Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 25, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #140,913 of 151,795
Butler also made tube car audio amps.
Reading about Billy Gibbons having Butler tube amps in his Impala is what piqued my interest in car audio.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:03 PM Post #140,914 of 151,795
For those of you looking to have used gear continue to be used, check out local makerspaces, STEM clubs, etc.

I have a QUAD 405, a Dynaco Stereo 400, and an Adcom 400 all needing servicing and no electronic repair skills. Finding an affordable service tech here in Calgary seems impossible. QUAD is the only one of those companies still in business, so I reached out to them and they referred me to the Canadian distributor who in turn referred me to a tech in Laval. So now if I want factory service I need to pay for shipping and a translator... 😞😞

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:05 PM Post #140,915 of 151,795
Ramsey Lewis passed away last year. I thought there would have been at least some recognition of his skills. I heard nothing. He will always have a place in my music catalog and play list.
At least he's getting the recognition here!
Listening 🎧 now... Fantastic.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:10 PM Post #140,916 of 151,795
I have a QUAD 405, a Dynaco Stereo 400, and an Adcom 400 all needing servicing and no electronic repair skills. Finding an affordable service tech here in Calgary seems impossible. QUAD is the only one of those companies still in business, so I reached out to them and they referred me to the Canadian distributor who in turn referred me to a tech in Laval. So now if I want factory service I need to pay for shipping and a translator... 😞😞
Not local to you, but he repairs lots of amps including tubes. Repaired my Dynaco Tube preamp.

http://www.puresoundbc.com/

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #140,917 of 151,795
Yes. Sadly musicians of that era are passing at rates that I dare not contemplate. Joe Sample, Ramsey Lewis and Chic Corea passing (as well as others) are truly sad. Giants in the Jazz genre that willl be missed yet live on with the music they've gifted us. ☹️

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #140,918 of 151,795
Just a quick vague heads up to all you cool cats here on Jason's thread. Don't want to get banned so read between the lines about my old age downsizing efforts. Hahaha.:)

If you think an original, from the first to come out back in 2016, Gungnir Multi-bit, original except for the newer Gen 5 USB (so it's an OGGMBG5??) is the cat's meow you're in luck. It's the last of what was the bedroom system and I wanted to give you guys here first crack because it's part of the sine wave. I feel a little bad because the two Aegirs were gone in minutes and I couldn't even give a vague shout out about like new condition stuff to y'all so this time maybe be on the look out a bit later. You know where.:)

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:26 PM Post #140,919 of 151,795
Yes. Sadly musicians of that era are passing at rates that I dare not contemplate. Joe Sample, Ramsey Lewis and Chic Corea passing (as well as others) are truly sad. Giants in the Jazz genre that willl be missed yet live on with the music they've gifted us. ☹️
Sadly, there is a whole generation of musicians that will be passing away over the next 5-10 years. The world may never see their like again.

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:43 PM Post #140,920 of 151,795
Ramsey Lewis passed away last year. I thought there would have been at least some recognition of his skills. I heard nothing. He will always have a place in my music catalog and play list.

Yep...clearly they're not in...

Feb 25, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #140,921 of 151,795
My TVs aren't connected to the internet. I use Apple TV which gives a bit more control over privacy. Then I just ignore the "bwaaah! No Internet connection" prompts from the TV itself.

I use a projector. No worries about it phoning home. But I have noticed that they are now coming out with Smart projectors as well, so that may soon come to an end. In the meantime my bulb is still good and my Apple TV is easier to use than any of the embedded OSs I've experienced in modern TVs.

When the bulb finally dies I'll try and source a dumb 4k laser projector if they still make them, and that will be it for upgrading.

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #140,923 of 151,795
Just a quick vague heads up to all you cool cats here on Jason's thread. Don't want to get banned so read between the lines about my old age downsizing efforts. Hahaha.:)

If you think an original, from the first to come out back in 2016, Gungnir Multi-bit, original except for the newer Gen 5 USB (so it's an OGGMBG5??) is the cat's meow you're in luck. It's the last of what was the bedroom system and I wanted to give you guys here first crack because it's part of the sine wave. I feel a little bad because the two Aegirs were gone in minutes and I couldn't even give a vague shout out about like new condition stuff to y'all so this time maybe be on the look out a bit later. You know where.:)
Took a peek at your previous "downsizing efforts" and they've gone like hotcakes because you've been far too generous in your estimation of the market.
Safe to say that you've made some Schiitizens very happy to have stumbled across your "vague heads up" when they did.
What is bothersome however is the lack of recognition you've received after the fact ...
Hopefully I'll catch a vague heads up in time someday to help rectify that!
:beerchug:

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:41 PM Post #140,924 of 151,795
Time to fire up the ol’ Time Machine! And it only costs a dollar to ride!

IMG_4207.jpeg

Feb 25, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #140,925 of 151,795
Took a peek at your previous "downsizing efforts" and they've gone like hotcakes because you've been far too generous in your estimation of the market.
Safe to say that you've made some Schiitizens very happy to have stumbled across your "vague heads up" when they did.
What is bothersome however is the lack of recognition you've received after the fact ...
Hopefully I'll catch a vague heads up in time someday to help rectify that!
:beerchug:
Well, thanks. It's like tearing off a bandaid. And honestly I've had some Schiit a while. Seems like yesterday Mike was excited about Gumby. So it's a judgement based on what's sold last couple years and such. I'd rather folks who like Schiit get it, be happy and then we're both happy. It's marked sold quickly and I don't have to answer the "will you take this much?" "Can you do 'friends and family' on the side and take an extra $50.00 off?" LOL

The clock's ticking for us "OG" here and I figure the quicker I can get back to retirement the better. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back