Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 14, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #143,026 of 154,081
I am terribly eager for Qobuz Connect. Can't come soon enough.
Yeah, I haven't been able to find much in the way of details since finding out about it today, but it's supposed to eventually be an open standard, right?

Looked into the mpd qobuz integration but that's pretty much deprecated as far as I can tell.

Mar 14, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #143,027 of 154,081
Yeah, I haven't been able to find much in the way of details since finding out about it today, but it's supposed to eventually be an open standard, right?

Looked into the mpd qobuz integration but that's pretty much deprecated as far as I can tell.
All I've heard about it was from the admin of the Qobuz Club forum who stated some time ago that the feature was definitely in the works. Haven't been on there in a little while so I'm not aware of any updates on that end.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #143,028 of 154,081
I'm a huge Pat Metheny fan and I remember when I read his comments about Kenny G (that was long time ago) I really lost some respect for Pat.
Someone I know well told me a story about being somewhere (a bar, I think) with Pat, a long time ago. Some guy suggested that Pat played smooth jazz. It did not go well...

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:30 AM Post #143,029 of 154,081
I am a fan of Pat Metheny - does that make me a bad person?
No. The only time (I think) that I heard him live was outdoors at a winery in the Santa Cruz Mountains. He had a great band, especially Antonio Sanchez on drums. Memorable.

Mar 14, 2024 at 2:44 AM Post #143,030 of 154,081
Maybe the missile has an Instagram page and its popularity is determined by the number of followers. :thinking:
That feels strange.. I always thought the missiles themselves were followers..

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 2:59 AM Post #143,031 of 154,081
I have many CD re-issues of those RCA’s and Mercury’s that I can race; and the LPs are better (to ME)
Some of the RCA Living Stereo recordings were remastered for SACD (88.2 kHz) and are available digitally. They sound better (to me) than the corresponding CDs. Some favorite Reiner/CSO issues:

Screenshot 2024-03-13 at 11.48.10 PM.png

Mar 14, 2024 at 3:10 AM Post #143,032 of 154,081
Interesting. I have known of 50 people comparing audio gear in blind studies and the results closely matched my own. One young woman’s score matched the precise outcome of the entire group in one session. The comparisons were based on 25 musical criteria.
As someone who has been professionally involved in human evaluations of certain products: yes, if the criteria are carefully chosen, and the evaluators properly trained in understanding the criteria, you can get low-variance evaluations, and some "super-evaluators" can do a lot better than the average careful evaluator. But that's a very different scenario from the typical discussion in forums, where human and situation variability dominate.

Mar 14, 2024 at 7:27 AM Post #143,034 of 154,081
I am part of the Bluebird Sapheria Team !! - the small car in front of K7 is Sapheria a jet / electric hybrid vehicle ,that we built as an educational demonstration tool for UK students studying engineering and suchlike - the Campbell family trust have fully backed the project !! our new car nearing completion Bluebird Aero is a carbon fibre monocoque a full 75 kgs lighter and of a modified NACA 0020 profile in planform !!

Sapheria and K7.jpg

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:13 AM Post #143,035 of 154,081
Great anecdote!

A question: how is the popularity of an air-to-ground missile determined?

The above matches my experience in big Pharma (brief stint, thank goodness!). Everything is calculated and calibrated to the N'th degree. And then the people on the ground just do whatever to get the stuff through the process.
Popular= we made a lot of them for a period of over 20 years.

Mar 14, 2024 at 8:44 AM Post #143,036 of 154,081
I helped Jason set up one such test involving tubes, in that case it was double blind because the person plugging in the tubes did not know their identity. It was sealed till after the fact. @bcowen showed he could identify several tubes because he had heard them before. The problem is that sometimes you have expectation bias. Compare a tube selling for $1,000 compared to one selling for $20 knowing which is which, and tell me which is better? You know wine, you can probably recall an experiment where the same wine was in two bottles, one was marked with a higher price. Price labels were swapped back and forth and people kept voting for the higher price label, when tasted. Without people knowing price you would be surprised how well a lesser priced DAC or amp or tube might do. I like blind studies for that reason, ceteris paribus.
I do believe that expectation bias is real and especially in the audio world.

The former president of my company did blind taste testing of vodkas and proved repeatedly that Smirnoff was the best, even over Grey Goose and Ketel One. Of course, the vodkas were all chilled to 0C prior to tasting. :)

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:19 AM Post #143,037 of 154,081

The former president of my company did blind taste testing of vodkas and proved repeatedly that Smirnoff was the best, even over Grey Goose and Ketel One. Of course, the vodkas were all chilled to 0C prior to tasting. :)
Most in my local group have a background in science or engineering and as I recall when you take the average of a large group it is generally more accurate than any one individual in the group. I want to say even our jury system is based on that. I know which 6SN7 tubes get a lot of attention. A really great sales job was done with the Sylvania Bad Boy, etc. The same can occur in bourbons, or vodka or wine. Even rarity can drive a price up and affect the consumer’s belief in a product.

One man stating that a high price fuse sounds better with him knowing which is which is not very convincing to me. If he could pick that fuse blindly, and on a repeated basis from say a group of eight, then I would be impressed.🤪 Now that being said, I do not let anyone influence what I buy in audio. My ears, my choice but if a large enough group rates a certain piece of equipment highly, I certainly do not mind giving that item a listen. 😉

In a larger sense what my group does is compile a larger selection of equipment than I could hear on any sales floor. And it is done in such a way that we are not being influenced by brand or price tag.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #143,038 of 154,081
Screenshot 2024-03-14 at 21.20.02.png

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:25 AM Post #143,039 of 154,081

I remember beating the Pepsi Challenge to the chagrin of the folks running stands back in the day.

Coke forever

Mar 14, 2024 at 9:48 AM Post #143,040 of 154,081
Having conducted some blind fuse tests with high end fuses vs standard, I can only laugh but each to their own.

A thin piece of wire ... will melt at a certain amperage .. thats all.... and still a bottleneck.... how can it improves sound?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back