Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:49 PM Post #142,786 of 151,179
@Jason Stoddard

Love the Syn in my system, and not missing the AV Processor one bit to be honest.
It's very easy to tweak the sound and it just gets out of the way for the most part.
I do have a question on the "Width" control though.

Syn provides the following setup controls:
  • Center Level
  • Surround Level
  • Width (add or remove L+R content from mains with special mix, frequency shaped on headphone only)
  • Presence (increase or decrease 2kHz band)

From the intro chapter you say ADD or REMOVE from the mains. The REMOVE part is very easy to hear on speakers, and using remove on movies, for sure focusses the centre channel.

What is the ADD part though? Follow up question, is the centre position on the Width control neither adding or removing?

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #142,787 of 151,179
I prefer the Douk
Why, thank you, pilgrim. :wink:

1710283919736.png

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:52 PM Post #142,788 of 151,179
bro EVERY game, and I do mean every, is on max settings lol. I used to take great pride in tweaking game settings into better performance but with the highest picture quality i could get for whatever frame rate target- typically 120 in 4k.
The 4090 just brute forces everything lolol.
I am looking forward to a few Unreal Engine 5 games coming soon and that's when ole Bessie will prove her worth.
For instance, Dune Awakening looks super good!

Ole Bessie- always can be counted on for fresh cream!
4090 gang gang
Dude.

Didn't you just get a new Gungnir? That's what I was referring to.

Mar 12, 2024 at 6:54 PM Post #142,789 of 151,179
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #142,790 of 151,179
RCAs to the left of me. Ratheons to the right. Here I am, stuck in the middle with Brimar. 😛

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #142,791 of 151,179

I'm not a fan of Kenny G, but I really like a handful of tunes from him. I think they are really beautiful/touching melodies that bring a smile to my face, and that's what matters to me regardless all that conversation about being or not being jazz/pop/whatever.

In the other hand, I'm a huge Pat Metheny fan and I remember when I read his comments about Kenny G (that was long time ago) I really lost some respect for Pat. Crapping on other musicians not only make you look like a snob but it's also pretty harsh considering Kenny G (like many other musicians) is just doing his thing without messing with anyone.

The worst part is later Pat apologized for those comments, which made him look like a fool twice, cause nobody knows for sure if he was being sincere or not.

I can understand having that "my music taste is better than yours" attitude when you're 14 years old or so, but if you continue to act like that being a grown man, IMO there's something wrong with you. If on top of that, you're an amazing musician as Metheny, it's worse cause he should be the first one to realize the world is big enough to have as many musicians and styles coexisting without any issues.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:04 PM Post #142,792 of 151,179
EDIT: I apologize for my original dumbass post. Apparently I thought it was directed at my prior post. @Oveja Negra set me straight.

We now return to our regularly scheduled program.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #142,793 of 151,179
Does anyone think my wife will notice the new Gungnir? I tried hiding it under the Freya N 😂
IMG_3313.jpeg
(And yes, it's not a great picture, the sun is not helping at the moment.)
LOVE my Freya-N and Gumby pair. Joy!

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:23 PM Post #142,794 of 151,179
I was kidding. Apparently you failed to read or understand my follow-up post. I appreciate his skill and musicianship. I just don't appreciiate most of his music and hold nothing against those that do. A classic case of IMHO and YMMV. I'm glad you love some of his music and I know there are many that do like it all.

The world is a big place and music genres and styles is vast. Plenty of room for everyone and their preferences. I would never dislike anyone because of the music they love or claim to be superior - even if it is not in my wheelhouse.

I apologize if my joking came across as my taste in music being superior, but I won't apologize for my tastes. And I do not expect anyone else to either.
It's all good. Now go put on some Dave Sanborn

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:24 PM Post #142,795 of 151,179
I'm not a fan of Kenny G, but I really like a handful of tunes from him. I think they are really beautiful/touching melodies that bring a smile to my face, and that's what matters to me regardless all that conversation about being or not being jazz/pop/whatever.

In the other hand, I'm a huge Pat Metheny fan and I remember when I read his comments about Kenny G (that was long time ago) I really lost some respect for Pat. Crapping on other musicians not only make you look like a snob but it's also pretty harsh considering Kenny G (like many other musicians) is just doing his thing without messing with anyone.

The worst part is later Pat apologized for those comments, which made him look like a fool twice, cause nobody knows for sure if he was being sincere or not.

I can understand having that "my music taste is better than yours" attitude when you're 14 years old or so, but if you continue to act like that being a grown man, IMO there's something wrong with you. If on top of that, you're an amazing musician as Metheny, it's worse cause he should be the first one to realize the world is big enough to have as many musicians and styles coexisting without any issues.
For me, listening to Kenny G. is akin to eating Kellogg's Frosted Flakes with maple syrup instead of milk. But I also loathe when Jazz musicians just blow a bunch of random notes for minutes at a time before (if ever) returning to the melody they claim to be playing! WTI, indeed! I despise that as much as I hate (the aptly named) "scat" and "runs" "singing".

If I wanted to hear someone play or sing badly I would do so my self. YUCK!

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #142,796 of 151,179
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:32 PM Post #142,798 of 151,179
MJ3 is freaking magic, both as a HP amp and as a line preamplifier. 5 stars, heartily recommended, would buy again... <g>
Now, now, settle down. People have been waiting months for theirs. You can wait a while before buying another one.

But yeah. 5 stars only? I'd give it 7 on a scale of 1-5...

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #142,799 of 151,179
... Could be the new toroidal xformer. ...
Was reading about some high end amp where the designers said, essentially, "toroid xformers are meh, need "
O type transformer is simply smaller and better for this application.
whatever that is. Gjallarhorn with O type transformer for a gigawatt of output and also matches my blood type, which I'd need to sell to afford such a thing.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #142,800 of 151,179

Users who are viewing this thread

Back