Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 21, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #130,846 of 151,220
In high end audio maybe, but you just said audio in your original post.
If I recall correct, I mentioned price in the second sentence in that post.

But I do mean ALL audio.
Also in $ 100 units there are 10 cents parts units to be found and top quality products like Schitt started out with and still makes them.

Chifi is a good example how it can go both ways in low price audio with the biggest crap to fairly good audio products.

In High End they have made the marketing BS into modern art and ask prices accordingly.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #130,847 of 151,220
Skoll! Skoll in the B-Stock!

IMG_5809.gif

:wink:

Nov 21, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #130,848 of 151,220
if anyone can hear the advantages offered by DSD conversion, you can!
I am intrigued by how an R2R DAC would go about converting DSD to analog
I've not actually compared all options with the Holo DACs, I went directly from NOS PCM to HQPlayer upsampling and DSD modulation, which sharpened the auditory image while preserving the DAC's total density. The Holo DACs have two conversion ladders, one for PCM and the other for DSD.

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #130,850 of 151,220
In response to all the cockpit shots…

IMG_1904.jpeg

Reminds me of one time flying home from DFW. We taxied for what seemed like an hour when someone behind me asked how much longer we'd be taxiing. I replied, "Well, we just passed a sign that says 'Welcome to Oklahoma'." :laughing:

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:23 PM Post #130,852 of 151,220
Vali 149.-
Lyr 599.-

Maybe space for another tube amp in between those two?
Yes, it is called Valhalla ($399) and version 3 will come out next year. Can't wait to see how it compares to the Lyr.

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:27 PM Post #130,853 of 151,220
Yes, it is called Valhalla ($399) and version 3 will come out next year. Can't wait to see how it compares to the Lyr.
deleted because I can’t find the post supporting the statement I made

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #130,854 of 151,220
In response to all the cockpit shots…

Funny - not funny :)

Reminds me of one time flying home from DFW. We taxied for what seemed like an hour when someone behind me asked how much longer we'd be taxiing. I replied, "Well, we just passed a sign that says 'Welcome to Oklahoma'." :laughing:
A few months ago I was flying from Houston (IAH) to DFW. Due to a runway closure at IAH our taxi time to get to the runway was 1:40. Flight time was :50. Another :20 getting to the gate in DFW. Said another way, 2 hours of taxi time with only 50 minutes of flight time. I hate those kinds of days.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #130,855 of 151,220

Attachments

• austin-powers-mike-myers.gif
    austin-powers-mike-myers.gif
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Nov 21, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #130,856 of 151,220
Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #130,857 of 151,220
Funny - not funny :)

A few months ago I was flying from Houston (IAH) to DFW. Due to a runway closure at IAH our taxi time to get to the runway was 1:40. Flight time was :50. Another :20 getting to the gate in DFW. Said another way, 2 hours of taxi time with only 50 minutes of flight time. I hate those kinds of days.
I've had flights like those, mainly the couple times I did CLT - GSP, push back from the gate in CLT, spend 40 to 50 minutes taxing, less than 30 minutes in the air, 10 more minutes taxing and sit waiting for the ground crew to walk out in GSP.

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:30 PM Post #130,858 of 151,220
The majority of hifi rigs are insufficiently resolving to tell, therefore the majority of customers are easy. If you haven’t spent 100 hours moving speakers around, you don’t know what I am talking about. At a certain point your rig becomes more revealing than the test equipment used to engineer it. At that point, small things like cleaning contacts makes a worth while difference. Do you have a local hifi store you can saddle up in? Sitting down in front of a finely tuned 1/4 million dollar system is kind of a cool way to spend an afternoon and can give you some range of perspective. Or not.
Ah! A quarter million dollar system… and the rest of us never heard anything or can have a different opinion.

The only reason I even commented coincided with a discussion with a long time Schiitizen on Schiit component warmup and the consensus clearly was that parts changes were never part of the process, or stated specs would be all over the map.

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #130,859 of 151,220
Sorry but I do not buy that. Schiit would not be in business if their products would change by drastic component changes. No way.

The only reason I even commented coincided with a discussion with a long time Schiitizen on Schiit component warmup and the consensus clearly was that parts changes were never part of the process, or stated specs would be all over the map.

That's a pretty narrow-minded view. It has been objectively proven that there have been running changes in Schiit products that have changed the sound. Objective meaning that people have opened up the products and compared the innards. Different opamps in Bifrost or Modi if I remember correctly, for one. Different motherboards for the original Ragnarok (the so-called Ragnarok v1.5), which improved stability but also changed the sound signature. I'm sure there are others I've forgotten and some that we don't know about.

Zooming out from running changes, Schiit comes up with new products all the time that have component changes. For example, different DAC chips in their budget line after the AKM factory burned to the ground. Those kind of events force a drastic component change don't you think? Or perhaps what we're seeing with Yggdrasil Analog 2 / OG given Analog Devices chip shortages and current pricing. Moreoever, the changes in Schiit multibit DAC performance as on-time increases has been scientifically and objectively shown by AtomicBob. See this post showing differences in measured jitter with Yggdrasil at three hours of on-time vs. 408 hours on-time.

You've been a member long enough to know about all this, and I assume you've also been a member long enough to know when someone might be using hyperbole and/or that they just plain might be hearing something you don't. Whatever the case, @Whoopknacker is just sharing their experiences and you can put whatever stock in them you want, as can the rest of us. I'd like to keep hearing from them as they're one of the few that have the MIB and are actually posting about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back