Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #143,761 of 151,481
Yes. Grocery Stores and convenience stores are beer and wine only.

Imagine my surprise when I went into a 7-11in St. Louis and there behind the counter was a wide assortment of liquors. 😯

BTW - there are Total Wines in TX.
In California, I think there are only two 7-11s that have a hard liquor license, and one of those is within walking distance to my house. While convenient 7-11 is not really the place you want to buy too much of anything (unless you have unlimited money, and I do not). However I have to confess that I have paid for whiskey there on four or five occasions in the last 33 years. You see I, am a cheapskate, not an alcoholic.

And as a cheapskate that has high quality standards, I just hate to pay too much. This is why, I love Schiit products, best sound at the best price. I love Schiit products, some more than others, and some are near life changing. (Yiggy, Tyr), but I never felt that I paid too much, or the product was of a poor quality. I read this form to see if I "need" anything else.

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #143,762 of 151,481
Man, I'm sure glad you posted. Been busy unpacking boxes all day, and when I saw your post a few minutes ago I checked the front porch. Nothing there. Went and looked by the garage, nothing there either. Looked at the UPS tracking, and sure enough it showed delivered. Yesterday my next door neighbor (that I just met the other day -- nice people, yay!) brought me an Amazon box that had been sent via UPS...and delivered to them. So I ran next door, and there's the box sitting on their front porch. Been here a week now and 0 for 3 on UPS -- two delivered next door, and the third one MIA altogether. Glad my Vali 3 is coming USPS.

To the important stuff: gorgeous!! I mean like just perfect! Thanks so much! Haven't made it to the box with the liquor glasses yet, so I'll have to substitute temporarily.

You owe @Paladin79 a sincere apology. For not figuring out where you are!

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2024 at 7:42 PM Post #143,764 of 151,481
Man, I'm sure glad you posted. Been busy unpacking boxes all day, and when I saw your post a few minutes ago I checked the front porch. Nothing there. Went and looked by the garage, nothing there either. Looked at the UPS tracking, and sure enough it showed delivered. Yesterday my next door neighbor (that I just met the other day -- nice people, yay!) brought me an Amazon box that had been sent via UPS...and delivered to them. So I ran next door, and there's the box sitting on their front porch. Been here a week now and 0 for 3 on UPS -- two delivered next door, and the third one MIA altogether. Glad my Vali 3 is coming USPS.

To the important stuff: gorgeous!! I mean like just perfect! Thanks so much! Haven't made it to the box with the liquor glasses yet, so I'll have to substitute temporarily.

Glad you like it, sorry you had an issue. That box should have gone from UPS to USPS just like many Amazon packages. Economy rate. At least you knew where to look.🤪

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:46 PM Post #143,765 of 151,481
As a bonus, there is no better place in the US to get tacos than Wisconsin. 🤣 :laughing:

Seriously, brats and cheese curds (any cheese, really) is what I miss most from my time there. Oh, and the bars. One on every street corner. Worked for me. :laughing:
So, your witness protection program identity is that poor that you------?

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #143,766 of 151,481
As a bonus, there is no better place in the US to get tacos than Wisconsin. 🤣 :laughing:

Seriously, brats and cheese curds (any cheese, really) is what I miss most from my time there. Oh, and the bars. One on every street corner. Worked for me. :laughing:
Yeah, everyone knows you go to Chicago for Tacos.

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #143,767 of 151,481
Sound quality-wise, Apple Music is very good, it's just tricky getting it bit-perfect depending on what device you are streaming with. iOS is good with a USB3 Camera Kit, MacOS is lame because it lacks auto-switching for bitrates - you have to change it manually for each track or album (like if one album is 24/88.2 and another is 24/96, it doesn't automatically detect that and change it's output. Yeah, lame.)

AirPlay is also super gimpy in their proprietary implementation of it, and it will never give you full hi-res output, though it doesn't actually sound bad per se. I also dislike Apple Music's UX. [The Apple Classical app is actually great, however, because it came from someone else. 🤪 ]

Qobuz is awesome and their app is more logical and more fun to use, plus they offer pdf liner notes for many albums (mostly Classical) and very detailed credits. Sound quality is amazing, and probably considered the best service by more users who have tried them all. No Connect function but it is coming maybe by end of year.

I have a Cambridge Audio MXN10 streamer and utilizing their generally excellent StreamMagic app, it works far, far better with Qobuz than with Apple, primarily because AirPlay sucks and that's the only interface you can use for Apple

I have no experience with Tidal.

EDIT: Qobuz also has much more journalistic content, from magazine articles penned by their writers to various features of gear that they like. It's a really cool app!
Yep. As somebody who's tried spotify, tidal, and amazon, qobuz has been a revelation. 1st streaming service I really clicked with. Their algorithm seems much better than Tidal's.

And, RE: Airplay, I hadn't realized until recently that the newer version (version 2?) of Airplay tends to be lossy, while the older version was lossless cd quality. Apparently there are ways to get around this with Airplay 2, and, truth be told, it was a bit of a toss up for me when a/b'ing version 1 and version 2 in shairport-sync on my raspberry pi, fed by Qobuz.

Mar 17, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #143,768 of 151,481
i don’t own a pre amp. i take it a need a pre amp and one of my current amps or another schiit?
If you just want to see how the old gear sounds on a trial basis you could by a Sys. Use it as a passive pre amp between your vintage gear and your amp.

If you decide it's really great then you can go for an active one, any of the little head amps can also be a pre and you can get more inputs by using your Sys. You can always find a use for a Sys!

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #143,769 of 151,481
Sound quality-wise, Apple Music is very good, it's just tricky getting it bit-perfect depending on what device you are streaming with. iOS is good with a USB3 Camera Kit, MacOS is lame because it lacks auto-switching for bitrates - you have to change it manually for each track or album (like if one album is 24/88.2 and another is 24/96, it doesn't automatically detect that and change it's output. Yeah, lame.)

AirPlay is also super gimpy in their proprietary implementation of it, and it will never give you full hi-res output, though it doesn't actually sound bad per se. I also dislike Apple Music's UX. [The Apple Classical app is actually great, however, because it came from someone else. 🤪 ]

Qobuz is awesome and their app is more logical and more fun to use, plus they offer pdf liner notes for many albums (mostly Classical) and very detailed credits. Sound quality is amazing, and probably considered the best service by more users who have tried them all. No Connect function but it is coming maybe by end of year.

I have a Cambridge Audio MXN10 streamer and utilizing their generally excellent StreamMagic app, it works far, far better with Qobuz than with Apple, primarily because AirPlay sucks and that's the only interface you can use for Apple

I have no experience with Tidal.

EDIT: Qobuz also has much more journalistic content, from magazine articles penned by their writers to various features of gear that they like. It's a really cool app!
Thanks! Your comments are exactly the kind of data I’m looking for. And from people whose opinions I trust.

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:13 PM Post #143,771 of 151,481
You owe @Paladin79 a sincere apology. For not figuring out where you are!
Seriously. I mean how hard is it to find "Yellow Pacer, Target parking lot"? Seems like even UPS could deliver correctly. :laughing:

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #143,772 of 151,481
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:21 PM Post #143,773 of 151,481
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #143,774 of 151,481
Bought a couple of new ChiFi 'Audiophile' level power cords. ....

Here's the link in case you wish to assuage your case of FOMO.

https://a.co/d/hPXXNcn

😉
Nice! They need to come in custom colors or custom colored terminators. Or should I just shrink wrap them?

Mar 17, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #143,775 of 151,481
... alcohol tax in the country. ...
There's a documentary on Netflix about alcohol and Prohibition that my youngest watched on loop, it seemed.

Up until Prohibition it claimed that the Federal government was almost entirely funded by taxes on alcohol. Talk about addictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back