Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 24, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #145,066 of 151,879
My salesman days go way back selling Theta Gen5a dacs. Back then, it was, to my ears anyway, the most musical dac on the planet. And we also carried the big Krell Digital dacs too.. The 32x and 64x. I would always demo the Gen5 because it sounded so like, um, music. Mike rocked the dac world.
Sorry,
Rant over.
Just reading his posts about Yggy, the whole lore of that story meant I HAD to have one.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #145,067 of 151,879
Apologies in advance, but I’m going to sound off regarding that index card-sized Vali 3 (again)…

Since I posted initial thoughts, I have rolled in GE JAN 5670s (all from the mid-1980s), a Sylvania JAN 5670 (1962) and a WE396A (date ???). I love all three tubes. The WE is the best all around, and it should be, given the prices being charged for them. It has an overall balance to it where everything jus sounds “right”. However, if it’s bass extension you’re looking for, my Sylvania leads the pack. It doesn’t do anything badly, or even just OK, but the bass is more present with that tube.

The GEs are very uniform, and tend to be pretty much a mini 396A. Not quite as phenomenal, just excellent in every aspect.

Forgot I also tried an JRC 5670 made by RCA (1962). This was somewhere between the GEs and the Sylvania. Better bass than the GEs, but not quite the Sylvanias level of oomph down low.

This amp is, in my opinion, far superior to the 2++, and every one of the tubes I’ve rolled has confirmed that. I will be rolling other compatible tubes in and out, because that’s what I like to do. Whether it’s the higher voltage rails that makes the tube produce more magic, or whatever else Jason did inside, I couldn’t say (nor does my nervosa extend to wanting to speculate on that). I’m seriously impressed.

Oh, and the darn thing looks really great too!

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:21 PM Post #145,069 of 151,879
Apologies in advance, but I’m going to sound off regarding that index card-sized Vali 3 (again)…

Since I posted initial thoughts, I have rolled in GE JAN 5670s (all from the mid-1980s), a Sylvania JAN 5670 (1962) and a WE396A (date ???). I love all three tubes. The WE is the best all around, and it should be, given the prices being charged for them. It has an overall balance to it where everything jus sounds “right”. However, if it’s bass extension you’re looking for, my Sylvania leads the pack. It doesn’t do anything badly, or even just OK, but the bass is more present with that tube.

The GEs are very uniform, and tend to be pretty much a mini 396A. Not quite as phenomenal, just excellent in every aspect.

Forgot I also tried an JRC 5670 made by RCA (1962). This was somewhere between the GEs and the Sylvania. Better bass than the GEs, but not quite the Sylvanias level of oomph down low.

This amp is, in my opinion, far superior to the 2++, and every one of the tubes I’ve rolled has confirmed that. I will be rolling other compatible tubes in and out, because that’s what I like to do. Whether it’s the higher voltage rails that makes the tube produce more magic, or whatever else Jason did inside, I couldn’t say (nor does my nervosa extend to wanting to speculate on that). I’m seriously impressed.

Oh, and the darn thing looks really great too!
Excellent to hear, Mate.
Definitely gonna give it a try after my bank account recovers.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #145,070 of 151,879
The four ears of Mike and Jason are golden.
We are so lucky to have them making great music for all of us to enjoy.
Not a joke.

Not to mention their massive BRAINS! 😏

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:28 PM Post #145,071 of 151,879
Ok you will have it, make sure you like it then we will talk. How tall is your Schiit stack so I can customize the shelves to fit your gear? A photo would be helpful. 🤪 I know of a dry county in Tennessee that I visit, my wife and I had to take our own wine to a resort and they charged us a corking fee during dinner.

Oh and the walnut shelves look great but I may use birdseye maple for the base and frame, the contrast should work well.
I feel inadequate because my Schiit stack has only two items: a MagPi and hidden behind it an older Fulla (MMB2 in my future!).
Here's a picture for everyone to point at and laugh.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/nitsch-x-schiit-magni-piety-impressions-thread.964304/post-17928296

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #145,072 of 151,879
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:32 PM Post #145,073 of 151,879
I was in NC. But hmmmmm....maybe un-smokin' chemistry teachers were the exception in our day? :laughing:
Or, just putting this out there, adolescent hormones made all the female chemistry teachers hot?

Or, maybe, the chemistry teacher was doing something with chemicals to generate the aforementioned "feelings"?

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #145,074 of 151,879
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #145,075 of 151,879
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #145,076 of 151,879
Mar 24, 2024 at 9:35 PM Post #145,077 of 151,879
Didn’t really need it, but I ordered a Vali 2++ at the discounted price. I did some listening at the Schiitr a while back and really liked sound of the Vali 2++ over the Valhalla. The Valhalla sounds great and I might be tempted to get the current or next version at some point, but what I am looking for is something that sounds VERY tubey. Beethoven’s 9th sounded really delicious on it. I suppose I could have gone with a Vali 3 (It wasn’t available then) but I don’t want something that is too “improved” to the point where I’m not getting the sound I was hearing on the 2++. (I’ll listen to the 3 next time I run up to Newhall)

— Edited to remove incorrect information

Yes, Vali 2++ sometimes sound better than Valhalla 2 in different genre.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #145,078 of 151,879
I've appreciated the tube conversations recently . I don't have much experience, other than listening to tube equipment in an audio store (liked what I heard).
Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:36 PM Post #145,079 of 151,879
You have seen his version.IMG_5635.jpeg

Here it is when @FLTWS had it, only one of two sets I made. The other set got split up so this is truly one of a kind.
They look like faces up there: serious cat on left with crazy hair, surprised cat on right.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:42 PM Post #145,080 of 151,879
About as good as the storage space she wants me to rent so I can pay monthly to store a bunch of stuff we'll never use or have a need for again. 🤣
Won a small related victory today: my beloved had been hoarding boxes of magazines, very nicely organized in chronological order, collected over decades. We needed a major cleanup because their storage space was upgraded and repurposed for a home gym. Tomorrow is spring cleanup day here, and all the magazine are nicely stacked on the curb. I paid the price by also discarding my stacks of old skiing mags :beerchug:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back