Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 10, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #142,561 of 151,799
My point about sound stage is it is not universal; it is a result of perception and varies user to user. What you hear I may not and vice versa. Some people talk about it like it's an amplifier's power rating - fixed as part of the design - which is most certainly is not. Anyone who says "this system creates a great sound stage" should add "to me with my setup using this recording."

Recordings are mixed to create psychoacoustic effects such as instrument placement, stereo separation. reverb and delay, and many other electronic mixing techniques that will make one recording sound different from another. Users often interpret this as "sound stage." But it is a perception of acoustic phenomenon, and will change depending on things like speaker placement, system design such as driver number and spacing, room reflectivity, listener position, etc.
But you lost me with your point that “soundstage may or may not have no meaning”. It clearly HAS meaning, the question is how much and to whom. If it had NO meaning, Stereo itself would fail to function.

But, to my more specific point, in a system optimized towards its ability to reproduce acoustic (not amplified instruments) instruments real sound in a real space (i.e. “The Absolute Sound”, as it were) will produce an excellent soundstage, when (and only when):

1. The recording itself was done minimally, with careful miking, etc.
2. The music was recorded live/“all of a piece” (i.e. no multi-channel mixing, blending in separate instruments asynchronously recorded, etc.)
3. It was no subject to any intentional processing or alteration. No, pure wire with gain doesn’t exist, but that’s what makes this HARD
4. It is played back on a speaker (or headphone, but I’m not yet certain ANY HP can do proper/full 3D soundstaging) capable of coherence, in time, and frequency response, and appropriate for the playback space.

In my experience the last 40 years, Planars do the best 3D soundstages. Others opinions obviously vary. That doesn’t matter. Pretty much any/everyone I’ve ever had hear my system experiences a full, 3D soundstage that, on familiar recordings (especially in familiar venues), has them also experiencing the same thing I do.

This is what makes listening to live, un-amplified music so critical. For Many years, I’d go to things like the BSO, and then go home and play the same music (obviously not always to have an exact match - might be different conductor, or whatever) on my system… and carefully compare/learn. I always did it with classical.

That is how I ended up with the system I have used for 34 years now. I *know* (that for me and my tastes/perceptions) it is going to be unlikely to improve the systems sound wrt: soundstaging in particular. It’s my current “reference”. I can take people TO the concert hall and they can close their eyes and suspend their disbelief. But it only works on people who know/love Classical enough to be familiar with how it sounds in real life.

And, also why it freaks me out to consider changing anything. Because I no longer have the ability to “re-calibrate” with reality. I don’t get to the symphony much anymore (alas). Great example: I recently had to deal with the caps in my Classe’ pre-amp failing in the line-stage (phono pre still worked via tape outs). So, in two steps I replaced it. Step one was just getting an old Levinson/Proceed AVP1 to use as a balanced line stage. Kept using the DR6 phono via tape out to the AVP1, and thence, balanced to the Classe’ DR9/Apogees. But it didn’t sound RIGHT to me. Staging was compressed, especially in depth from what I REMEMBERED (I couldn’t A/B after all).

So when I saw Kara, and then shortly Skoll, I said, heck, I’ll give them a try. They’re cheap enough. And you know what, the magic was back! If anything better than I remember, but no way of knowing that.

Hopefully in mid-year, I’ll come due on my techs calendar for him to recap the Classe’ and then I can do a proper A/B and see which is better/more real soundstaging-wise.

But, TL;DR version: Soundstaging in any stereo system is a thing. It exists. The only question is to what degree (L/R, U/D, F/B) and to what degree across which listener. A system with NO soundstaging would be a flat, narrow, short “hole” of sound coming from a point in space… and that would suck.

Mar 10, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #142,562 of 151,799
Indeed, sound stage is real to those who can hear it, and in the recordings that generate the effect. But it has no meaning in terms of evaluating audio equipment or systems since it is subjective. But what you or I experience is certainly real to us. It's experiential, as you described.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #142,563 of 151,799
6N1P? same as Valhalla input tubes?
So the parabolic dish like recess can reflect some heat to the tip of the tube ....
Yes. And the tube base/socket is motorized and can rotate at variable speeds (switch is on the back) producing a disco ball effect. :wink:

Mar 10, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #142,564 of 151,799
Yes. And the tube base/socket is motorized and can rotate at variable speeds (switch is on the back) producing a disco ball effect. :wink:

Dizzy ...... :ksc75smile:

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:05 PM Post #142,566 of 151,799
My point about sound stage is it is not universal; it is a result of perception and varies user to user. What you hear I may not and vice versa. Some people talk about it like it's an amplifier's power rating - fixed as part of the design - which is most certainly is not. Anyone who says "this system creates a great sound stage" should add "to me with my setup using this recording."

Recordings are mixed to create psychoacoustic effects such as instrument placement, stereo separation. reverb and delay, and many other electronic mixing techniques that will make one recording sound different from another. Users often interpret this as "sound stage." But it is a perception of acoustic phenomenon, and will change depending on things like speaker placement, system design such as driver number and spacing, room reflectivity, listener position, etc.
:thumbsup:

The biggest effect/causal-agent I have personally experienced is related to phase. If something in phase is off, I hear the craziest placements: Ella Fitzgerald singing from the kitchen one floor down on the other side of the condo, drums coming from the wall opposite where the speakers are... you name it!

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #142,567 of 151,799
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:13 PM Post #142,568 of 151,799
Would that cut down on tube warmup time? Vali 3, hear the music 20% faster!

Will someone create a tube warming blanket to keep the tube warm at all time...? :ksc75smile:

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #142,570 of 151,799
Here's an odd thing:

Been doing some needledrops for "irreplaceable" LPs I have. Listening carefully to the lead-in and between-track spaces so as to know where to cut and apply noise reduction I hear...

crickets! Actual chirping crickets! Were the engineers having fun with us?

The lead-in groove on Paul Simon's Greatest Hits Etc has it and my I Musici Adagio run-out groove (iirc).

p.s. is the I Musici Complete Analogue Recordings worth it?

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #142,571 of 151,799
Will someone create a tube warming blanket to keep the tube warm at all time...? :ksc75smile:
I suppose if you really wanted to, you could adapt a injector nozzle heater such as these made by Briskheat:

mica_nozzle_heater_21.jpg

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #142,572 of 151,799
So the reverse of water cooling. 😄

Never mind. It's an electrical heater.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #142,573 of 151,799
You’re fired. I think that in addition to the prohibition on politics and religion in this thread, that should be added. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Mar 10, 2024 at 3:46 PM Post #142,575 of 151,799
You’re fired. I think that in addition to the prohibition on politics and religion in this thread, that should be added. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So we should ban all things Nickelodeon? 😕

Users who are viewing this thread

Back