Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 21, 2023 at 8:44 PM Post #130,861 of 151,185
That's a pretty narrow-minded view. It has been objectively proven that there have been running changes in Schiit products that have changed the sound. Objective meaning that people have opened up the products and compared the innards. Different opamps in Bifrost or Modi if I remember correctly, for one. Different motherboards for the original Ragnarok (the so-called Ragnarok v1.5), which improved stability but also changed the sound signature. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten and some that we don't know about.

Zooming out from running changes, Schiit comes up with new products all the time that have component changes. For example, different DAC chips in their budget line after the AKM factory burned to the ground. Those kind of events force a drastic component change don't you think? Or perhaps what we're seeing with Yggdrasil Analog 2 / OG given Analog Devices chip shortages and current pricing. Moreoever, the changes in Schiit multibit DAC performance as on-time increases has been scientifically and objectively shown by AtomicBob. See this post showing differences in measured jitter with Yggdrasil at three hours of on-time vs. 408 hours on-time.

You've been a member long enough to know about all this, and I assume you've also been a member long enough to know when someone might be using hyperbole and/or that they just plain might be hearing something you don't. Whatever the case, @Whoopknacker is just sharing their experiences and you can put whatever stock in them you want, as can the rest of us. I'd like to keep hearing from them as they're one of the few that have the MIB and are actually posting about it.
I did not say that there have not been running changes in Schiit products. Of course that happens with every new version of the product. That is not what I commented on.

It would be nice to hear from @Jason Stoddard if he agrees or has any control over component burning in and how that deviates from stated specs.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #130,862 of 151,185
That switch is right outta The Great Race (one of my favourite movies to this day. In our ICBM silos we had a switch labeled “Well Off”. I guess we were, at that…
The Great Race is the "pie fight movie" in my house. Truly a Blake Edwards masterpiece.

There's a snippet about it in a Stuff You Should Know about pie's in the face. When they were shooting that scene, they broke for the weekend. The smell when they got back!

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:25 PM Post #130,863 of 151,185
Oh no! That sucks that you can’t have it take feet anymore. The thing I like most about the stand is that as it has more weight on it with gear etc, it becomes even more stable. I don’t put too much weight on it, just my streamer, the dac, the amp, and then the lower shelves hold all my headphone cases and a small pelican case for my custom cables, custom terminations, and interconnects.
I was planning to load it up with some keeper albums. Thanksgiving is slowing that plan down. I did put a picture of mine in the Mjolnir3 thread, before its unfortunate accident.

I do like it. @bcowen would, too, as it seems to be made from a sort of cardboard-based material.

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #130,865 of 151,185
... One example of an extremely hot SACD that I've seen mentioned a lot is Michael Jackson's Thriller. ...
Doesn't Thriller predate digital?

Nov 21, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #130,867 of 151,185
Enjoying some early Paul Simon. What a story teller...

Screenshot_20231121_204353_Roon.jpg

Have I mentioned lately how much I love my Schiit? 😍

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #130,869 of 151,185
Nov 21, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #130,870 of 151,185

Indie is actually one of the top genres that I choose to listen then Folk and Jazz then Rock/metal/alternative after

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #130,871 of 151,185
So I have finally got Led Zeppelin to sound how I want it.

Schiit Jotunheim 2, Bifrost 2/64 and Hifiman Arya Stealth. But, the magic was me combining that with ripping the Remasters CDs that I bought in the 90s. I haven't got any vinyl rips off the original albums, but this is better than all the later Remasters in HD that I have tried. The LCD-2 Classic are decent as well, but this is just right.
Screenshot_2023-11-21-22-37-43-776_com.roon.mobile-edit.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:40 PM Post #130,872 of 151,185
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:51 PM Post #130,873 of 151,185
Nov 22, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #130,874 of 151,185
In response to all the cockpit shots…

Sorry, pedant alert.....
It would usually be sitting on a taxiway. Most of the time once you get to the runway takeoff is only ~60 seconds away or less.
(* in my experience)

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #130,875 of 151,185
Steal My Kisses is is one of my bass test tracks. With the Mytek Brooklyn the drop beat at 2:25, 2:28 etc is stunning. With the Yggy MIB, I have to
strain to even hear it.
Phasing?

I can get from really deep drop beats at these timing points to not much at all depending on where I stand in relation to distance from my system. Noting I can go as far back as 30 feet or more back in a big room. So room gain too plays a part.

Perhaps the Yggy is in opposite phase to the Mytek and if you move somewhere else in the room it changes for both DACs.

** Just heard another deep bass track from Otnika - "Another Goodbye" ... Check it out

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back