Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #14,461 of 149,325
  Output power tubes regularly put out temperatures of 175°C or more, and they are left out prominently on top of the chassis to admire. Some amps do have tube cages for those who worry.

True, but tubes can be considered fancy lightbulbs, should be caged for safety (especially if you have children or pets), and will fail early and often if not given adequate ventilation.

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #14,462 of 149,325

I am actualy worried about pets, I have two naughty cats which in principle shouldn't get into the listening room but occasionally manage too - I wonder if the 4 tubes of the Freya can be dangerous? And if so will Schiit offer a matching tube cage?

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #14,463 of 149,325
The tubes on Freya get plenty hot (not measured, I'm afraid, so I can't state definitively.) And no, there won't be a matching cage. Solution: keep pets, small children, and monumentally stupid people away from it.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 4, 2016 at 6:41 PM Post #14,464 of 149,325
  ... monumentally stupid people away from it.

Thank god it comes with a remote.
biggrin.gif

Dec 4, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #14,465 of 149,325
The tubes on Freya get plenty hot (not measured, I'm afraid, so I can't state definitively.) And no, there won't be a matching cage. Solution: keep pets, small children, and monumentally stupid people away from it.

The third group being the most difficult to control.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:50 PM Post #14,467 of 149,325

My cats are smarter than many of my relatives who might just try to touch one of those bright shiny tubes . They know better .

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:08 PM Post #14,468 of 149,325
My cats are smarter than many of my relatives who might just try to touch one of those bright shiny tubes . They know better .

My cats love my tubes, they're so warm and toasty; they love to lie on top of them.

Went to tube roll last week and found my Mjolnir 2 full of cat hair.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #14,470 of 149,325

It is difficult to imagine that some one could be stupid enough to play moth to flame with a tubed device.  But then it is highly probable that every moment of every day, all over the world...The "Theme from Deliverance" is played "live" on the front porch of multiple homes.

Dec 4, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #14,471 of 149,325
 There's a whole lot of people that didn't grow up with tubes and never saw a tube testing station at the drug store or grocery! Even a faint glowing insides should be a clue, to be fair even a counter top toaster oven gets plenty hot to the touch so hopefully they'll catch on. I'd hate to see a disclaimer printed on the remote "Warning tubes are hot to the touch!" It would be fine print.
biggrin.gif
  Hopefully later this week the refresh page will yield a Freya and then we can heat the house with more glowing tubes...

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #14,472 of 149,325

I can only touch the RCA 6SN7 tube in the Saga for less than a second. Any longer will cause my skin to boil.

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:05 PM Post #14,473 of 149,325
   There's a whole lot of people that didn't grow up with tubes and never saw a tube testing station at the drug store or grocery! Even a faint glowing insides should be a clue, to be fair even a counter top toaster oven gets plenty hot to the touch so hopefully they'll catch on. I'd hate to see a disclaimer printed on the remote "Warning tubes are hot to the touch!" It would be fine print.
biggrin.gif
  Hopefully later this week the refresh page will yield a Freya and then we can heat the house with more glowing tubes...

Unless you have hundreds of these tubes, it's only max area of 2 cm radius that the tubes can warm up. Saga BTW does not get warm at all except for the tube of course.

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #14,474 of 149,325
I am actualy worried about pets, I have two naughty cats which in principle shouldn't get into the listening room but occasionally manage too - I wonder if the 4 tubes of the Freya can be dangerous? And if so will Schiit offer a matching tube cage?

Perhaps Schiit will make a cat cage to match your Freya. I guarantee my cat and kids will only touch a tube once!

Dec 4, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #14,475 of 149,325
Perhaps Schiit will make a cat cage to match your Freya. I guarantee my cat and kids will only touch a tube once!

i think, happily, that Jason won't take his eyes off the prize.  Someone else can do a generic tube cage.

My cats have always figured out where the singe limit is and have never hurt themselves -- even the one who pulled the screens open on the fireplace to stick her head near the flames.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back