Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:12 PM Post #149,821 of 152,593
Looks like I'll be going to the record store this weekend and buying a few used records. Seems that even as a teen I knew how to care for my albums. I've not run across any so far that have enough pops, clicks, noise to act as a baseline for a before and after HG cleaning comparo. Yay, me. 😁
Flea market if you really need a torture test. I'm sure you'd find a Pat Boone that's been around and around and...

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #149,822 of 152,593
Looks like I'll be going to the record store this weekend and buying a few used records. Seems that even as a teen I knew how to care for my albums. I've not run across any so far that have enough pops, clicks, noise to act as a baseline for a before and after HG cleaning comparo. Yay, me. 😁

Flea market if you really need a torture test. I'm sure you'd find a Pat Boone that's been around and around and...
Always lots of Barbara Streisand records at thrift stores and flea markets too. Might be the ultimate torture.....test 😀

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:20 PM Post #149,823 of 152,593
Yeah, I remember the story. Nice work turning all that around into your new home.

BTW, these are some of the best cigars I've ever experienced. The Brazilian tobacco rocks.
https://mikescigars.com/cigars/brands/davidoff/davidoff-escurio/davidoff-escurio-corona-gorda-pack
If you travel outside the USA, get a real Cuban cigar. The Cuban El Presidente was supposedly created for Castro. Years ago I re-entered the US in St. Thomas coming from Peter Island and Tortola with an abundance of Cuban cigars and over the import limit. A customs officer scolded me for being over the limit, informed me that he was allowed to confiscate all the cigars but since this was my first time he would only take one, an El Presidente.

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #149,824 of 152,593
Well, it's not like there was any dynamic range in your Partridge Family, Shaun Cassidy, and Eric Carmen LP's, so no deep grooves for crud to collect. But congrats on your youthful LP regimen anyway. 🤣 🤣

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #149,825 of 152,593
Regarding DSP: FWIW, I don't think that the efficacy of good 'ol passive physical (a.k.a. Art Noxon-style) room treatments can ever be fully replaced by DSP, ...

... and @sixergixer will be here... in spirit. ...
I kind of agree with you with a caveat. Don't get me wrong, room correction DSP is great but it's a bit of a compromise for practicality; akin to having recordings instead of hiring local minstrels :-D

The caveat is this: one can use DSP acoustically, I'm going to say. As an acolyte of Earl Geddes (and other subwoofer swarm advocates), one needs a way to control the delay and other parameters between the members of the swarm. So, it's not using DSP FIR/parametric EQ/etc to tame room modes, it's using multiple acoustic sources controlled digitally (aka with DSP).

When my room had 5 subwoofers controlled with a Xilica loudspeaker management system, oh my! that bass - so precise - so impactful and none of that below 20Hz nonsense.

P.S. isn't @sixergixer always with us in spirit?

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #149,826 of 152,593
Well, it's not like there was any dynamic range in your Partridge Family, Shaun Cassidy, and Eric Carmen LP's, so no deep grooves for crud to collect. But congrats on your youthful LP regimen anyway. 🤣 🤣
Those belonged to my ex-wife. It's about the only thing I got in the divorce. I didn't even want them but she did, so... 😉

** And I'll forgive you for including Eric Carmen on that list. He should be on one all by himself.😒

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #149,827 of 152,593
Definitely gotta pump this announcement up. OSD had a rather healthy haul of medals from the San Francisco Spirits Competition for our various whiskies, including Double Good for the Wheat Bottled-in-Bond! All you guys out there picking up OSD bottles get to celebrate with us. WOOT!!! 😁

IMG_7237.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #149,828 of 152,593
I like your choice of paint colors ... the brown in the book shelves. The walls in our kitchen & eating area are done in that same brown ... it's a large space with vaults and a lot of windows - the brown makes the space feel warm.
Once your Yggy warms up for a couple days - get ready to discover new sounds in the music all over again.

I wanted to thank the person that recommended this album. It is tremendously engaging. :)

I’m listening to it now via Gumby=>Freya N with Telefunken tubes in the gain stage sockets=>Lokius=>Asgard 3=>AKG K712 cans. Wonderfully recorded show and very analog-sounding in this chain. I’m enjoying it tremendously.

I appreciate the recommendation! (I believe it was @dstrimbu)

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 9:55 PM Post #149,829 of 152,593
If you travel outside the USA, get a real Cuban cigar. The Cuban El Presidente was supposedly created for Castro. Years ago I re-entered the US in St. Thomas coming from Peter Island and Tortola with an abundance of Cuban cigars and over the import limit. A customs officer scolded me for being over the limit, informed me that he was allowed to confiscate all the cigars but since this was my first time he would only take one, an El Presidente.
My preferred Cuban cigar was the Cohiba Esplendido that Castro passed out to visiting dignitaries. I have owned several boxes and today they can fetch $135 per cigar. A lady I know brought me back some legally when she and her husband visited, a whole box was $1700.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #149,830 of 152,593
.... it must be torture listening to that 45rpm dreck on a 33rpm turntable .... it lasts longer .... 🤬🤯

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #149,831 of 152,593
As much as I love analog, I am old and lazy, and occasionally busy doing ridiculous things, so... digital is easier. As the quest continues, I took the opportunity last week to bring my digital source chain "one step closer" to my analog setup. I upgraded my streamer from the manufacturer's "G1" model, bought in late 2020, to their "G2.2" model. The sonic difference (both devices connected to Yggy MiB via a 0.6m SilverSonic DH-110 AES/EBU cable) is stunning. The new streamer delivers a palpably smoother presentation, with a schiit-ton more "air" across the board. Within two minutes of listening to the G2.2, I had to stop and swap the G1 back in to make sure that I wasn't losing my mind.

The G1 is headed back to the manufacturer (for a very gracious trade-in value, thank you!) and I'm not looking back.

Listening to the new streamer in "LIAR mode" today; I'm in the office upstairs and the downstairs system is playing at a medium level. It almost sounds like a LP up here, without the need to run downstairs every 12-20 minutes to flip a disk.

The LPs are reserved for later this evening, and @sixergixer will be here... in spirit. So happy that I'm into this Schiit.
Congrats, Man, cool to hear this!

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 10:17 PM Post #149,832 of 152,593
My preferred Cuban cigar was the Cohiba Esplendido that Castro passed out to visiting dignitaries. I have owned several boxes and today they can fetch $135 per cigar. A lady I know brought me back some legally when she and her husband visited, a whole box was $1700.
Cohiba is my go-to when i occasionally hit the cigar shop. Smoked one and pssed them out at the birth of all 3 kids. Not the Esplendido, never had the pleasure of one of those, but, the Blue Label's are very good in their own right.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:24 PM Post #149,833 of 152,593
Cohiba is my go-to when i occasionally hit the cigar shop. Smoked one and pssed them out at the birth of all 3 kids. Not the Esplendido, never had the pleasure of one of those, but, the Blue Label's are very good in their own right.
There are non-Cuban versions of course. I saved a couple of the Cuban version boxes to mount headphone amps into but a Robusto box might work better. I have a couple of those as well.🤪

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 10:42 PM Post #149,834 of 152,593
Even though I was a cigarette smoker for years when I was younger, I never understood cigars. A pipe, maybe. But cigars just taste so bad that i'm not sure how anyone can enjoy them. But then I kind of feel the same way about good scotch. So maybe it is just me.

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #149,835 of 152,593
You are not crazy! I agree with you regarding 100% analog reproduction or music, versus a digital source - or a source with digital processing stages. My system sounds best when all digital devices are powered-off, the platter of the TT is running at 33.33 RPM... and the needle is in the groove. The stylus on my phono cartridge rides high in the groove by design, and on a clean record background noise is non-existent. A great LP can sound mind-bendingly real at decent volume levels on my system. I am lucky. This has been nearly a fifty year project for me, and a LOT of gear has come in, spent time, and left for new homes... I just wish that I'd kept the Sony TA-5650; I'd love to hear it next to Ragnarok 2 today!

Regarding DSP: FWIW, I don't think that the efficacy of good 'ol passive physical (a.k.a. Art Noxon-style) room treatments can ever be fully replaced by DSP, but not bc the tech isn't capable. The DSP algorithms and filters can calculate a near-perfect solution for a single listening position. It can do amazing things, and I understand that it can work even better if your head is shaped like a microphone <j/k>. I have the luxury to do the room treatment thing, so I'm just going to shut up and enjoy my situation, and esp. the situation that happens when Listening In Another Room... omg there are two people playing guitars downstairs, et al...

What you describe as that intangible quality is still there - I promise you that the magic is still in there. It's in a well-engineered recording, and the right digital signal chain can deliver it. I believe that you owe it to yourself to seek out and hear a Schiit True Multibit DAC. Listen to Sara K's Water Falls on the Stockfisch digital masters, via a Bifrost or a Yggy. Your jaw will drop.

As much as I love analog, I am old and lazy, and occasionally busy doing ridiculous things, so... digital is easier. As the quest continues, I took the opportunity last week to bring my digital source chain "one step closer" to my analog setup. I upgraded my streamer from the manufacturer's "G1" model, bought in late 2020, to their "G2.2" model. The sonic difference (both devices connected to Yggy MiB via a 0.6m SilverSonic DH-110 AES/EBU cable) is stunning. The new streamer delivers a palpably smoother presentation, with a schiit-ton more "air" across the board. Within two minutes of listening to the G2.2, I had to stop and swap the G1 back in to make sure that I wasn't losing my mind.

The G1 is headed back to the manufacturer (for a very gracious trade-in value, thank you!) and I'm not looking back.

Listening to the new streamer in "LIAR mode" today; I'm in the office upstairs and the downstairs system is playing at a medium level. It almost sounds like a LP up here, without the need to run downstairs every 12-20 minutes to flip a disk.

The LPs are reserved for later this evening, and @sixergixer will be here... in spirit. So happy that I'm into this Schiit.
After only my first evening with my first Yggy…

I think @dstrimbu and I must be brothers from another mother.

OMG! I’m (after many discs, one that brought me to tears - yes - later, on Reiner, Chicago, RCA, Scheherazade… and, ya know what… it’s got the same THERE as my OG 2nd stampers of the LPs… (have 2000 or so?)

And I’m on a “lowly” A1/OG… <grin>

Multibit… for the win

Users who are viewing this thread

Back