Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 11, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #142,681 of 151,306
What is insane is a night in July a couple of years ago I had to go pick up my step son from work. I was waiting for him to close and listening to the radio. I thought some of the music was odd for this local station. Nope, I was picking up a skip from a station in Tampa Bay Florida! I was in central Wisconsin! This was on the FM dial 101.5
damn.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #142,683 of 151,306
Everything is bigger in Texas, including their transmitting towers. :smile:
A taller tower is effective but the big help was the advent of 'clear channel'. Small stations went off-air around sundown and larger stations that could afford the extra fees would boost output to the level of 50,000 watts, some even more as time passed by.
Since they were the only station broadcasting on that frequency, all that mattered was how sensitive was the receiver thousands of miles away. When I was 2 feet small, I remember my grandfather running a wire from the truck radio to the fences surrounding his pastures. His garage was the weekend gathering place to listen to WSM, the first clear channel radio station.

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:30 PM Post #142,685 of 151,306
What is insane is a night in July a couple of years ago I had to go pick up my step son from work. I was waiting for him to close and listening to the radio. I thought some of the music was odd for this local station. Nope, I was picking up a skip from a station in Tampa Bay Florida! I was in central Wisconsin! This was on the FM dial 101.5
Well, the earth is basically flat that side of the Rocky Mountains, so... 😉

Mar 11, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #142,686 of 151,306
Mar 11, 2024 at 8:47 PM Post #142,687 of 151,306
Just ask Barbie. 😉
We asked Ken. He said you weren’t allowed around Barbie anymore. He didn’t elaborate, but we all kinda know why. :smile:

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #142,689 of 151,306
Midge is a compulsive liar and crack addict. She never got over the fact that Ken and Barbie are together and that I spurned her to be Barbie's side-piece. 🙄

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 9:08 PM Post #142,690 of 151,306
It's not about the system, it's about our interaction with it.
I missed a couple days and at least 300 posts so may not be following this exactly and understanding little, as usual.:)

Inspite of people hearing differently let's imagine a loyal Schiit Hi-Fi enthusiast that's been tinkering at building a 2 channel system.

The HiFi enthusiast has a Freya, 2 Tyrs, a pair of floor standers of reasonable quality readily available speakers well positioned in a reasonably appointed room and a Modius balanced DAC.

The next purchase is a Yggy MIB.

If the enthusiast exclaims, "the Yggy sounds better! The instruments sound better. I can pick them out better on my favorite tunes than with the Modius". Was the individual "interacting" possibly or primarily with the fact that it's a new purchase, and it's a Yggy? Next, a quirk of the randomness of the universe, 100 loyal Schiitheads stop by one by one for a listen, they're told Yggy has 100 hours of play time, they all sit in the same position, just the individual, not a room full of loyal Schiitheads to change up reflections, and they compare the Yggy to the Modius and they all say "yes, I like the Yggy better it sounds 'gooder'! :)The music just sounds more good!"

Are they hearing or "interacting" the same because they want to hear or "interact" that way because it's a Yggy?

If individuals buy new gear, replace a speaker element or roll in some new tubes and they enjoy their music more seems like a win for the individual whatever the truth of the matter. :)

in terms of evaluating audio equipment or systems...
...soundstage is irrelevant.

Ok point taken. In Jason latest chapter he reported that the new Aegir "slaughters" the old Aegir, and that not one person preferred the old Aegir.

It sounds convincing. I only know the results of what Jason reported. I believe him. I have ok amps and much better sounding amps and have experienced that kind of thing. But it's only for me and me alone? Factoring out the hyperbole, in proper "evaluation" technique what "evaluations" would you use to validate the superiority of one amp over another.

In that regard what is the proper way to "evaluate systems". How does one properly go about it? Or any other equipment. How many on this thread know the proper way? And, for instance, can filter out "soundstage", whatever that is, out of the equation for proper "evaluation". I surely do not but am genuinely curious as to what it is. :)

Mar 11, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #142,691 of 151,306
Midge is a compulsive liar and crack addict. She never got over the fact that Ken and Barbie are together and that I spurned her to be Barbie's side-piece. 🙄
When I hear my wife tell the story of how she never had a Barbie and only a Midge I yearn for four Yorkshire women to gather and share their woes.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #142,692 of 151,306
We asked Ken. He said you weren’t allowed around Barbie anymore. He didn’t elaborate, but we all kinda know why. :smile:
I'm Ken.

And, yes, y'all stay away from Bae.

Mar 11, 2024 at 10:20 PM Post #142,693 of 151,306
If you've ever seen Ken in a Speedo, you'd know it's because he feels rather inadequate when I'm around Barbae. 😉

Last edited:
Mar 11, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #142,694 of 151,306
Ok. I know I said I was done with posting music suggestions, but I have to share this one. This is it. Pinky promise.

1000004914.jpg

Mar 11, 2024 at 11:07 PM Post #142,695 of 151,306
Old memories, I also listen to AM radio at night, put it under the pillow to get a warmer sound, (also) it will not leak out sound which can alert my mother to scold me.
The only thing I can think of that’s warmer than AM radio is an AM radio under a pillow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back