Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 9, 2016 at 10:39 AM Post #14,716 of 151,514
I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon but that's what I'm about to do.  I say use audio products the way they are intended to be used and stop complaining that they don't have features you think you want for your personal convenience.  Either something works for you or it doesn't, and if it doesn't then you need to find something that will.  It's simple.  And get off my lawn.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:00 AM Post #14,717 of 151,514
  I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon but that's what I'm about to do. 

Nothing wrong with that, I find it gives me great satisfaction to get my curmudgeon on!
biggrin.gif

I say use audio products the way they are intended to be used and stop complaining that they don't have features you think you want for your personal convenience.  Either something works for you or it doesn't, and if it doesn't then you need to find something that will.  It's simple.  And get off my lawn.

I agree, although I'm a renter and so don't own any lawn to allow me to yell at people to get off of.

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #14,718 of 151,514
  I hate to sound like an old curmudgeon but that's what I'm about to do.  I say use audio products the way they are intended to be used and stop complaining that they don't have features you think you want for your personal convenience.  Either something works for you or it doesn't, and if it doesn't then you need to find something that will.  It's simple.  And get off my lawn.

I am in my mid thirties, I have much respect for Old Curmudgeons, no excuses, just solutions and action. I tell my wife I want to be like that Guy when I get old , she always laughs and says I am pretty much there. I laugh then Wonder if she means I am now considered Old or Curmudgeon like .

Dec 9, 2016 at 11:04 AM Post #14,720 of 151,514
LOL!

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:05 PM Post #14,721 of 151,514

That's one of the things that baffles me about the Freya and Saga. No fixed volume pre out.

A preamp without a headphone amp from a company that made their bones with headphone amps makes sense. But no fixed out means you can't even conveniently use one of their headphone amps in the listening chain without having multiple volume pots each adding their particular sound signature to the results. So they're actually cutting their own products out of the purchasing equation by assuming the pre-amp is going to be used only with speakers and buyers will not be using headphones to, e.g. listen to their LPs.

Baffling.

I have to agree, this baffles me too.  I've always run my headphone amps out of the fixed output tape loops on my pres and integrateds.  That way I can use my headphone amp with any source connected to my pre.  If you follow everyone's advice about splitting the output from the DAC to a headphone amp, then you are limiting the devices that you can use headphones with, meaning they would all have to be digital sources connected to the DAC.  I was so looking forward to owning a complete Schiity system, but this simple omission means it just won't work for me.  Hopefully a version 2 comes out in the future with a fixed output.

EDIT
After reading some of the replies regarding the lack of a fixed volume preout, I decided to edit my post a bit to better explain my system and situation.  I live in a modest (small) apartment, so I only have one real stereo system.  I share it for TV/speaker/headphone use.  I also don't have a ton of money, so one system is the only realistic solution for me.  I also run a powered sub.  So if I were to use the Saga and Vidar, both variable preouts would be taken.  None left for a headphone amp unless I run an RCA splitter.  And I would have to deal with the dual volume control as well.  I'd prefer not to do all that, so I will move on and continue to use what I have until something else comes along that can fill the void.  I don't expect Schiit to cater to my needs.  I can however be a bit confused at their decision to not include a fixed volume preout to use with their headphone amps...it seems like it would be a relatively cheap addition.  I love their gear and will continue to buy from them when a piece of gear comes along that fits my needs.  The Fulla 2 is looking really good for a home desktop solution right about now.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #14,723 of 151,514
Or hey, how about maybe use the Saga or Freya to drive power amplifiers intended for loudspeakers?  And, you know, use it as a preamp in a stand-alone 2-channel system?  Which is what I believe Schiit designed it for?

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #14,724 of 151,514
  Or hey, how about maybe use the Saga or Freya to drive power amplifiers intended for loudspeakers?  And, you know, use it as a preamp in a stand-alone 2-channel system?  Which is what I believe Schiit designed it for?

You're going to cripple the Internet with your crazy ideas
eek.gif
  Regardless, I'm just waiting on the Freya for my 2ch system which doesn't even know headphones exist.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #14,725 of 151,514
  I have to agree, this baffles me too.  I've always run my headphone amps out of the fixed output tape loops on my pres and integrateds.  That way I can use my headphone amp with any source connected to my pre.  If you follow everyone's advice about splitting the output from the DAC to a headphone amp, then you are limiting the devices that you can use headphones with, meaning they would all have to be digital sources connected to the DAC.  I was so looking forward to owning a complete Schiity system, but this simple omission means it just won't work for me.  Hopefully a version 2 comes out in the future with a fixed output.

If the Saga uses a relay attenuator for the volume control, then why couldn't you just turn it all the way up when connecting it to a headphone amp and use the headphone amp volume control?  It doesn't sound like the preamp would introduce any alteration in the sound except whatever was caused by the tube if you chose to use that mode versus the passive mode. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #14,726 of 151,514

Gumby and Yggy have dual SE outs (not to mention a balanced out) so for those who can afford them, there's a ready place to hang your headphone amp.  And, for the rest of us, Freya and Saga are cheaper.  Currently both SE outputs on my Saga are connected to power amps.  If Saga were more expensive than it is, I wouldn't have it.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #14,727 of 151,514

If the Saga uses a relay attenuator for the volume control, then why couldn't you just turn it all the way up when connecting it to a headphone amp and use the headphone amp volume control?  It doesn't sound like the preamp would introduce any alteration in the sound except whatever was caused by the tube if you chose to use that mode versus the passive mode. 

Madness I tell you. or the other way around. set the volume control on the headphone amp to the level needed, and never touch it again and use the saga to adjust. No different than what one would do with powered monitors off a headphone amp.

Dec 9, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #14,728 of 151,514

Gumby and Yggy have dual SE outs (not to mention a balanced out) so for those who can afford them, there's a ready place to hang your headphone amp.  And, for the rest of us, Freya and Saga are cheaper.  Currently both SE outputs on my Saga are connected to power amps.  If Saga were more expensive than it is, I wouldn't have it.

That doesn't work if you also have another input like a turntable...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back