Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 28, 2016 at 5:01 PM Post #13,711 of 150,692
I have stacked my Schiit to the perfect height. I am listening to Count Basie 
Computer > Yggy > MJ2 (great tubes) > Jotunheim > LCD3f and it is sounding better than ever after adding the Jot. 
I asked Nick @ Schiit what he thought would be better, MJ2 or MJ2 > Jot and there was no opinion but I am definitely hearing a cleaner more dynamic amazing sound. Quite an awesome listening experience!

EDIT: this is all balanced and after listening to Max Richeter's version of Vivaldi 4 Seasons it is truly amazing. I am not making Schiit up adding Jot as an amp is WAY better than Mjolnir 2 by itself. So much cleaner and more dynamic. 
The disclaimer now is that I haven't listened to Jot by itself but I have no motivation at this time, this Schiit is just STUNNING!!!!11

Now let's try Pink Floyd, Delicate Sound of Thunder, Learning to Fly...

Holie Schiit!!! Jotunheim is extremely impressive!!!

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:39 PM Post #13,713 of 150,692
Yes there in nothing better than a large stacked pile of steaming Schiit to drive your headphones:). I am going to get Bifrost Multibit, for my third listening room. Schiit Audio is one of the best companies out there and all of their gear is just rock solid. I plan to use the Bifrost Multibit with one of three amps, for late night listening. The three amps that I will be using is 1) Asgard 2, 3) Lyr2, and 3) Liquid Carbon. I just moved and my one beloved old cat will not come out from under the bed, unless I am in the room. So I got a tv, hooked to a amazon streaming device. I hope once my cat gets use to the condo, I can go back to my other rooms. But until then I would like to use headphones and not disturb the emergency room doctor, living next door. Anyway Schiit Audio rules, and I am glad I have a couple of piles of steaming schiit to drive my headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sorry for the off-topic post:

From one cat owner to another, I'd suggest you check out Feliway.  You can get spray as well as diffusers (they are like the Glad Airwick plug ins).  Pick up a Feliway diffuser and plug them into a couple rooms.  They release a synthetic pheromone that is supposed to help calm them and help them adjust to new areas.

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #13,714 of 150,692
  hello,

@Jason Stoddard, all i want is a machined groove on the side of the volume knob (if you look at it as a cylinder), matching the position of the machined dimple on the base (front) of the volume knob so it would easier to judge the knob's relative position without having to stare at it, i.e. by touch.

but then i have very old eyes.
triportsad.gif

I have to agree with this. This is the only downside to my Valhalla 2, not being able to tell where the volume control is at. Jason, you could offer an aftermarket knob perhaps for those of us with less than perfect vision. Otherwise, the Valhalla is perfect for my needs and it keeps my room warm in the winter too ;P.

Oct 28, 2016 at 7:57 PM Post #13,715 of 150,692
Yes there in nothing better than a large stacked pile of steaming Schiit to drive your headphones:). I am going to get Bifrost Multibit, for my third listening room. Schiit Audio is one of the best companies out there and all of their gear is just rock solid. I plan to use the Bifrost Multibit with one of three amps, for late night listening. The three amps that I will be using is 1) Asgard 2, 3) Lyr2, and 3) Liquid Carbon. I just moved and my one beloved old cat will not come out from under the bed, unless I am in the room. So I got a tv, hooked to a amazon streaming device. I hope once my cat gets use to the condo, I can go back to my other rooms. But until then I would like to use headphones and not disturb the emergency room doctor, living next door. Anyway Schiit Audio rules, and I am glad I have a couple of piles of steaming schiit to drive my headphones.
smily_headphones1.gif

Hey, thanks for the impressions of Yggy on another thread (the gumby thread I believe it was). I got a yggy and love it! In fact I'm saving for another one, since I have multiple "listening stations"

All the best!

Oct 28, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #13,716 of 150,692
It seems a few different people are using the Mjolnir (or another tube amp) as a preamp for the Jotie. I, too, can vouch for the subjective improvement that a superior preamp brings to the Jotunheim (volume control on Jotie all the way up, used as if it were a power amp) - I had good results using a dedicated solid state preamp in between my DAC and the Jotie, even. 

If the Mjolnir works well in this type of scenario, I'd be excited to hear the Freya (which will be far superior for preamp usage).

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #13,718 of 150,692

I have to agree with this. This is the only downside to my Valhalla 2, not being able to tell where the volume control is at. Jason, you could offer an aftermarket knob perhaps for those of us with less than perfect vision. Otherwise, the Valhalla is perfect for my needs and it keeps my room warm in the winter too ;P.

I too wanted to be able to tell, by feel, where the MOAR knob was, so I 'borrowed' some RED fingernail enamel and filled in the dimple on the knob…

Now it's easy to feel when the potential for awakening the neighbors at 3am can be averted…
Not to mention saving my hearing from unintended 'excessius blasticus' (latin for OMG that was loud)…

JJ 
atsmile.gif

Oct 28, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #13,719 of 150,692

If my memory serves me right there is a dimple in the knob. A strategically placed drop of red , black or other color of polish inside the dimple and allowed to dry before you laid it backdown should give you a good visual indicator. or if the led is not enough light.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GUA92RQ/ref=pd_bxgy_200_img_3ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00GUA92RQ&pd_rd_r=H7ECSW94D92VBRQHB5H3&pd_rd_w=lk5Tn&pd_rd_wg=0m0vt&psc=1&refRID=H7ECSW94D92VBRQHB5H3

Edit. Umm yeah what that guy above me said :)

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:52 PM Post #13,720 of 150,692
  If you like the H360, don't audition the BIG brother, the H30. Just sayin' 
wink_face.gif

No chance, the H30 + preamp are too big for the space I have in out living room, the H360 is the bulkiest compatible with marital harmony.

Oct 28, 2016 at 10:58 PM Post #13,721 of 150,692

These are what I'm considering:
Magni 2 Uber + Modi 2 Uber 
Or
Asgard 2 + Bifrost 

I can comment only on solid state. I loved the upgrade from Bifrost Uber (delta-sigma) to Bifrost Multibit: better instrument separation and imaging, more accurate attacks and decays. And then I really liked the upgrade from Asgard 2 (single ended) to Jotunheim (balanced). Even single-ended, the Jotunheim has in my view a tighter, cleaner mid-to-upper range and denser, more delineated bass, but it really shines balanced.

Oct 28, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #13,722 of 150,692
What if we made a factory of 3D Printers that created in mass, custom orders.  :D

I do believe that is the future, still a ways off, but I am sure it will happen someday. Hell, China probably already does it for some items, who knows.  AMPS and DAC's next :D

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:27 AM Post #13,724 of 150,692
  hello,

@Jason Stoddard, all i want is a machined groove on the side of the volume knob (if you look at it as a cylinder), matching the position of the machined dimple on the base (front) of the volume knob so it would easier to judge the knob's relative position without having to stare at it, i.e. by touch.

but then i have very old eyes.
triportsad.gif

I like brightly lit rooms when I'm working with power tools and sharp kitchen cutlery, not in my listening room. It's distracting. And I've never attended any concert at an indoor venue be it classical, jazz, or rock, where they turn the house lights up when the performers commence to play. That's my biggest annoyance with my 3 Schiit amps. Even with the lights up in my living room I'm still struggling to see where the volume is set. Old eyes here as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back