Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #140,386 of 151,505
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #140,387 of 151,505
Me, too. The level of musical detail in the "new" Gumby (pre-discontinuation, with Unison) is just tremendous. I'm using HD800 headphones that are highly resolving; all nuances in the music are revealed. I haven't looked to upgrade gear in years, except for the new Gumby that replaced my old, 5-yr old Gumby B which still works, it was just approaching its end of warranty. So it's the backup. :)

Me three. I haven't had the urge to upgrade from mine yet, and since my main listening area is my desk/workbench, I sure like the Gungnir chassis size.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #140,388 of 151,505
What does HiFi-like mean?

'HIFi' sound? Somehow catchy but unnatural. The feeling I had - and this in a very small room at Schiittr far from ideal to evaluate anything with speakers - was that individual instruments/voices seemed to emerge more isolated than I know in reality they would be. It was interesting but not organic.

This is all very dependent on the full system playback - source, amplification, speakers and most importantly room.

Our brains are very good at deciphering differences for sure. If the treble region only stands out when I'm comparing it to another DAC and not when just listening to it by itself I have to ask myself, which one is "right"; and why does it matter?

Re differences... yeah if the differences stay for the long range, then there is a difference, and I agree with you that it does not define one as better or worse, just different flavor, unless the difference is really large and then something is not right somewhere.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #140,389 of 151,505
In the search for 12a_7 tubes, one builder recommends Raytheon 5751 ... sadly, they cost many monies.

So I tried the Raytheon 5755 with adapter. One part tube, two parts power of suggestion, viola a great sounding tube!

I'm hearing more bass, and a little more space, or openness if you will.
To be fair, I'm a LIM guy, and also installed and removed the 2/64 card in my Bifrost 2, so I am in the "flavor change" department as opposed to "upgrade" or not..
What did you hear when you switched to 2/64, and what is it you missed from B2?

When you switched back to B2, did you find the sound you remembered?

I remember a struggle swapping in the new card, so I hesitate to go back based on trying to recall differences in the dac.

Feb 21, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #140,390 of 151,505
Me three. I haven't had the urge to upgrade from mine yet, and since my main listening area is my desk/workbench, I sure like the Gungnir chassis size.
can't wait to see what Gumby3 brings

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:42 PM Post #140,392 of 151,505
'HIFi' sound? Somehow catchy but unnatural. The feeling I had - and this in a very small room at Schiittr far from ideal to evaluate anything with speakers - was that individual instruments/voices seemed to emerge more isolated than I know in reality they would be. It was interesting but not organic.

This is all very dependent on the full system playback - source, amplification, speakers and most importantly room.
That makes sense--especially the room aspect. I don't know how I could evaluate any equipment using gear I'm unfamiliar with, but equally if not more important, a room I'm unfamiliar with. I suppose we all used to do this to some degree on the sales floor in days past, but I sure appreciate the "try it at home" model that Schiit's return policy allows. Funny thing though, I've never actually returned a piece of Schiit because I was disappointed. I suppose that's why it works for them as well!

Re differences... yeah if the differences stay for the long range, then there is a difference, and I agree with you that it does not define one as better or worse, just different flavor, unless the difference is really large and then something is not right somewhere.
Yes! Long term vs short term is what I was getting at actually. If I'm comparing two pieces of gear, I find that A-B switching back and forth is next to useless. Most of the time I find that it requires days or even weeks with one piece, then switch, and repeat. Even then the end result is often settling for one set of characteristics over another or for "synergy", not necessarily determining which is "best". I find this more and more common as I move higher up the fidelity ladder. It sure makes this hobby fun.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #140,393 of 151,505
I had a Kora Hermes DAC that used s tube-buffered output stage in my 2-channel system. The Yggdrasil (original A1) was better sounding and replaced it. To my ears.

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:11 PM Post #140,396 of 151,505
Well, it's only $16,000, so they had to leave something out for their upgrade path...
Fabulous- i could sell my 2020 Mustang HPP and buy a DAC LMAO...

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #140,399 of 151,505
1708553922738.png

Feb 21, 2024 at 5:39 PM Post #140,400 of 151,505
In the search for 12a_7 tubes, one builder recommends Raytheon 5751 ... sadly, they cost many monies.

So I tried the Raytheon 5755 with adapter. One part tube, two parts power of suggestion, viola a great sounding tube!

I'm hearing more bass, and a little more space, or openness if you will.

What did you hear when you switched to 2/64, and what is it you missed from B2?

When you switched back to B2, did you find the sound you remembered?

I remember a struggle swapping in the new card, so I hesitate to go back based on trying to recall differences in the dac.
On the first part, what amp are you trying those tubes in? At some point this year I'm going to try to keep track of what works where in the 6n1p Schiit family, I'm building up a hoard of novals and will try to post results of what works on Folkvangr, Freya N, possibly upcoming Valhalla 3 (if it wins a shootout against Pietus Maximus for me), and the upcoming Stjarna. All the standard 6922 stuff, and 12a_7 types will be tried.

On second part, the 2/64 was a little more fatiguing on the upper end for me (kind of like mm2). Tubes downline, and Lokius could tame it, but when I went back it felt like putting on a shirt out of the dryer.

I suspect at this point, if there were to be trials, those who like detail retrieval, solid state components, planar headphones, etc, you may be inclined to like the 2/64, Yggy OG/Mib, etc, and if you like warmth, like tubes, etc, you may be inclined to like BF2 OG, Yggy LIM. This is just my guess based on what I've tried, and not a hard and fast rule. I blame my (still mild) tinnitus ha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back