Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 16, 2024 at 1:22 PM Post #143,386 of 151,914
More of a composition issue since I do not get the same result from US or British tubes from the same time period. The only comparison I can make between light bulbs and tubes is they are both finite. I need to get busy so others can explain audio tube burn in.🤪🤪
Nice deflection. I'm not going there either. 🤣

1710609739581.png

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:25 PM Post #143,387 of 151,914
Mar 16, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #143,388 of 151,914
The heater current is quite a bit higher with a 6SN7 than the stock tube that comes with the 2, 2+, 2++ and 3. So I'll just answer by saying that I haven't had any problems at all running a 6SN7 (and/or 7N7) in my OG 2 for quite some time. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I can't say "yeah, no problem" and then find out I'm running right on the bleeding edge and have just been lucky.

Maybe Jason will chime in on this, but I understand if he prefers not to.
Thanks.
More of a question for the Vli 2++ and 3. I have neither of these - currently
The 2 and 2+ (and OG Lyr) sound good and appear to run fine with 6SN7.
If a Vali 3 magically replaced a 2 or 2+; will 6SN7 remain a unsanctioned option?

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #143,389 of 151,914
Got a Yggy GS2 on loan from a friend which I've been really impressed with for the price. It sounds a little lean vs the dacs that I'm more used to, both the Bricasti MC1 and the Meitner MA3, but it has a great sense of depth and layering. It also has pretty decent texture especially in the low end. I just find the overall weight of the sound and the bass quantity to be less then I'd like ideally. Makes me interested in trying an OG/A2 at some point. Incredible value though and I'd be happy using it on it's own if I wasn't switching between the other dacs.

Friend who loaned it wanted me to put all my Schiit together in the rack. It's a tight fit in parts but is all wired up and works well. MJ3 is mostly there for show and am worried it would overheat like that. Am driving tungsten with Urd -> Yggy -> Kara -> Tyrs. The top Tyr gets a little warm but is running fine otherwise.

schiitmax.jpg
epic schiit stack

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #143,390 of 151,914
Screenshot 2024-03-17 at 01.49.14.png

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #143,391 of 151,914
I'm trying to learn more about tubes and compatibilities and whatnot. Has there ever been posted here (or anywhere) maybe a pdf chart breaking down the different tube families and compatibilities, broken down by noval and octal and... ? Or a reference book available on Amazon?

It'd be cool to have a handy reference to glance at when all of you tube smarties are throwing out various tubes you love to recommend / avoid / make fun of. 😝

I've done some preliminary searches in these forums and elsewhere and am not really finding the resource I'm hoping for.

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #143,392 of 151,914
I'm trying to learn more about tubes and compatibilities and whatnot. Has there ever been posted here (or anywhere) maybe a pdf chart breaking down the different tube families and compatibilities, broken down by noval and octal and... ? Or a reference book available on Amazon?

It'd be cool to have a handy reference to glance at when all of you tube smarties are throwing out various tubes you love to recommend / avoid / make fun of. 😝

I've done some preliminary searches in these forums and elsewhere and am not really finding the resource I'm hoping for.
May be this helps. https://frank.pocnet.net/

Mar 16, 2024 at 1:55 PM Post #143,393 of 151,914
Thanks.
More of a question for the Vli 2++ and 3. I have neither of these - currently
The 2 and 2+ (and OG Lyr) sound good and appear to run fine with 6SN7.
If a Vali 3 magically replaced a 2 or 2+; will 6SN7 remain a unsanctioned option?
Unsanctioned? Perfect word for it! You'll need a different adapter of course. I will be trying a 6SN7 in my Vali 3. That's all I can confirm with full confidence. 🤣

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #143,394 of 151,914
The heater current is quite a bit higher with a 6SN7 than the stock tube that comes with the 2, 2+, 2++ and 3. So I'll just answer by saying that I haven't had any problems at all running a 6SN7 (and/or 7N7) in my OG 2 for quite some time. Probably not the answer you were looking for, but I can't say "yeah, no problem" and then find out I'm running right on the bleeding edge and have just been lucky.

Maybe Jason will chime in on this, but I understand if he prefers not to.
600mA heaters are fine. Just no more (as in, no 6N6P via adapters, etc).

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Mar 16, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #143,395 of 151,914

I use books like Tube Lore as well as RCA and Sylvania manuals dating back to the fifties. I studied tube theory in college but would be hard pressed to find those stone tablets right now. :ksc75smile:

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:10 PM Post #143,396 of 151,914
This might almost be too deep for what I'm looking for. So many tubes! Haha But definitely a link to keep handy if I want to deep-dive into any specific tubes. Thanks, @Ohno Schiitizen!

I guess I'm hoping for more of a quick-reference guide for popular audio tube types so I can start learning the various families and compatibilities that many people here seem to know off the top of their heads. Which is very impressive!

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #143,397 of 151,914
Speaking of tubes, I go back and forth. Sometimes it’s just too much of a good thing. Other times, like now, tubes turn very good music into music that lovingly wraps itself around you. A few albums I’ve listened to lately that have been beautifully enriched by the Freya+ are “My Funny Valentine” (concert album by Miles Davis), “Night Train” by the Oscar Peterson Trio, “Time Out Of Mind” by Bob Dylan, “Here It Is: A Tribute to Leonard Cohen”

I don’t really see where I would use a Vali 3 but I’m thinking about it. It looks like a really nice amp for a small system. I don’t need more Schiit, but I really want it.

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #143,398 of 151,914
This might almost be too deep for what I'm looking for. So many tubes! Haha But definitely a link to keep handy if I want to deep-dive into any specific tubes. Thanks, @Ohno Schiitizen!

I guess I'm hoping for more of a quick-reference guide for popular audio tube types so I can start learning the various families and compatibilities that many people here seem to know off the top of their heads. Which is very impressive!

This is the place to get a guide or information, most of the tube lovers here are very friendly, but be aware, once you step in the tube world ... it hardly can stop ..... :ksc75smile:

Mar 16, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #143,399 of 151,914

Users who are viewing this thread

Back