Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #140,341 of 152,782
My Yggy has undergone many upgrades over the years, from OG A1 to OG A2 to Yggy+ (chassis) and also to USB5 and then Unison.

I also bought LIM boards and listened to them for 6 months. I then switched back to OG A2 after 6 months and, to my taste, OG A2 is vastly superior to LIM. LIM sounds deeply veiled in comparison. I don't imagine I'll ever listen to LIM again.

My impression too having heard LIM at the Schiittr (even though I would not say LIM is veiled, I would think it is more HiFi like) and then deciding to order a Yggy+ OG without having heard it. My decision was based on the many opinions of owners of the top Yggy model (OG). What I hear sounds right, instrument timbre is correct and spatial cues are natural. I noticed that when other people hear it they instinctively tap their feet or start directing the ensemble with their hands; that tells me that it sounds real to them. Same recording played digitally through the Yggy or LP version played by my TT sound very similar - very close tone balance and sound field presentation. That tells me both are pretty right.

I am a believer in instantaneous differences gain, catastrophe theory. When 2 items are different their differences are emphasized in one's mind. When I hear that MIB has a distinct treble region that worries me - it may be very nice, very clear, but it should not stand out. To be real nothing in the sound field should stand out.

In any case, no FOMO here. I knew MIB was coming and still decided to get the OG. I suspect this MIB is an interim product as it does not have discrete balanced analog stages, a de facto requirement in all Schiit Audio top tier products. We will see what the future brings, but honestly I hear nothing missing in what I hear now.

Thanks to all who wrote about their MIB impressions and especially to @dstrimbu, someone I particularly respect!

Edit: clarification of 'top Yggy'.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #140,342 of 152,782
I was told by a Dealer, back in Theta Digital days, when I asked, that there is no such thing as Gen 4, the number 4 having somewhat odd characteristics.
There is also this...
3C8EDD02-DADD-4F28-9C87-4A1D1E7839F8.jpeg

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:31 PM Post #140,343 of 152,782
My impression too having heard LIM at the Schiittr (even though I would not say LIM is veiled, I would think it is more HiFi like) and then deciding to order a Yggy+ OG without having heard it. My decision was based on the many opinions of top Yggy owners. What I hear sounds right, instrument timbre is correct and spatial cues are natural. I noticed that when other people hear it they instinctively tap their feet or start directing the ensemble with their hands; that tells me that it sounds real to them. Same recording played digitally through the Yggy or LP version played by my TT sound very similar - very close tone balance and sound field presentation. That tells me both are pretty right.

I am a believer in instantaneous differences gain, catastrophe theory. When 2 items are different their differences are emphasized in one's mind. When I hear that MIB has a distinct treble region that worries me - it may be very nice, very clear, but it should not stand out. To be real nothing in the sound field should stand out.

In any case, no FOMO here. I knew MIB was coming and still decided to get the OG. I suspect this MIB is an interim product as it does not have discrete balanced analog stages, a de facto requirement in all Schiit Audio top tier products. We will see what the future brings, but honestly I hear nothing missing in what I hear now.

Thanks to all who wrote about their MIB impressions and especially to @dstrimbu, someone I particularly respect!
What is a "top Yggy owner"?

To be fair, I'm a LIM guy, and also installed and removed the 2/64 card in my Bifrost 2, so I am in the "flavor change" department as opposed to "upgrade" or not..

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #140,344 of 152,782
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #140,346 of 152,782
Eight tubes in a DAC?...phooey.

It needs that much cascading tubes to lower the impedance enough to not cause damping issues with certain amps since it doesn't have a transformer being an OTL DAC

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:44 PM Post #140,347 of 152,782
There is also this...
Traditionally, 4 is unlucky because it is sometimes pronounced shi, which is the word for death. Sometimes levels or rooms with 4 do not exist in hospitals or hotels. Particularly in the maternity section of a hospital, the room number 43 is avoided because it can literally mean "stillbirth".
This is in Japan.
I had to learn both Japanese and Chinese protocol at one point. How to bow, make toasts, use of chopsticks etc.

. The number 3 is an unlucky number in relationships. In Mandarin, the number 3 can sound like the word “apart,” so it's bad luck if it involves weddings or romance in general. However, apart from situations regarding relationships, the 3 is considered neutral or even positive.

My son performed a wedding in Japan (most anyone can) and if money is given as a wedding gift you should avoid the number 3, unless you disapproved of the union. Give say 333 dollars and you really dislike the couple.

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #140,348 of 152,782
Kreuz Market (about 20 miles east/south-east of Austin Airport
Any of the Coopers locations
Yeah - Franklin (good luck)
The Salt Lick (driftwood).

Dang, man, you can’t swing a stick in hill country without hitting excellent barbecue…

This (February) is the time of year I *miss* Texas (being in NH and it’s only 9F this AM)
In line at Franklin, probably should have brought a book.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:53 PM Post #140,349 of 152,782
I'm confident it will be worth the wait.

Feb 21, 2024 at 12:56 PM Post #140,350 of 152,782
There is the factor of my ever-practical wife: Kitchen and bathroom renos looming, acquiring a car in the Spring, travel this year, my Gumby stack giving me audio-pleasure surpassing anything I've had before it every time I fire it up...
Let's see....how to treat my FOMO after just squeaking a used Yggy OG A2/Unison into the budget before retiring and hearing how wonderful the MiB is. Do I ration the cat treats until I've saved enough for a MiB (or MiB++ by that time) or just take a deep breath and realize how much I enjoy the current Yggy? Give me a minute to make a latte, add some Irish Cream, toss on the headphones and cogitate.
I think both of you boys need to just settle DEEEEEEEP into some excellent tunes and forget that fraction-of-a-fractionally 'better' Yggys even exist. 🤭

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #140,351 of 152,782
I think both of you boys need to just settle DEEEEEEEP into some excellent tunes and wonder how much better it would sound on a fractionally 'better' Yggy. 🤭
FTFY. :wink:

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #140,352 of 152,782
I wonder why my Aegir is only luke warm ....... :thinking:

Feb 21, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #140,355 of 152,782
If I recall correctly, MIB uses opamps because to implement in a discrete fashion would have required reworking the Yggy power supply. Jason commented on this in a prior post.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back