Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 31, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #146,192 of 155,069
Finally got myself on the Schiit list. I needed to replace an ailing Musical Fidelity integrated, so I'd been lurking on here for awhile to figure out what to get. I posted a few weeks ago about choosing between an Aegir 2 or Vidar 2 amplifier. I finally ended up with the Vidar and a Saga+ preamp. I opted for the more powerful Vidar, basing the decision on room size, speakers, listening needs, etc. I've had it for a few days now, and it sounds fantastic. I'm extremely happy with the choice!
IMG_20240331_142859.jpg

Nice! I haven’t seen XLO cables in a long time.

Mar 31, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #146,193 of 155,069
Gorgeous piece of music for piano and cello from Valentin Silvestrov. Intimately personal musical scenes countered by moments of tense melancholy.

Just got back from a visit to Portland to see friends and drink lots of big crazy beers, now preparing for the work week. Blessings on Easter, my friends!
Oof, 20 pages behind is no joke.

IMG_6979.jpeg

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:07 PM Post #146,194 of 155,069
I cant disagree with any of this. The Alabamans arent hearing any of it though, they want their damn white sauce lol.
Just add Memphis dry or muddy ribs, them Arkansas burnt ends, and a shout-out to the Saturday special up here- the Beef Ribs from Wright's BBQ are world class. The burnt ends are in the top left cornerr. Thats my FAVORITE favorite. All time. Meat candy. It pops and melts in your mouth, man.
https://www.wrightsbbq.com

image_2024-03-29_210822058.pngimage_2024-03-29_211103838.png
That bottom tray gets me feeling a funny way. 🤤

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:53 PM Post #146,195 of 155,069
Regarding college eduction today, Cynthia and I have some real hands on regarding the lives and challenges of students....

We have a local community college, along with several trade schools in our area. Cynthia runs an increasingly successful dog treat manufacturing business; we're up to about 25 employees - some who are part time college and trade students. We see them struggle with expenses, to the point of food being "optional". Our response is a well stocked lunchroom and constant encouragement to "follow your dream".... We don't see this as a hand out, but a hand up.

What goes around comes around
More young people need folks like you helping them ever upwards. 🙌

I've done a couple years work with a residential treatment / life skills program for college age kids; my wife has done almost 20 years in the same.

These kids come from wealthy families who the world would measure as a picture of success. Lemme tell you: The parents in these families were very often absolute shitshows, and the joke / lamentation in our community of coworkers was that the parents needed a program far more than their poor kids who were raised by the nanny or not really raised at all. Too busy chasing the Almighty Dollar and of course their kids are going to get into trouble.

Sometimes the parents were actually great and the kids still chose to do weird dumb things in their adolescence and having the support of their parent(s) [Most were often divorced, another cause of such strife for the kids.] in a structured environment away from the Grind For Success™️ did wondrous things for all involved.

I am still friends with a number of these former students some 15 years later and it is awesome to see them thriving as adults.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #146,196 of 155,069
Mar 31, 2024 at 10:07 PM Post #146,197 of 155,069
Interesting on the Ocean, I've listened a few times now and find it enjoyable. The piano player stands out to me.
Listening to Gerald Clayton in a live gig is one of the most engaging, lively, fun musical experiences.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #146,198 of 155,069
I'm not at the end of my life, but I'm pretty sure I can see it from here. (Don't let the Old Man in).

My Niece gave me a photo frame with Bluetooth. New pix of the toddler almost every day. One of my daily highlights.

I do not think anyone will care which facilities manufactured their Schiit, so long as they are Assy in the USA unless you know of a reason the parts or quality would be different.
When I asked Jason it sounded like all Schiit facilities would be moving to Texas eventually. I did get there late and missed the 1st part of the Q&A tho.

But from what I understand they'll still use the metal stamping company in CA for cases.

Edit: oh, whoops, you said ~150 miles

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #146,199 of 155,069
Speaking of Messiah: An Oratorio, In Score, As It Was Originally Perform'd: Composed by Mr. Händel, To Which Are Added His Additional Alterations, HWV 56, I favor the Academy of Ancient Music (Christopher Hogwood, Conductor) versions. A BEAR of a lookup on Discogs: Decca/Universal 6 35503 (DEU); and L'Oiseal-Lyre D1890D (GBR), 595045 (FRA) and 189D (EUR), not available in North America.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:39 PM Post #146,201 of 155,069
What?!?!?!? Texas Hold 'Em? You aren't reveling in the spectacle of Carolina ending the tourney for Alabama? Holy geeeez, man. Words cannot adequately convey my disappointment. 🤣

If Carolina doesn't win, I disavow any knowledge of this post. :anguished:
Maybe you should transfer your loyalties to your conference schools Duke, and NC State? Yea, I know that's going to happen.

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #146,202 of 155,069
Maybe you should transfer your loyalties to your conference schools Duke, and NC State? Yea, I know that's going to happen.
Fortunately NC State took Duke out today. I am permitted to root for NC State. Duke, not. That would be like me recommending GE tubes. I must retain some self-respect. 🤣

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #146,203 of 155,069
I decided Qobuz wasn't for me. Multiple login requests a day for every device (I have several).

I just want to pick a tune and play it, not spend all day logging in to streaming services.

Don't buy Beelink mini pc, btw, to run roon on. It doesn't keep the ethernet on if it thinks you're not using it...

Mar 31, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #146,204 of 155,069
Fortunately NC State took Duke out today. I am permitted to root for NC State. Duke, not. That would be like me recommending GE tubes. I must retain some self-respect. 🤣
ALL of us are on NC State. #AmericasTeam

Mar 31, 2024 at 11:08 PM Post #146,205 of 155,069

Users who are viewing this thread

Back