Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 1, 2023 at 11:50 PM Post #129,766 of 152,027
Nov 2, 2023 at 12:42 AM Post #129,767 of 152,027
You'd need a CIA black site and unlimited torture to get a death bed confession out of Jason to get close to an endorsement for what Schiit sounds best 🤣

@Jason Stoddard said plenty in the FAQ... which I'm guessing he wishes more people would read. In fact, this is the most straight-forward call out I've seen for a piece of Schiit equipment. What it doesn't say is that you could also just buy the Bifrost 2/64 and be fine too. 🏁 I owned one for a short while and decided to play with an Ayre unit along with my other Ayre stuff.

What I'm really starting to sniff around for is a lower power, Top Shelf, Zero-Negative Feedback amp to pair with 94dB speakers...

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 12.29.37 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 12.30.03 AM.png

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 1:32 AM Post #129,768 of 152,027
Nov 2, 2023 at 1:38 AM Post #129,769 of 152,027
Nov 2, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #129,770 of 152,027
My current setup is Urd > AES/EBU > Yggy.
Most of my listening is thru NUC/Roon ROCK > USB> Yggy.
Quite happy with both. No reason to change.

Edit:

I know it's not popular to quote oneself but -

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8125#post-17652618

and

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sch...bable-start-up.701900/page-8157#post-17662853
The post above refers to Urd outputs. I just got an AES/EBU cable and my initial take is that AES/EBU between Urd and Yggy sounds quite good, wider stage more 3D, than USB.
Digital cables can’t possibly make a difference! That’s what my engineering mind tells me.

That’s what I thought until about a week ago, when I tried a silver coax cable (BNC.)

I know AES is supposed to be best, but I now prefer BNC over AES. Maybe those single-ended greybeards were on to something after all… :wink:

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:05 AM Post #129,772 of 152,027
@Jason Stoddard said plenty in the FAQ... which I'm guessing he wishes more people would read. In fact, this is the most straight-forward call out I've seen for a piece of Schiit equipment. What it doesn't say is that you could also just buy the Bifrost 2/64 and be fine too. 🏁 I owned one for a short while and decided to play with an Ayre unit along with my other Ayre stuff.

What I'm really starting to sniff around for is a lower power, Top Shelf, Zero-Negative Feedback amp to pair with 94dB speakers...

Screenshot 2023-11-02 at 12.29.37 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-11-02 at 12.30.03 AM.png
This is all couched. Nowhere does it endorse a 2/64.

Nov 2, 2023 at 4:23 AM Post #129,773 of 152,027
Does this mean I have to wait 63 years for the Canucks to win (2033)?
No, it does not. Those are American years... so... converted to Canadian years... oh jeez... never mind. 🤣

Nucks will win when Bettman retires and Frannie can blow the cap.

Meanwhile just enjoy the 6-2-1 starting record. Best since '05. Oh... and don't forget to plan the parade... :ksc75smile:

Nov 2, 2023 at 6:31 AM Post #129,774 of 152,027
Digital cables can’t possibly make a difference! That’s what my engineering mind tells me.

That’s what I thought until about a week ago, when I tried a silver coax cable (BNC.)

I know AES is supposed to be best, but I now prefer BNC over AES. Maybe those single-ended greybeards were on to something after all… :wink:
I also like BNC.
I use DH Labs’ Silver Sonic cables.
D-750 for BNC to BNC and D110 for AES/EBU.
As a bit of a ‘cable sceptic’ I considered these to be pretty extravagant purchases, despite being ‘cheap’ compared with some cables on the market.
My thanks to @the finisher for recommending DH Labs cables several years ago on this forum.
I am very happy with both.
Well made, good quality and they ‘sound’ great.
My experience has been that AES/EBU vs BNC sound quality depends a lot on the design quality of the inputs and outputs on respective DACs and digital sources.
For example, with my old streamer, BNC is the clear winner into Yggy OG.
With a CD Transport ( hands up, it’s not an Urd so it doesn’t have Unison USB output..) I prefer AES but they are very close.
Ygyy OG gives so many input options :relaxed:
Superb design.
I look forward to reading about the MIB variant, which Jason is clearly very excited about, but
I’ll stick with my ‘classic’ original Yggy A2. :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #129,775 of 152,027
I also like BNC.
I use DH Labs’ Silver Sonic cables.
D-750 for BNC to BNC and D110 for AES/EBU.
As a bit of a ‘cable sceptic’ I considered these to be pretty extravagant purchases, despite being ‘cheap’ compared with some cables on the market.
My thanks to @the finisher for recommending DH Labs cables several years ago on this forum.
I am very happy with both.
Well made, good quality and they ‘sound’ great.
My experience has been that AES/EBU vs BNC sound quality depends a lot on the design quality of the inputs and outputs on respective DACs and digital sources.
For example, with my old streamer, BNC is the clear winner into Yggy OG.
With a CD Transport ( hands up, it’s not an Urd so it doesn’t have Unison USB output..) I prefer AES but they are very close.
Ygyy OG gives so many input options :relaxed:
Superb design.
I look forward to reading about the MIB variant, which Jason is clearly very excited about, but
I’ll stick with my ‘classic’ original Yggy A2. :beyersmile:
I just checked out their web site. My first reaction was, "man, they're real proud of their schiit." No, that's not true. My first reaction was, "Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!"

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #129,778 of 152,027

Digital cables carry a clock signal, which in many ways can be treated as analog. As in, it's not a simple 'did the bits get there intact' question.

Cables not made to the correct characteristic impedance may adversely affect jitter and this can be measured. Though it's not something that one needs to spend lots on, just make sure you're getting one that is made tightly to spec. Van Damme and Mogami both have ones I've verified to be very close

Nov 2, 2023 at 9:26 AM Post #129,779 of 152,027
So, the main reason why Schiit has such a passionate fan base, the main reason why Schiit tends to have customers who prefer to have only Schiit products in their stacks instead of an eclectic mix of different brands, is quite simply: Schiit's fantastic branding.
Schiit is not alone in fanatical support. As a member of the PS Audio Forums (yes I own some too), I laugh at the fanatical support of anything they put out. Although they do have a lot of good (albeit expensive) stuff, the PSA Heads drink the Koolaide and cry accolades from the mountaintops on everything and anything Paul puts out. I reckon though that PS Audio and Schiit's fanatical support pales in comparison to McIntosh. There probably isn't a bigger, more dedicated fan base than McIntosh. Note: no scientific data just a hunch on my part.

I wonder with regards to Schiit and PS Audio if the common thread is a CEO who is constantly in the public eye, very accessible and personally responds. There is comfort in feeling like you're a part of a family than just another big corporation. This doesn't explain McIntosh. I suspect more than anything it is the beautiful hardware McIntosh produces. It's hard to beat those soft green lights and meters glowing in a dark room. No I don't own any McIntosh equipment, but I've always been in awe of how beautiful that gear looks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back