Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 8, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #14,701 of 149,271

​Equipment design is electrical engineering.  But analyzing the result is a combination of acoustical engineering, audionics, psychoacoustics, marketing, sociology, psychology, philosophy, complex systems theory, and feng shui.

beerchug.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #14,703 of 149,271

That's one of the things that baffles me about the Freya and Saga. No fixed volume pre out.

A preamp without a headphone amp from a company that made their bones with headphone amps makes sense. But no fixed out means you can't even conveniently use one of their headphone amps in the listening chain without having multiple volume pots each adding their particular sound signature to the results. So they're actually cutting their own products out of the purchasing equation by assuming the pre-amp is going to be used only with speakers and buyers will not be using headphones to, e.g. listen to their LPs.

Baffling.

Yeah. I just ordered my 7th and 8th Schiit components, and I'm sure I'll be ordering one or two Vidars when they come out, but I won't order a preamp without a fixed level pre-out. I really don't care about the remote volume control anyway, so my Mjolnir 2 really does what I need in term of preamp duty, but it would ideally have another input.

Dec 8, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #14,704 of 149,271

I think that in his next improvement of Schiit's products Jason will need to put a switch on the back to bypass volume control on their headphone amplifiers, so we can use schiit's preamplifiers to control his headphone "power amplifiers".

That's ass backwards from the usual way, which is to have a fixed out on the preamp.

Dec 8, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #14,708 of 149,271
It used to be preamps all had tape loops and line level out. That's not seen much anymore, at least I don't think so. The variable out is needed to drive a sub. With the Yggy and Gumby there's 3 line levels out so there's plenty of options. For starters, Freya is perfect for some (like me). Perhaps a more elaborate preamp later or option. Come to think about it there is always some configuration challenge in hi-fi.    
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 8, 2016 at 11:26 PM Post #14,710 of 149,271
I'm listening to it now.  No break in yet.  First things I don't like is the single foot in the back.  I will have to add another foot so it doesn't wobble when I have my had on it or get use to where I put pressure.  Sound is very good for the price.  With Audeze Sine I don't need any more than 1/4 volume.  Lowest volume is not matching left/right.  Left starts out then right fades in.  For price very happy.  Love no LED's Should be very good for my monitors with computer.  Dac will always be one when computers on.  Now one less thing to turn on.

Dec 9, 2016 at 12:49 AM Post #14,711 of 149,271
  http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/12/number-two-reaches-number-one-schiit-audio-factory-tour-interview/

@Jason Stoddard

Are those Infinity Modulus speakers I see behind you and Mike?

Man, I remember lusting after those when I was in college.  I would take breaks from my applied physics / AE classes to sneak down to The Audible Difference in Palo Alto where almost everything was way beyond what I could afford, but maybe, just maybe the Modulus system with sats and subs if I sold my car and ate ramen for a year.  I probably had 5 different demos from the poor sales guys who knew a 20 year old kid was never going to buy.... 

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #14,712 of 149,271
Yeah, These Pre amps are light on features Especially that Freya. Balanced inputs and Outputs Along with SE, And Who needs the SS Buffer or Tube Stage when you have passive Built in. Remote pffft, who needs that. It can't be worth anything at $699 I can send twice as much else where and do away with that silly tube stage. A Second variable output that means I don't need splitters for my Subwoofer. I am a Glutton for Punishment I will throw my money away and get a Freya.

Dec 9, 2016 at 8:06 AM Post #14,713 of 149,271
A question if I may.. So if I understand things well the super mega burrito filter is an oversampling filter. After which your DAC of choice no longer needs that brick wall filter. This would apply equally to multibit or delta-sigma. So I wondered if you guys have ever tried to feed a d/s DAC with burritos, and if so, what were the results?

I suppose one could even prototype this by implementing the mega-burrito in software and offline converting a redbook file to 384/32 or whatever one can feed the DAC at hand.

Or am I completely off base? In which case, feel free to call me out on being an ignorant bumpkin.

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #14,714 of 149,271
Yeah, These Pre amps are light on features Especially that Freya. Balanced inputs and Outputs Along with SE, And Who needs the SS Buffer or Tube Stage when you have passive Built in. Remote pffft, who needs that. It can't be worth anything at $699 I can send twice as much else where and do away with that silly tube stage. A Second variable output that means I don't need splitters for my Subwoofer. I am a Glutton for Punishment I will throw my money away and get a Freya.

Well  if you have accurate speakers like Genelecs,a little tube action would be nice once in awhile. 

Dec 9, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #14,715 of 149,271
  Well  if you have accurate speakers like Genelecs,a little tube action would be nice once in awhile. 

I use a Valhalla 2 as a pre amp for my 2 Channel setup now and use a Sys to switch inputs and splitters for subetc and to bypass Valhalla when I am listening to audio that I do not care to fire up the Valhalla for . The Ability to switch between Passive, JFET or Tube instantly simplify wiring. It's main purpose is to be a 2 Channel Pre amp and in that realm it checks a hell of a lot of boxes Tube When you want. Jfet when you want or passive when you want. There are products that are 10x the price of these and cannot check some of those boxes. So Yes I was being Facetious in my previous post. There is a phenomenal amount of value for the money, I get for some not all the boxes are checked but lets not forget what that in the 2 Channel world products can easily cost as much as New cars (and set of cables can cost as much as a freya) and they don't do much more than these pre amps and in a lot of cases do a lot less. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back