Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #136,996 of 155,083
I get that. They're fully tested, NOS, all good, price is under $40 for the pair.

I should have been more specific. Has any one used these in a Freya N or other gear? How do people rate them subjectively against other similar tubes? Do they have a good reputation amongst tubers? Does it bring out/recess vocals? Does it muddy the bass or bring clarity to it? Mids? Highs? Do they do a lot or very little to the sound? Etc.
I can't offer any sonic impressions (sorry), but I will say that's a very good price for 1950's NOS Tung-Sols.

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #136,997 of 155,083
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #136,998 of 155,083
I haven't been a Schiitizen for all that long, but I still remember a time before Loki was a thing.

It was a time in audiophilia when pretty much everybody and their grandma didn't hesitate to have you know in no uncertain terms that EQ is the devil. How dare you to alter your signal, it's not "what the artist intended."
If you wanted an EQ anyway, you either had to go looking for a 20 years old one on ebay, or build your own. Pretty much nobody even bothered to make them anymore as a result of this universally accepted "truth" that EQ is unequivocally bad.

…in walks Jason with his Loki…

That was, what, three years ago?
Four, maybe?

Today, EQ is accepted by the audio cognoscenti to be a nice to have add-on to any system worth its salt, with new EQs being released by manufacturers left and right. Some, of course, will even go so far as to insist with the same conviction and sincerity with which they previously preached the evils of EQ that having one somewhere in your chain is nothing short of a requirement.

Isn't it funny how these things so often go…? 🙄

I have a strong hunch that this wasn't the last Schiit-induced 180 that I will gleefully watch unfold within this industry.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #137,000 of 155,083
I can't offer any sonic impressions (sorry), but I will say that's a very good price for 1950's NOS Tung-Sols.

Thanks!

It's been a good day: I purchased a bunch of ECC88's: 8 Reflectors for the cathode follower output stage. I've found they complement whatever I put in the differential voltage gain stage sockets. Also purchased were those 2 Tung-Sols, 2 NOS Telefunken's, and I'm waiting for a seller to get back to me so I can buy 8 or 10 1960's Amperex tubes.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:40 PM Post #137,001 of 155,083
I've had mixed results from vintage or even NOS tubes, so buyer beware. My favorite ECC88's are Genelec Gold Lions, which can be purchased new.

What do you like about them?

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #137,002 of 155,083
Thanks!

It's been a good day: I purchased a bunch of ECC88's: 8 Reflectors for the cathode follower output stage. I've found they complement whatever I put in the differential voltage gain stage sockets. Also purchased were those 2 Tung-Sols, 2 NOS Telefunken's, and I'm waiting for a seller to get back to me so I can buy 8 or 10 1960's Amperex tubes.
Was your account hacked? This sounds like @bcowen tube hoarding 🤣

Jan 20, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #137,005 of 155,083
Jan 20, 2024 at 3:49 PM Post #137,006 of 155,083
I haven't been a Schiitizen for all that long, but I still remember a time before Loki was a thing.

It was a time in audiophilia when pretty much everybody and their grandma didn't hesitate to have you know in no uncertain terms that EQ is the devil. How dare you to alter your signal, it's not "what the artist intended."
If you wanted an EQ anyway, you either had to go looking for a 20 years old one on ebay, or build your own. Pretty much nobody even bothered to make them anymore as a result of this universally accepted "truth" that EQ is unequivocally bad.

…in walks Jason with his Loki…

That was, what, three years ago?
Four, maybe?

Today, EQ is accepted by the audio cognoscenti to be a nice to have add-on to any system worth its salt, with new EQs being released by manufacturers left and right. Some, of course, will even go so far as to insist with the same conviction and sincerity with which they previously preached the evils of EQ that having one somewhere in your chain is nothing short of a requirement.

Isn't it funny how these things so often go…? 🙄

I have a strong hunch that this wasn't the last Schiit-induced 180 that I will gleefully watch unfold within this industry.
I’ve had a Loki for a few years, and although I don’t use it very often, it’s nice to know it’s there for those records that are otherwise unlistenable.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:03 PM Post #137,008 of 155,083
Jan 20, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #137,009 of 155,083
Wow, Martens! Never had the pleasure. Besides "glorious" how would you describe their sound?
If TOS711’s experience is anything like mine, owning another speaker designer/builder’s 3-way floorstanders with ceramic accuton midranges, words like “crystal clear, precise, and fast” are accurate. Good recordings sound spectacular through these drivers.

Jan 20, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #137,010 of 155,083
What do you like about them?
The midrange is warm and more forward than a standard flat presentation, and while some might call the bass "bloomed" I like that it is slightly emphasized. So basically they introduce a slight "house curve."

I had some very highly regarded Amperex white label NOS 6922 tubes that seemed to lack high end, and the Telefunken and Siemens flavors I have seem to de-emphasize the mids (like an old-school graphic EQ "smiley face" curve.) As in all things, YMMV!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back