the smoothness etc..., but they all basically taste awful to me.

May 1, 2024 at 12:52 PM Post #149,873 of 151,842
Yeah, I've tried a LOT. I've had numerous different types of Scotch as well as Bourbons, Whisk(e)y's etc... over the years, and I don't really like any of them. :xf_eek: From expensive stuff like 21 year McCallan and Pappy Van Winkle etc... to not so expensive stuff, I just never have acquired a taste for them. I can taste the differences in them, along with the smoothness etc..., but they all basically taste awful to me.
“The world is so full of a number of things,
I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”

It is good to have that knowledge and to fill your world with what you do enjoy.😁 You took the time to find out.

I am that way with gin, and I have tried quite a few. Add some St. Germain and it is tolerable. 🤪

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #149,874 of 151,842
Speaking of things that I enjoy...

Thanks for the recommendation of the Genalex Gold Lion 6922s. They sound amazing!

IMG_2048.JPEG

May 1, 2024 at 1:05 PM Post #149,875 of 151,842
“The world is so full of a number of things,
I’m sure we should all be as happy as kings.”

It is good to have that knowledge and to fill your world with what you do enjoy.😁 You took the time to find out.
Yup, I still have an open mind about them and will try new ones that I haven't had before in the hopes I find something that I like, but short of a couple flavoured whiskeys (which I don't really consider whiskey, because it's cheating) I haven't found any that I'd try more than the once or twice I have.

May 1, 2024 at 1:06 PM Post #149,876 of 151,842
Fair enough! If I could get my kids to try half the number of foods as you have whiskies, I'd be getting somewhere. 🤪

Last edited:
May 1, 2024 at 1:09 PM Post #149,877 of 151,842
May 1, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #149,878 of 151,842
I've tried quite a few scotches, and like yonson, I haven't found any of them tolerable. I don't really like whiskey or bourbon much either. I can drink a decent bourbon but would much rather drink tequila or mezcal or rum. Mostly I quit drinking 'hard' alcohol and just drink red wine and that is mostly Napa Cabs. Not any cheaper but less alcohol per ounce.

May 1, 2024 at 1:17 PM Post #149,879 of 151,842
I've tried quite a few scotches, and like yonson, I haven't found any of them tolerable. I don't really like whiskey or bourbon much either. I can drink a decent bourbon but would much rather drink tequila or mezcal or rum. Mostly I quit drinking 'hard' alcohol and just drink red wine and that is mostly Napa Cabs. Not any cheaper but less alcohol per ounce.
I try to limit my intake and while I have more free time now I rarely have more that a glass of wine with dinner and maybe a bit of fine bourbon, scotch, or dark rum in cooler weather. Warm weather it might be beer or a margarita. Otherwise it is coffee, water, and tea.

May 1, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #149,880 of 151,842
Fair enough! If I could get my kids to try half the number foods as you have whiskies, I'd be getting somewhere. 🤪
Lol! That's one battle I haven't had to fight. My kid will try anything, eat anything, and is generally a garbage disposal when it comes to leftovers. The only thing he doesn't like? Uncooked tomatoes. I was brought up to eat whatever was put in front of me (and like it), and to this day my only kryptonite is pickled beets. Dad made me eat some at dinner one night, and after my projectile sprayed him from the face down he never made me again. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back