Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 12, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #142,742 of 152,718
I'll post up my thoughts of Aegir 2 vs GHorn mono-blocks later this evening. It'll be brief and of course heavy on IMHO and YMMV. 😉

Nice, thank you.
By the way, what speakers you are driving? say ohms and sensitivity?

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #142,743 of 152,718
I'll quit beating this dead horse but first I need to mention a couple of things. First, no system can recreate a live orchestra (although an MBL Extreme system can come close) and even then, it will be recreating a recording, meaning whatever the mics picked up and the engineer/producer/mastering mixer decided to put on the recording.
A pair of properly installed Wilson Chronosonics can do the same, with the right supporting gear, which points to a system cost of close to / just over $1M US - not counting the room that was designed to house the gear. I have experienced the extreme luxury of critically listening to a system just like this, and I was properly stunned/gobsmacked/goose-bumped while listening to several tracks that I (thought I) knew well...

But I also heard that same system sound like massively overbaked schiit on a couple of bad recordings, so... YMMV. <g>

My B&Ws present a wide, solid "stage" with good recordings, and can cause one to suspend belief when playing a small handful of tracks. But it's icing on the cake for me, because my gear can only reproduce what's actually recorded/mixed/mastered, as stated above by others.

It's a cool pursuit, though. I'm into small tweeks now w/r/t gear, cabling and the like. Remaining large-scale tasks will include modifications to the room and additional acoustic treatments to reduce reverberation time (T60) and eliminate some standing wave issues. Even a very simple, (relatively) low cost system can sound magnificent in a properly prepared space... and like bad schiit in a reverberant room.

I just like listening to music, and when it sounds exceptionally good, it simply gives me more joy.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #142,744 of 152,718
I have that lp.
My old cover band used to do the title tune. I played a 4-string bass and had to drop-tune it to play that synth bass line...oy.
The title track "A Real Mother for Ya" sounds pretty spectacular on Qobuz, right here, right now!

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #142,745 of 152,718
The title track "A Real Mother for Ya" sounds pretty spectacular on Qobuz, right here, right now!

That song and album, I heard it from radio, at that time my English is not good at all, do not understand all that means, made me think of some bad things at that time ..... :beyersmile:

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:33 PM Post #142,746 of 152,718
I just like listening to music, and when it sounds exceptionally good, it simply gives me more joy.
This is the goal, IMO.

Mar 12, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #142,747 of 152,718
That song and album, I heard it from radio, at that time my English is not good at all, do not understand all that means, made me think of some bad things at that time ..... :beyersmile:
Mama Mia!

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:12 PM Post #142,749 of 152,718
67 degrees f here, Finnegan is outside with me, all current projects are completed. Time to kick back and enjoy some music. IMG_7505.jpeg

Oh and I suppose I should ship @bcowen his flight board now that he has parked next to a mail box in a dust storm.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:14 PM Post #142,750 of 152,718
67 degrees f here, Finnegan is outside with me, all current projects are completed. Time to kick back and enjoy some music. IMG_7505.jpeg
Finnegan looks angry. Did you make him go outside? :slight_smile:

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #142,751 of 152,718
Finnegan looks angry. Did you make him go outside? :slight_smile:
I made him turn his head for the photo. I said “sardines” and he became peeved when I had none.
IMG_7509.jpeg

Apparently I was in his chair as well.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #142,753 of 152,718
I made him turn his head for the photo. I said “sardines” and he became peeved when I had none.
That was mean. I hope he brings you a ‘present’ out of his litter box tonight. :slight_smile:

Mar 12, 2024 at 3:24 PM Post #142,754 of 152,718
Hey, Jason, how about coming up with a SchiiTuner, in all your spare time...
031124marantztuner.jpg Here's some vinspiration...
(Like that? It's my contraction of vintage inspiration)
And this one even had an oscilloscope, even cooler than VU meters.

I don't think Jason is FM forward. I was stumping for one a few years back and even mocked one up with a magic eye tuner. It's the only post of mine Jason ever deleted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back