Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #149,206 of 150,663
Sorry if this idea has been mentioned already in the past 11 pages.

Could you devise a Jason clever, lesson in ingenious heat dissipation the way we do it in Texas, matching two chassis stackable solution?

"Valhalla III is stacked with improved tube sound!"

Just don't do the heat tunnel thing again and send it out with a fire extinguisher. :) People want to stack! Texas style. Bigger and taller. Taller than a bottle of the best Texas wine.

Paladin needs to keep busy.

All jokes aside going up in limited space is easier than Yggy width components.

A two piece Valhalla III could sit proud atop a stack anchored by the uber cool Bifrost Multibit Autonomy DAC!

Think of the Stellar Sounding Stacks that could be done. Everyone is doing it now with the small stuff. Think a little bigger. There could be a Texas night stand edition set in tiger maple.

Take a poll. Ask if folks here would be willing to pay more for a two piece solution over a one piece solution, which as of now can't be done, as opposed to going wider.

Folks may very well pay bigger to stack smaller.....width wise....... even if it's just for fun and cool. It's a giant part of your Sine Wave.

Just a morning thought from Hill Country.
VH3 just needs the proper heatsink, and all will be fine. 🤣

1714066606866.png

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:52 PM Post #149,207 of 150,663
Something I've been wondering about is the impact of thermal cycle count on a vacuum tube filament, as opposed to tube operating hours. My thinking is that with a normal incandescent lamp, there's an estimated lifespan in hours, but we can also dramatically shorten the total number of operating hours by rapidly cycling the lamp on and off, letting the filament heat and cool and expand and contract until it breaks.

The filament in a vacuum tube can't be that different from an incandescent lamp filament, right? So, in addition to the rough estimate that this tube lasts for e.g. 5,000 hours, there must also be an impact from thermal cycles. If we had tons of high-quality data, then I suspect we'd be able to estimate a minimum acceptable power-off time for a tube, below which it's actually better for total tube lifespan to leave it on.

I could not find any data about this. I wonder if there was ever anything that came out of early vacuum tube computer installations where they burned through tens of thousands of tubes, and even if there was, whether it was ever unclassified or declassified.

Apr 25, 2024 at 1:58 PM Post #149,208 of 150,663
A Garrard 301 like this for me please. I can supply the LP's, no problem. 🤣

Didin’t I build you several things this decade? It may be someone else’s turn by now.🤪 I will pencil you in for June of 2068 but it could be later.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #149,209 of 150,663
Looking forward to seeing your re-freshed turntables.
Indeed, me too. Makes me wish I had a vintage 'table in need of a plinth. I'd love to see Tom's handiwork in that form!

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:04 PM Post #149,210 of 150,663
I was busy listening to Fotons from every year they were made. My energy is nearly limitless when it comes to audio, but I can't do everything. But belated thanks for picking up the slack. :laughing:
At least for once you did not change the narrative.🤪 I did suffer through listening to GE tubes just to win a bet from you and that took effort and several adult beverages.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #149,211 of 150,663
Didin’t I build you several things this decade? It may be someone else’s turn by now.🤪 I will pencil you in for June of 2068 but it could be later.
.... a bcowen transcription turntable has tonearm mounted only on side of plinth ....
IMG_7914.jpeg

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #149,212 of 150,663
Nice. I myself am quite fond of all the variants of Mammatus cloud formations… they tend to freak people out as well… :wink:

No time for tin-foil-hatters…

Yeah, I have no patience and little empathy for those who have gone down those conspiracy rabbit holes.

Here's a pic of some mammatus clouds near my home 5 years ago. They are unique and very cool looking.

<edit: Whoops! The file is too large for the forums so I screenshotted it. Didn't notice the mouse cursor>

1714068405896.png

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:08 PM Post #149,213 of 150,663
Indeed, me too. Makes me wish I had a vintage 'table in need of a plinth. I'd love to see Tom's handiwork in that form!
Some of you should get together and explain to @bcowen what a plinth is. I tried but even Finnegan has a better understanding.😸😸

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #149,214 of 150,663
Yes, you did. But I don't want you to experience withdrawal symptoms, so I'm just trying to help as always.

June of 2068? I think we'd have to file that under 'ghost build.' :laughing::laughing:

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:13 PM Post #149,215 of 150,663
Yes, you did. But I don't want you to experience withdrawal symptoms, so I'm just trying to help as always.

June of 2068? I think we'd have to file that under 'ghost build.' :laughing::laughing:
I have a son who is far more capable than me. He could build it for your son provided he has stopped throwing softballs at turntables.🤪 Or was it a baseball?

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #149,216 of 150,663
Apr 25, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #149,217 of 150,663
Something I've been wondering about is the impact of thermal cycle count on a vacuum tube filament, as opposed to tube operating hours. My thinking is that with a normal incandescent lamp, there's an estimated lifespan in hours, but we can also dramatically shorten the total number of operating hours by rapidly cycling the lamp on and off, letting the filament heat and cool and expand and contract until it breaks.

The filament in a vacuum tube can't be that different from an incandescent lamp filament, right? So, in addition to the rough estimate that this tube lasts for e.g. 5,000 hours, there must also be an impact from thermal cycles. If we had tons of high-quality data, then I suspect we'd be able to estimate a minimum acceptable power-off time for a tube, below which it's actually better for total tube lifespan to leave it on.

I could not find any data about this. I wonder if there was ever anything that came out of early vacuum tube computer installations where they burned through tens of thousands of tubes, and even if there was, whether it was ever unclassified or declassified.
One possible reason that these data are not available is that the majority of vacuum tube failures are not due to open filaments. The predominant failure modes are low thermionic emission, shorts, gas, noise, and microphonics. The heaters cannot be directly compared to incandescent light bulbs, since the heaters are never heated to near incandescence in most small tubes. Yes, thermal cycling may shorten tube life, but some other malady will probably claim it first.

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #149,218 of 150,663
Room treatments - the clap test

Darko nails this one IMHO:
(you can watch the whole thing if you want, but this is the most important part to me)

And guess what? YMWV - your mileage WON'T vary - if your room is not properly treated, you're never going to hear what your system is truly capable of...

They had those clap tests when I was at sea. Not a good thing to observe......

Apr 25, 2024 at 2:51 PM Post #149,220 of 150,663

Users who are viewing this thread

Back