Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #144,136 of 153,123
MJ3 as a preamp...

...is a worthy experiment, IMHO. The sound is incredibly tube-like, but massively detailed at the same time.

No remote. Who cares, bc when fed by OG Yggy and driving an OG Aegir, it sounds absolutely fantastic. YMMV.

IMG_1580.jpeg
Same here, MJ3 as pre, big improvement when compare with FreyaS👍🏼

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:00 AM Post #144,137 of 153,123
Get a Lyr 3 then. Same great sound, although a tube is required, but no remote so no stepped attenuator.
I'm aware of that but the reviews of the 3 that I've seen put it as a definite downgrade from the Plus. For a first tube amp the Plus is excellent. The next time I'm in the market, a stepped attenuator is going to be a deal breaker. The thing that gave me more pause was reading through the Lyr+ thread and seeing all the amps failing and needing to be sent in for repairs..repeatedly. Definitely would have passed on the Plus in favor of the 3 then. I foolishly assumed that the Plus wasn't a problem child when I bought. Caveat Emptor

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #144,138 of 153,123
I am now thinking that the lower "Schiit" crossmember should be higher and the top shelf should be equal to the base or an inch wider. Tell me what you think, Praise or Criticism are all welcome.

Schiit logo at top could be better, 5 1/4" is tight fit, but the depth is a bit too little that will leave the cables hanging ..... 5 1/2 to 6" will be more stable.

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:02 AM Post #144,139 of 153,123
This photo comes dangerously close to making me reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally want to buy a Lyr with that tube (what ever it is!). It is that "Metropolis" looking. High praise indeed in my itsy bitsy world. Thank you so very much!

It's an Apos Select, but honestly, the Tung Sol that comes with it really isn't bad at all, in spite of what the reviewers all say about it.

Mar 20, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #144,140 of 153,123
I'm aware of that but the reviews of the 3 that I've seen put it as a definite downgrade from the Plus. For a first tube amp the Plus is excellent. The next time I'm in the market, a stepped attenuator is going to be a deal breaker. The thing that gave me more pause was reading through the Lyr+ thread and seeing all the amps failing and needing to be sent in for repairs..repeatedly. Definitely would have passed on the Plus in favor of the 3 then. I foolishly assumed that the Plus wasn't a problem child when I bought. Caveat Emptor
Somehow you read about failing repeatedly and also never read about a stepped attenuator? I think you’re full of Schiit. YMMV I have an 8k generator that fails all the time and never starts during an emergency, contact me for pricing.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #144,141 of 153,123
I envy your ability to start the journey!!! I got to a point where I needed to design amps specifically to my needs and hear every tube money could buy to arrive at a sound that blows my hair back, or what little is left of it.🤪
Yes, it's a fun road to travel. I still remember my start back in '91 shortly after purchasing my first tube amp. Stopped by a small, locally owned electronics shop that had a pretty good quantity of tubes for sale. Didn't know a thing about tubes at that point (let alone substitutions or adapters), but spied some NOS RCA 5AR4's that were direct replacements and bought 4 of them for $5 each. Many would argue (including the amp's designer!) that of all tubes, a rectifier tube wasn't going to make any difference in the sound. My ears didn't agree -- the RCA's were a clearly audible improvement over the stock Chinese tubes. So I went back and bought the other 10 they had on the shelf. Didn't see any real need for rolling and hoarding collecting to be separate activities. 🤣 🤣

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #144,142 of 153,123
Yes, it's a fun road to travel. I still remember my start back in '91 shortly after purchasing my first tube amp. Stopped by a small, locally owned electronics shop that had a pretty good quantity of tubes for sale. Didn't know a thing about tubes at that point (let alone substitutions or adapters), but spied some NOS RCA 5AR4's that were direct replacements and bought 4 of them for $5 each. Many would argue (including the amp's designer!) that of all tubes, a rectifier tube wasn't going to make any difference in the sound. My ears didn't agree -- the RCA's were a clearly audible improvement over the stock Chinese tubes. So I went back and bought the other 10 they had on the shelf. Didn't see any real need for rolling and hoarding collecting to be separate activities. 🤣 🤣
And this is how the journey begins.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #144,143 of 153,123
Somehow you read about failing repeatedly and also never read about a stepped attenuator? I think you’re full of Schiit. YMMV I have an 8k generator that fails all the time and never starts during an emergency, contact me for pricing.
I was well aware of the stepped attenuator when I bought it. The Lyr+ is such a good value(used especially) that I bought it ANYWAY.

Mar 20, 2024 at 9:58 AM Post #144,145 of 153,123
I started working with tube gear as a teen, then later during college friends and I would mess around with mostly Dynaco tube gear, RCA still used some tubes when I hired in there but my work was in solid state. Eventually I bought several solid state amps but none were as appealing as some of the modified Dynaco's I was used to so I eventually made my way back. A master chess player from Latvia whom I competed against regularly would turn on his Dynaco ST 70 with Klipsch speakers as we played and suddenly I was hooked on the sound again but tube gear was less readily available so I had to wait.

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:20 AM Post #144,147 of 153,123
I was well aware of the stepped attenuator when I bought it. The Lyr+ is such a good value(used especially) that I bought it ANYWAY.
I've grown to love the clicks of my Freya N. It's such a cool tactile mechanical sensation. Granted, it's on a shelf some distance from me. If it was sat on a desk almost at my elbow, maybe I'd think differently. :)

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #144,148 of 153,123
I've grown to love the clicks of my Freya N. It's such a cool tactile mechanical sensation. Granted, it's on a shelf some distance from me. If it was sat on a desk almost at my elbow, maybe I'd think differently. :)
I certainly can appreciate the technical improvements that it brings, but I really dislike how adjusting it during playback causes the sound to breakup. It's a hell of a good amp anyway so...I'll take my medicine and just keep listening because any HiFi product that's good enough to get you digging through your library is a winner. I also appreciate that it only needs a single tube so rolling is relatively painless(something which was one of the main reasons I've stayed away from tube gear so long).

Mar 20, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #144,150 of 153,123
I don’t hear any breakup with my Saga+. I wonder if your Lyr needs servicing.
There's some breakup with stepped attenuators, it's par for the course. I happen to also have a Saga+ as well and it also does this. It was something I actively avoided when I bought a Violectric amp awhile back. The Lyr+ is worse than others because of the lag issue that it also has due to the microprocessor controlled relays. I think Wavetheory pointed this out in his review. The lag exacerbates the breakup when making bigger adjustments during play. But it's a really good amp for the money so I'll deal with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back