Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #149,236 of 150,613
His mention of "audiophile ethernet switches" drives me up an acoustically untreated wall. While I appreciate his politeness, the fact remains that ethernet switches are at layer 2 (datalink), and can't *possibly* know the contents of network packets passing through them. The *only* manipulation at layer 2 is VLAN tagging, giving the ability to prioritize traffic as the switch traffic approaches congestion (example: VOIP in enterprise networks). We only "know" about packet content (TCP, UDP, or even Novel's IPX) when we are at layer 3 (network).....

1714075359933.png

Well, to be fair, there are layer 3 switches. https://documentation.meraki.com/MS/Layer_3_Switching/Comparing_Layer_3_and_Layer_2_Switches

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:55 PM Post #149,240 of 150,613
His mention of "audiophile ethernet switches" drives me up an acoustically untreated wall. While I appreciate his politeness, the fact remains that ethernet switches are at layer 2 (datalink), and can't *possibly* know the contents of network packets passing through them. The *only* manipulation at layer 2 is VLAN tagging, giving the ability to prioritize traffic as the switch traffic approaches congestion (example: VOIP in enterprise networks). We only "know" about packet content (TCP, UDP, or even Novel's IPX) when we are at layer 3 (network).....

I don't think that "audiophile" ethernet switches prioritize certain packages over others. As you've already explained, that's technically not possible anyway.

It is my understanding that those things are (supposedly) made up of somewhat higher-grade components to reduce chances for packet loss, i.e. "better" power supply, "better" circuit board layout to reduce sources for noise, "better" internal shielding, "better" connectors, etc.

Anyone with even just a cursory understanding of how TCP/IP works knows that that's all just a pile of marketing manure. Packages are packages, and if one gets lost along the way, the TCP/IP stack will take note and request for it to be resent.
If your home network works fine on your average bottom shelf routers and switches, it'll work well enough for all your audiophile needs.

But at this point in my "audiophile career," I don't really mind all this audiophile marketing spiel anymore. This is a hobby that's virtually crawling with people who have way more cash at hand than they could ever possibly need for themselves and their families. And if they want to use some of that disposable coin to pay for some dude's kid's college fund so that they can tell themselves that their system sounds better? Then by all means; be my guest.

I'd prefer to live in a world where honesty in marketing prevails. But I also want a world at peace, run by a self-governing socio-economical system that works without money and is driven by each individual's personal, innate, self-motivated drive to add net-positive value to the human experience and the planet as a whole. So there's probably something terribly wrong with my brain.

Let them have it, I say. It's not like debating people on these topics would lead to any actually positive outcome. All I can do is to make and market products that actually do what it says on the label, and without up-charging well-meaning but gullible hobbyists falling for a bunch of smart-sounding technobabble in the product description.

PS:
I'm not cynical, you are cynical! 😬😇

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #149,241 of 150,613
Apr 25, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #149,242 of 150,613
I don't think that "audiophile" ethernet switches prioritize certain packages over others. As you've already explained, that's technically not possible anyway.

It is my understanding that those things are (supposedly) made up of somewhat higher-grade components to reduce chances for packet loss, i.e. "better" power supply, "better" circuit board layout to reduce sources for noise, "better" internal shielding, "better" connectors, etc.

Anyone with even just a cursory understanding of how TCP/IP works knows that that's all just a pile of marketing manure. Packages are packages, and if one gets lost along the way, the TCP/IP stack will take note and request for it to be resent.
Agreed! Ethernet switch "packets" are referred to a frames, which are limited to typically 14 (header) + 1500 (data) + 4 (crc) bytes. These frames then get re-assembled into packets (of any size) at layer 3 *after* arriving at the host's network interface. Any marketing discussion I've seen to date completely ignores this.

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:14 PM Post #149,243 of 150,613

If your home network works fine on your average bottom shelf routers and switches, it'll work well enough for all your audiophile needs.

But at this point in my "audiophile career," I don't really mind all this audiophile marketing spiel anymore. This is a hobby that's virtually crawling with people who have way more cash at hand than they could ever possibly need for themselves and their families. And if they want to use some of that disposable coin to pay for some dude's kid's college fund so that they can tell themselves that their system sounds better? Then by all means; be my guest.

I'd prefer to live in a world where honesty in marketing prevails. But I also want a world at peace, run by a socio-economical, self-governing system that works without money and is driven by each individual's personal, innate, self-motivated drive to add net-positive value to the human experience and the planet as a whole. So there's probably something terribly wrong with my brain.

Let them have it, I say. It's not like debating people on these topics would lead to any actually positive outcome. All I can do is to make and market products that actually do what it says on the label, and without up-charging well-meaning but gullible hobbyists falling for a bunch of smart-sounding technobabble in the product description.

PS:
Agree. And yes... I'm cynical.

Honesty in Marketing is a gooey grey domain coated with the happy promise of being just one upgrade away from new and improved happy promises.

Or... Honesty in Marketing was a grunge band in the 90s who couldn't get a deal with a major label - without a name change. :ksc75smile:

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #149,245 of 150,613
Nice. I myself am quite fond of all the variants of Mammatus cloud formations… they tend to freak people out as well… :wink:

No time for tin-foil-hatters…
56e755310d720b09c7945fb377e44228ed2ed0cc8f57580fed3c33a01785cb0d.jpg

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #149,246 of 150,613
Back in 2021, I took the prettiest Mammatus cloud that appeared at Olympic Park Seattle! Feels like getting sucked-in a vortex

Amazing photo!

Apr 25, 2024 at 5:55 PM Post #149,247 of 150,613
Thanks! It's one of a kind with me at the right place and at the right time! Captured with just an iPhone 12 as you can see on the lens flare on the lower center :)

Apr 25, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #149,249 of 150,613

I'd prefer to live in a world where honesty in marketing prevails. But I also want a world at peace, run by a self-governing socio-economical system that works without money and is driven by each individual's personal, innate, self-motivated drive to add net-positive value to the human experience and the planet as a whole. So there's probably something terribly wrong with my brain.

PS:

While you're here, can you ...uhhhh... explain German programming culture? I mean, I worked at a Canadian university computer centre while in grad school not too long after this magazine issue, and it was NOT even close to whatever this is!

1714085005440.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #149,250 of 150,613
🤪 The Fotons prior to the 60’s are decent tubes for the price, I have not compared as many as Bill so he is a better judge. Both brands will need solder replacement. Some just reflow the solder but I prefer to remove the solder, apply liquid flux, then resolder with a silver content solder that Kester used to make.
Yeah. Whatever happened to Kester SN62 solder?
Tried to find some last week and no bueno.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back